Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my boss gave me one to try. supposed to work like the deltran battery tender jr, but has a setting to desulphate batteries while maintaining them.

can someone post a link to their website, please?

anyone know or used one of these to give an expert opinion? :bow:

thanks

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I think there was some posts on this a while back
Do a forum search.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Never tried that brand, but I do highly recommend the Battery Tender Jr. I have 6 bikes, and have one for each bike. I keep them hooked up all the time. Never had any issues with them over the past 7 years or so.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I have used a Battery Tender Jr for many years now on my bike and it's nice to know that your starting out at 100% charge when leaving for a ride... I can't really say if the Battery Tender is contributing to battery longevity but I haven't had any battery problems since I started using it...

Les

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I use a Yuasa battery tender (much the same as other maintainers) and it works like a charm. My battery is original to the bike (11 Yrs old) and never lets me down,however I think I am pushing my luck here and likely will change it out in the spring.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
my boss gave me one to try. supposed to work like the deltran battery tender jr, but has a setting to desulphate batteries while maintaining them.

can someone post a link to their website, please?

anyone know or used one of these to give an expert opinion? :bow:

thanks
I don't know about an expert opinion, but I'll give you my opinion. I have one, and I've been using it for years. Probably 6-8 years, but I really don't remember when I bought it. There is a pretty good battery place local to me (Bulldog Battery). One of those "if we don't have it, we can make it" type places. Good people there. I went in there looking for a Battery Tender. They convinced me that the Battery Minder was the way to go because of the desulfation option. I bought it and have been very pleased with it. The bike is always charged. I can't say if it has brought any batteries back because they are always charged. I never tried to renew a crapped out battery.

I just looked on the Bulldog site and I didn't see the Battery Minder listed, but I did find a Battery Tender...so take that for what it's worth. Their site kind of sucks, so it's possible that I missed it.

Here's a link to the charger unit with the description of what it is and why it works..

http://batteryminders.com/details.php?prod=2012

Merry Christmas everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I wouldn't store my bike for the season without a baffery tender of some sort. I have several for my bike. snow plow etc. Lucky to get 2 years on a battery without a tender. Now 5 or 6 years with.

I have to share another story. I had a battery for my boat that sat discharged for a long time. It was relatively new but when I called the battery shop they said a battery that sits dead will sulphate. (I knew that) They also said they had a new charger that they put on sulphated batteries that could bring them back to life. (I thought "right, like the miracle stuff you pour in them." That didn't do anything but lighten my wallet) They said bring it in and they would put it on the charger that removes sulphate. Didn't think it would do anything but nothing to lose as they were doing it free. It was stone dead. .3 volts with a digital voltmeter. Put it on the regular charger for an hour or two and still stone dead..3 volts. I brought it to have the fancy charger hooked up and got a call several days later to pick it up. Works like a champ.

The theory is something like the charger pulses at a special frequency that shakes the sulphate off the plates and it is reabsorbed in to the electrolyte. Made a believer out of me. Works great to this day. Hmmmm... how many saveable batteries have I thrown out over the years? YIKES!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.