Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi...I have the following problem...got hit with a blast of wind...speedometer shut off, FI indicator came on, lean sensor stopped working...seems like an electrical connection...one or more fuel injectors stopped working...idles low or dies at stop...turning key off and back on will reset the FI light and start the injectors working, but only for a few minutes...the speedometer stays off and the lean sensor doesn't start working...no other indications of problems...pulled the front end down and checked connections to the instrument cluster, and checked left side connections under the left console box...didn't see a problem...haven't been able to consult a wiring diagram yet...

...didn't see a fuse specific to any of this other than the FI fuse...figure none of them would work if it was this...

...any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

My brain is not working, what are you calling the lean sensor? Kit

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The sensor that can tell when the bike has leaned into a turn...it turns the turn signals back off when the turn is completed...maybe I didn't use the right term...

I have the bike broke down right now...I can't find anything disconnected or any obvious wire damage...I downloaded a manual and went over the wiring diagrams, but this isn't helping much...

...I have the top shelter off...I checked for codes, but according to the manual, there isn't anything stored in there...

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Well going to fly this one by ear, do not have a 2001 manual, but I believe the Bank Angle sensor(has nothing to do with signals) is under the shelter on the right hand side up high up front. A gust of wind, or tip over or something similar can trigger them to not work properly and if one is not working it can cause what you have, I am surprised it starts.

Wire code colors have not changed, I do not think.......anyways you will find three wires coming out of the sensor ,One is green, check it from the pin connector to ground, this is a continuity check. OK? Go to the red/white wire and with the ignition on check for voltage, from the connector to ground. Ok? Go to middle wire, white, and do the same thing. Ok? Then you have to have a special adapter to check the device when you turn it past 45 degrees or you can rig up a test light from the red white wire and ground with the ignition on and as you turn the sensor side to side it will indicate if it is working.

Trace all your ground wires, one of the main grounds could have come loose and be causeing the whole situation. Could be just coincidence that it happened during a hard wind gust.

Check the fuses 4,9,23

If not that simple you will need a manual and start with the speedo, work backwards and figure out what is not allowing it to work, such as maybe a loose pin connector in the igniton circuit. that will most likely solve the lose of power to the injectors also as they are tied to the igntion circuit also.

Check the pin connector at the ECU, could very well be that as well, if that is not making contact bike will not start or act up like this also.

Just some ideas for you, something like this can take a while and be a real head scractcher, hard to do on the internet too. Hope this helps a bit.

Kit

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Bmartin wrote:
Hi...I have the following problem...got hit with a blast of wind...speedometer shut off, FI indicator came on, lean sensor stopped working...seems like an electrical connection...one or more fuel injectors stopped working...idles low or dies at stop...turning key off and back on will reset the FI light and start the injectors working, but only for a few minutes...the speedometer stays off and the lean sensor doesn't start working...no other indications of problems...pulled the front end down and checked connections to the instrument cluster, and checked left side connections under the left console box...didn't see a problem...haven't been able to consult a wiring diagram yet...

...didn't see a fuse specific to any of this other than the FI fuse...figure none of them would work if it was this...

...any ideas?
Do you have a manual or the CD for this model.

Is the main "kill" switch okay - switch it back and forth a few times.

The "lean" sensor which I think you mean the turn signal sensor has nothing to do with the power supply to the other components.

Now fuel injectors stopped working is also another possible "furphy". How did you determine this?

Did the bike get dropped??
:baffled:

What was the reason to pull the front end down?.

I would start at the battery and check the connections. Next, I would look at the earth connections. Followed by a check of all fuses and connectors around the fuse box area. Next check the relevant relays work properly.

:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I noticed a little something...when I ride it for a little while the FI light comes on...instead of turning the bike off, I just put it on its stand in neutral and it showed a long flash and a short one...I take this to mean code 11...when I looked that up, it says the vehicle speed sensor (or circuit)...I found there is a turn signal cancel unit...and this would make sense as the signals don't turn off after turning (they used to)...

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Bmartin wrote:
I noticed a little something...when I ride it for a little while the FI light comes on...instead of turning the bike off, I just put it on its stand in neutral and it showed a long flash and a short one...I take this to mean code 11...when I looked that up, it says the vehicle speed sensor (or circuit)...I found there is a turn signal cancel unit...and this would make sense as the signals don't turn off after turning (they used to)...
The speedo does control the turn signals. There is also a wire from the speedo that runs to the cancel unit and the signals are controled both throught it(also the emergeny flashers) and by distance by the speedo . You are correct in the evaluation that you have a problem in the speed circuit. This is a correct code and does show up when you let the sidestand down . However as the signal passes though the speedo to the cancel unit, I would assume the problem is from the speedo inclusive or past it.
There is also a main ground connection on the right side of the engine that can have a great bearing on the operation on this and the ignition circuit. It is under a little rubber cover.

