Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1982 Goldwing 1100 Interstate
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After replacing a couple of speedometer cables and finally buying a used speedometer off of EBay, I decided to look at the interior of my sick speedometer after reading an interesting article I found on the web regarding fixing a motorcycle speedometer. See http://vjmc.org/techtips/speedo_repair.htmfor some interesting reading for people to like to tear things apart. My speedometer did the loud whining, jumping around like it was possessed etc. before giving up altogether. After following the steps in the article, I got to the guts and found that the gear that is linked from the cable coming into the unit is binding to the joining gear. It seemed some of the teeth on the gear are worn and rough, I would think from the cable trying to turn it causing the noise and jumping around. I just put a small phillips screwdriver into where the cable would turn it, and wound it counterclockwise, as would the cable. About every 10 to 20 turns, I can see and feel the gears lock. Backing off a bit or jiggling the gear would free it. And finally my question: Has anyone attempted to repair the inside of these things? Everything seems pretty clean (I cleaned everything up anyway). I think if I would could disassemble the gears, I might be able to maybe use a dremel to smooth out the gears where they wouldn't bind....or am I wasting a lot of time and energy? I'm still thinking of taking apart the one I got from EBay and cleaning itinside and out... having the lens clean from the inside really makes a difference!

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I've tried this in the past with other motorcycles. Filing the gears down sounds good, but any difference in the teeth (from sanding and filing) will make the speedo needle jump. It's trial and error. Better to leave the speedo into a repair shop and have them fix it.
BTW, where are you from? Fill in your profile so we know what country you are from. :waving:

·
Premium Member
1982 Goldwing 1100 Interstate
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I just updated my profile. I'm a newbie in this forum. Live in Palm Beach county FL. Just moved there this past January... also got my '82 Goldwing 1100 from my brother who didn't use it much, transported it from California to Florida, so I'm very much in the learning stages. I've got brakes to do, timing belts to change, carbs to balance, dirt to clean and people to meet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.