Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i want to apoligize to everyone here for havingclosed myebay and pay pal accounts.

as many know i had alot of parts for sale and some of you may have bid on them.

ebay charges you, pay pal charges you and now pay pal says they're going to hold everyones money for 21 days. that was the last straw for me. like most folks, i don't have alot of money, and they want to keep it for 21 days.

anyways, i'm truely sorry if anyone got caught up in this situation and especially copperless who won bid on woodgrain dash kit, and paid for it but wasn't available to me for 21 days.

again, i'm truely sorry. ride safe,

mark:waving:

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

What excuse are paypal offering for holding your money Mark? You logged in from a different computer, didn't shave today or they are picking on people from Porter Texas this month? Paypal are no better than bullies in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

PayPal was built on the back of EBay, till something else comes along to replace Ebay, PayPal will be the king of the roost. I' am waiting for them to tell me that I have reached my $10,000 limit, and they can't let me use PayPal anymore till I provide my banking information....... Kiss Off PayPal! You said I could use a CC, and I don't wish to give you my bank account info so you can transfer funds quickly and cheaply

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Well, you do have to play by the rules. 21 days is the maximum, but if you do what Paypal asks, it could be 3 or 7 days.

Here's an excerpt as to how long you wait to be paid.
=================================================

When will my eBay payment be available?

Generally, payments are immediately available when your buyer pays. However, in some cases, there may be a wait before payments become available.
This typically affects sellers who have a limited selling history or are Below Standard on eBay. In some cases, this may affect sellers who we’ve determined have a higher than average chance of experiencing transaction issues, including disputes, claims, or chargebacks.
If this applies to you, following good shipping practices will help you access your payments faster. For example:
  • If we can confirm delivery, your payment should be available 3 days after delivery.
  • If you don’t upload tracking, but mark the item as shipped in My eBay, your payment should be available 7 days after your latest estimated delivery date.
  • If you don’t provide any shipping information, your payment should be available 21 days after the transaction date, as long as your buyer doesn’t report a problem.
We can only confirm delivery if you upload an online tracking number on PayPal or eBay for certain carriers (USPS, UPS and FedEx for US domestic shipments). The easiest way to do this is to print shipping labels through eBay or PayPal.
If a dispute, claim, chargeback, reversal or other issue is received during the time your payment is unavailable, the payment will remain pending until the issue is resolved. If you, as the seller, are found responsible, funds from the transaction will be used to refund the buyer’s payment.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

i'm done with them. it hurts me but gonna hurt them more in the long run. they're just greedy. collecting from, ebay, pay pal, and now wants to collect interest on other peoples money.:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X:X

thats enough:waving:

it just hurts everyone.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I've not experienced that with them at all.
So far at least, every payment that I have received has been immediately available to me.
I must say that VERY few buyers are using my ebay listings and I have cut those back as well just to keep from being billed listing fees for items that didn't sell that month.
The vast majority of my sales are now done from my web store but even that uses the Paypal shopping cart.

It is nice not having to get double-dipped on an ebay sale. I can say that.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

JMO. eBay was kind of a neat thing in the beginning, but like a lot of other things, it got way to big, and things got out of hand. Same with PayPal.

I still have an eBay account, and have bought several things there, but I am noticing more and more bad experiences. And the way it is set up, you cannot leave negative feedback, because then the seller will just turn around and leave negative feedback for you.

I also have a PayPal account, but only use it for small amounts. I have used it at many online parts places not associated with eBay. I don't know how PayPal's fees compare to the credit cards, but must be about the same, since so many online businesses now accept PayPal.

I used to be a believer in cash, and I still am. And I have never used a check in my life. But for the past couple of years I have been using a debit card, which not only works at 99% of all stores, but can be used to order things online, and to pay bills online. I figure that since all businesses that accept these cards have already raised their prices to compensate for the fees, I might as well take advantage of the convenience.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
imported post

Never sold anything through eBay, therefore my only experience with PayPal is sending money to someone.