The turn signal cancel unit is in the steering head and green in color it is a green pin connector and it may be as simple as that. You may not have proper connection through that pin connector.

Does the bike seem to run fine now? Fire well and run well, is the fuel/ignition circuit still giving a problem?

Kit

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Well, by reading through the manual, I noticed that one diagnostic was to run the engine over 2100 RPM...yesterday, I had the FI light lit on the way in to work (over 2100 RPM)...during the day I ran it around town and kept it under 2100 RPM...after a bit, I noticed the speedo start working! So did the turn cancel...worked fine for the rest of the day, even over 2100 RPM (on the way home)...this morning it died again...same problem back...clearly it is not a failed component, but an intermittant problem...if I keep it under 2100 RPM the FI light never lights and except for the speedo and turn cancel, everything works fine...however, if I DO exceed 2100 RPM for 20 seconds or more, the FI lights (I feel a slight hesitation when it does this) and it stays on...it also will idle real slow and sometimes die...I get the feeling that the vehicle speed circuit has something to do with idle speed as well and that the FI is not involved (didn't realize the FI was also a "problem indicator" and might not have anything to do with fuel injection until I got the manual)...

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

I have no idea what I am talking about but just throwing this out there. The lean sensor, is it possible it got hit with the fairing or something when you got hit with the wind and its bracket got bent so it is out of position? Again, have no clue what I am talking about or where the lean sensor is, just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

I have had a look at the manual like yourself. The first thing to check is the Vehicle speed sensor, this reads the splines on the drive shaft, if these are chipped, it may not work. Its up to you to either remove the VSS or carry out the following procedure. As the Speedo is not working, then it may well be the VSS or its associated wiring.

you will have to remove the top shelter again,

locate the 3 pin connector that feeds the VSS and disconnect it,all measurements will be done on the wiring harness side of the bike and not the VSS plug

PutignitionONmeasure with a volt meter at the connector between brown/white terminal and a goodground, should get 12+ volts showing. this verifies the +ve supply

next take a reading accross the brown/white wire and the green wire, you should again see 12+ volts, this has verified the ground connection.

Switch ignition off now.

The final3rd wire coloured white/blackgoes to the ECM, this now needs to be checked. find the grey 22pin connector and disconnect it. put your meter on continuity and check the white/black wire at the 3 pin connector to ground, you should not get a reading. If you do get a reading the wire has short out somewhere to ground

Now locate on the 22pin connector at the ecm the white/black wire and check the wire from tere and the 3 pin connector at the VSS end, you should get a reading. if you dont get a reading the wire is broken.

reconnect the VSS plug and the gray 22 ECM plug.

The last bit is to check the voltage patternon the white/black wire with a volt meter. You need to connect the voltmeter between the white/black wire and ground. put the ignition on and bike in nuetral, slowly turn the back wheel of the bike you should geta reading of 5V and0V pulsing as the wheel turn. If not faulty VSS.

If this checks out thenthe VSS is okay, it then tends to point to theECM, not sure if this is correct but i was told if the battery has been off the bike, you need to start the bike and let it just tick over and allow the fan to kick in a couple of times, this apparently sets up the bikes tick over etc, it may be well worth trying to take off the battery and try this.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I sure appreciate all the help! I'll do all this as soon as I can get the time (church and work are keeping me busy)...this may sound like a stupid question, but the pictures in the manual I have (a PDF version I downloaded) don't make it very clear which side of the bike the 3P connector is...I know it's under the top shelter...I'm still thinking the problem is a loose connection since it did start working for a little while (and it's done that twice)...I haven't ever disconnected the battery...BTW, the bike I have is a 2001 GL1800...except for the addition of the driver backrest I have, it looks almost identical to the deep red model at the top of this page...strangly, the trunk lenses and housings are quite melted (chrome housing with red lenses)...looks like the bulb connectors were not properly seated and leaned against the plastic or something...it was this way before I got the bike...any idea where the best spot to pick up replacements might be? I'm not a rich man and I'm sure Honda wants a pretty penny for those (if they have them)...apparently there was a recall on this model on the speedo in regard to when the sun hits it direct, the film with the numbers on it distorts and locks the speedo needle in place...I'm not the original owner and they wouldn't honor the recall...I asked them how much to replace it...$900 US...I just put some two-sided tape under the film and am hoping this will work (I think it will)...

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

The VSS is located behind the right front exhaust pipe, behind the front exhaust chromeprotector.

The 3 pin connector is near the right air vent, you should be able to trace the wire back from the VSS.

I think you are on thr giht track a sit does appear to be part of the VSS or wires set up.

It sounds like your rear chrome housings are an after market add on, there is a problem with these units as when the brake light is on for a while it generates so much heat it was melting the plastics, a few swapped the bulbs for led type bulbs. Chances are some one might have the original stock fittings after they replaced them with chrome ones.

if you need any photos from the clymer book i can send them to you if you tell me which ones.

regards Derek

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.