Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do these need any type of gasket sealer prior to installing? What is the best oil filter to use on a 1980 GL1100?
Thanks,
Sincerely,
Nightrider1

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Do you mean the original cartridge filter or a spin on filter adapter? No gasket sealer in either case. Brand is up to you but I am opposed to fram, Wix or Napa is good.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks.
I was planning to go with the NAPA Gold 1348. (and It was the spin on oil adaptor. Would you know the torque?)
Thanks!
Nightrider1

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

You must be referring to a spin on then, put oil or grease on the gasket to make it easier to remove.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
imported post

The adaptor should come with an o-ring. Randakk recomends no oil on it so it will stay put. I put a light coating of oil on and turned it as tight asHI possibly could with my hands. The filter itself gets snugged up good by hand and the adaptor has never come off. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

I would like to put one of these adaptor on my 1983 1100 but i had aafter market air scope that mountsin frount of the oil filter, how much more will the filter stick out with this adaptor? Thanks for any help. JIM

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I got a PUROLATOR on mine ,,,,,its gold!! Just spin them on good and hand tight just like on a car ,,,put them too tight and you will have to remove adapter to get it off.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Once again, thanks to y'all, you've answered my question. I was wondering about the clearance of the adapter and spin-on filter behind the chrome spoiler ... and there it was! Looked at the thread indicated and my questions were answered! :bowing:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

What is the issue with the Fram PH2951? The Puralator ia about 1 inch longer. I am worried I may not havve enough room.
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

What is the Puralator Number for the Oil Filter for the Spin on Adaptor? Anyone know?
Thanks,
Nightrider1

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

HELP!!!
I can only get my oil filter adaptor to spin on nearly 1/2 of the way in on my GL1100. Does anyone know if this is normal? What do you use other than an oil filter wrench to get in in the rest of the way? Is it supposed to screw in all the way easily? Idid not recieve any instructions in a trade. Is it supposed to "Stop" 1/2 way in by hand?
Thanks,
David

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

It should go all the way by hand, do not force it, it is probably the wrong thread. The adapters are 3/4" pipe thread.
Why they don't make then 20mm so a Honda filter or equivalent would fit is a total mystery. They would only have to cut 1 thread size on the spud instead of one metric and 1 US pipe thread.
Come to think of it, maybe this one is 20mm instead of 3/4 is why it won't go on all the way.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Dave,

I meant the adaptor to the engine. Is that what you were talking about? The oil filter fits easily onto the adaptor.

Thanks,

David

·
Administrator
26,570 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I misread your post. I did think you meant the filter to the adapter. The adapter should screw on easily too.
Another though occurred to me, compare the threads on the adapter to the threads on the old oil filter bolt. Hold them where the threads are together and see if they match.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

David... Dave430 is right on.. sounds like you have thread issues.. it should not have to be forced until mating surfaces are in contact... and the 3/4" and 20mm threads are so close to the same that it takes several turns before they bind up... Where did you get your adapter???

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I got in in a trade with a member. Never been installed. I didn't recieve any instructions, so after it stopped dead in it's tracks by hand, I stopped everything. I will do a thread chech tommorrow at Autozone. If they are incorrect, I will go OEM. I verified on Randallk"s site after emailing him, and it is a typeA, #3614

Thanks Dave and Jim, I appreciate you both.

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I use a PUROLATOR PL30001 Big it is , more filter surface , cleaner oil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.