In that regard, no one has ever complained to me that it took too long to get paid. I pay ASAP upon winning the bid, usually within an hour or two.

Also, if the seller has less than a few hundred sales, and has less than 99.6% I pass and go on to the next opportunity.

This means, I pass up on some really good deals (or least they look good).

I have read their rules, and the ones posted by Silicon Sam. The rules are rigid, but I remember how it was before they tightened up on the rules. Wasn't good.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

they have no reason to hold peoples money for 21 days other than greed.

with that said, i'm done.

everyone ride safe. and take care.

mark:waving:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,187 Posts
imported post

Mark, I don't blame you on that one. 21 days seems to me to be a bit extreme.

I know how it was waiting 10 business days for a big check to clear and I was seriously needing the money at the time.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

Ebay's fees have reached the point of me closing the client end of my business. In the past, most of what I sold on ebay was other people's property, for which I took a commission of from 10 to 25%. Lately, the selling and listing fees are up to almost 10%. Add to that Paypal fees and inaccurate shipping calculators and it just isn't worth it. Now I only sell items that I own.
Paypal is still the only way to do money. I recently read that nearly 80% of all Money Orders circulating are fakes. Many banks have stopped issuing certified checks for the same reason. Even the Post Office is having problems telling real from fakes.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

I have never bought or sold anything on ebay and I don't have a paypal account. I guess I am not missing much.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I quit selling on ebay about two years ago. I did a massive sale of an entire room full of BMW and VW parts. Gross sales total = $1400.Net total to me after covering ebay fees, paypal fees, shipping difference because of a crappy calculator, and the ebay comission = $450. Their shipping calculator KILLED me on that one, every **** package was at least double what ebay calculated and charged the buyer, and when the packages are that big, and there's that many, that gets expensive quick. I contacted ebay about it and they told me it happens and I should contact the buyers and ask if they would pay the difference... Sorry, that's not how I do business.

That being said, I thought I'd give it another shot selling my aspencade last month. Bike sold for $1300, after ebay fees and paypal fees, I got just under $1000, and yes sir, they then sent me an email saying my paypal money would not be available for 21 days as some kind of new paypal procedural crap. I'm with ya zimmerleemark, ebay has the buyer's back while they get it on with the seller's back sides :lash::lash::lash:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

PayPal is a hassle simply put. And not everyone is comfortable with its ease of use either. We're not the only ones that find it a hassle.

Without going through the process and additional expense of another third party to accept debit/credit cards directly on my site, I and others are kinda stuck with it.

Their fees are high and it takes three days forPayPal money to reach my checking account. That's three business days.

I'm a bit frustrated with 'em as well, as you can tell ...but that's internet transacting I suppose. I could always secure my site and take payment directly on it with a cart and checkout.All it takes is Mo' Money.

Don't know 'bout the rest of ya'll, but I'll be adjusting my $$$ to account for their fees I've been eating.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Don't know 'bout the rest of ya'll, but I'll be adjusting my $$$ to account for their fees I've been eating.
Yep, expenses go up, prices go up. It's the way it is in business. I don't like the fees either, but I also realize that there is little other choice if you want to put your stuff in front of a large audience and collect from people wanting to use credit cards. Ebay puts your stuff in front of 1000's of eyes, and unless you have a way of driving that traffic to your own website, you're not going to find a better way to do that at any price. PayPal allows you to take payments semi-safely from people all over the world, including credit cards. Have you ever checked on the costs of taking credit cards directly?Some of youmay feel their fees are too high but they are offering something that nobody else is doing as effectively. It is capitalism at work. I'm thankful I'm in a country that allows capitalism personally. :waving:

John

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I use ebay and paypal. I have used them since 2002 and I remember when ebay bought paypal. It has gotten easier to use since then.

I buy and sell on ebay. I think it is a great service. A little expensive, but it works.

My money has always been there the same day the buyer posts it.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
I use ebay and paypal. I have used them since 2002 and I remember when ebay bought paypal. It has gotten easier to use since then.

