Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a left fork seal leaking. It only has 30k miles and in a climate controlled garage. I accidently discovered something called Sealmate which is nothing more than a piece of thin plastic to clean the seal. I think back and years ago I had a bike with a fork leaking and out of the blue it quit! I asked a mechanic and he said they do that sometime. Maybe I'll get lucky and not have to buy seals. I guess that piece of grit or whatever worked its way out and stopped the leak.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Left for seal leaks are common. The anti-dive valve hydraulically locks the fork and can over pressure the seal. Many of us disable the ADV and replace the seal. Sealmates do help up and to when to seal is blown. After repairing my left seal I had a repeat leak after hitting brakes and hitting a pothole. They seal mate on certainly worth trying, it's stopped my seapage the second time. It's worth $7 to have it a try.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left for seal leaks are common. The anti-dive valve hydraulically locks the fork and can over pressure the seal. Many of us disable the ADV and replace the seal. Sealmates do help up and to when to seal is blown. After repairing my left seal I had a repeat leak after hitting brakes and hitting a pothole. They seal mate on certainly worth trying, it's stopped my seapage the second time. It's worth $7 to have it a try.

Thanks Tom I'll find out shortly:smile2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Make sure you run it down inside the actual seal and not just the visible dust cap on top. Some advise pulling the dust cap/cuff loose and sliding it up the the fork tube, I've had no luck without damaging it. I run the sealmate down deep and around twice, extract it, wipe it off and repeat.

·
Premium Member
3,615 Posts
You can save the cost of the seal mate. Make one yourself out of a piece of plastic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks y'all! I just made one from a plastic container and went around it 3 times. Now to ride and see if it helped.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Thanks y'all! I just made one from a plastic container and went around it 3 times. Now to ride and see if it helped.

My GL1500 forks were leaking like a sieve, so I made a sealmate clone out of a piece of x-ray film, lifted the dust cap, went around 3 times under the seal and filled the "well" on top of the seal with automatic transmission sealer (JB, IIRC), replaced the dust cap. Let it sit for a few hours to swell the seal and went for a ride. 12,000 miles later-still no leak! Sold it, and new owner has 6000 miles on it-still good. YMMV

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Seal Savers for Prevention

I've been using these for 10 years after I polished off a gravel ding with a whet stone. This virtually eliminates the chance of road hazard damage on my 1200i. Just a FYI. I've had good luck with 35mm negatives as well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
I have one and have used it several times... Depending on the issue, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... Definitely worth having one around for the few bucks it costs...

Les

1 - 12 of 12 Posts