I buy and sell on ebay. I think it is a great service. A little expensive, but it works.

My money has always been there the same day the buyer posts it.

Pretty much my experience, works well,PayPal isthe only way I'll deal on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I have been with paypal and ebay for over 7 years now and in that time I have had several run ins with paypal about holding on to my money in their account for too long ,They are making a lot of money by doing this , if you consider how much money is passed through payapl each day ,millions and millions of dollars from all over the world and if they can delay t by a day or a week they gain a lot of dollars in interest , having said that the advantages far outweight he disavantages .Your money is safely delivered and you need not worry about nigerians trying to scam you .The fees with paypal are less than you would pay on a credit card transation ..

So sometimes paypal is a pain in the rear end , but for most times it works .and that is why I am still with them .. Ciaran

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
Yep, expenses go up, prices go up. It's the way it is in business. I don't like the fees either, but I also realize that there is little other choice if you want to put your stuff in front of a large audience and collect from people wanting to use credit cards. Ebay puts your stuff in front of 1000's of eyes, and unless you have a way of driving that traffic to your own website, you're not going to find a better way to do that at any price. PayPal allows you to take payments semi-safely from people all over the world, including credit cards. Have you ever checked on the costs of taking credit cards directly?Some of youmay feel their fees are too high but they are offering something that nobody else is doing as effectively. It is capitalism at work. I'm thankful I'm in a country that allows capitalism personally. :waving:

John
I realize it. It would be cheaper in the long run to take payment directly at my site. It's the up-front costs to get it going that are slow to build.

The "hassle", for me, eminates from their high fees and confusion that some have in actually transacting there. For as long as PayPal has been around, some have never used it and find it confusing when they do.

If I add-in eBay, then there are more fees. I don't sell on eBay.

I do know how lucky I am though. You are right. I should be so lucky to complain.

:)

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I consider my ebay listings to be advertising on a global basis at a damn cheap cost. If an item sells through ebay, so be it. Just the cost of doing business to me.

The fees are way cheaper than using distribution channels and having to mark down item prices to wholesale for that. But even that is helping to get me known out there and it does increase my manufacturing volume somewhat.

I use the free Paypal shopping cart with my site. It has a few drawbacks but it is way better than the next paid solution that I have been able to find and it ties nicely to the PP system, including shipments and notifications.

Of course, I'm selling recurring items and trying to build something but I would still use Paypal for purchases whenever possible, just to keep my CC information from being stored in hundreds of unknown databases around the world. Paypal is worth it just for that feature for buyers but there are a few setup precautions needed there as well.

Paypal is worth the fee cost for me. As far as the delays in payment... I don't transfer money from the PP account to my bank very often and that has always been a 3 day deal as stated up front. Instead, I use the PP debit card from PP, tied to my account and draw it out directly out of my PP account from there or make new purchases from vendors who take Paypal. No delays at all for me. But it does help to read the rules in advance and engineer how to set up to be in the track with the least hassles.

As for calculated shipping fees? I have never used them. Everything I sell is either pre-determined flat rate shipping or free. It's not that hard to figure out in advance what something is going to cost you to ship.

I use the PP multi-shipping tool and ebay shipping attached to PP to ship from. It is zero hassle. The sales listings are updated on both ebay and PP and the tracking number is automatically sent to the buyer as well as added to the ebay sale transaction. Plus it is as cheap as the post office shipping.

I don't see a problem here. I'm happy and my customers are happy.

But maybe I will land in some sticky pit sometime. And even if they did start holding my sales proceeds for a few days... nice thing is, I'll need just as bad it whenever it becomes available.
My bank does that same thing whenever I get a check from another state.
I don't stop using my bank because of it.

Nice thing about free enterprise is that you change it yourself by doing exactly what happened here. Talk with your feet. Don't like it? Walk away. Free enterprise at work. It's better than the alternatives the future likely holds for us.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.