Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, it's coming up on Valentines Day and I knew I needed to get something right here. Finally I knew what I wanted to gt her, and that was the problem. Wendy's love is knitting, and she's damn good at it. While I have no interest in it, the skill and intricacies do earn my respect. Well, I remembered her commenting that there was a set of special needles and attachments that she couldn't justify buying. That was it, I wanted to get these for her, but there also was the problem. Telling me to get a "set of knitting neeles" is like telling someone with no mechanical knowledge to go to the store and get a wrench. The variety out there is overwhelming. So I sit down with her and tell her what I want to get her, she will have to show me and I will just pay for them, so much for romantic surprise. But, I digress.

She starts out going online and shows me what she wants and we work out the ordering. Then as she looks at other related items, my mind goes numbgoes, my attention lapses and I lookback to the tv. Then I look over and see something strange, she has brought up a map. Before I can inquire she shows me the screen and begins talking about a bike trip to New Hampshire. She wants to show me a great place to go for a Lobster dinner, all the places that would be great to see from the bike taking a long roundabout route and a couple of knitting places she would to stop off at. In no time at all she laid a route along lakes, rivers and through mountains, places to spend the night, everything. A fantastic four day trip. we even went out to the bike to discuss the the need for running boards for her and new highway pegs for me. She even agreed to look for those pouches on the back of the trunk like the aspencades have.

It's at times like this I realize why I love this woman, only she could transform my buying a set of knitting needles to a four day run with attention to the ride. The best rides I have been on with her are the ones where she planned the trip and route and I just drove. She knows I don't care where we go, as long as we go together.

Of course, she did point out that we will need to take the trailer for the yarn and extra's she will want to pick up.:doh:

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Once, Red and I made plans to go up to Alaska..... had made them for six months. The bike was packed and ready, maps in the map pocket, everything in it's place.... all we had to do was get on and go......

But for several days, I had been plagued by an uneasy feeling, a great dread of something unknown. I tried to argue myself out of it, but it was no use. We had gone before and loved it; we fully expected to love it again; but.... I just couldn't shake that damn feeling. Vietnam Vets -- you probably know what I'm talking about!

Anyway, we're set to go and my wife, Red, locks the door and comes walking over to the bike.

"Honey," I said. "You're gonna kill me! But for some reason I just don't want to go up to Alaska this time..... let's go to Arkansas, instead!"

She stopped in mid-stride, and blinked at me. Once. And, then she said, "well, okay... give me a minute to go call my mother!"

That's why I love this woman! She is game! Game to the core! Nothing bothers her, nothing.... as long as we're together, she seems happy, and so am I. We went to Arkansas, rode highway 7, went to Branson, Hot Springs, and Eureka Springs, and had a wonderful time.

We went to Alaska the following year and had a wonderful time .... I didn't have that "dread" feeling that time....... don't have it too often, but when I do, I pay attention.... Damn, I love this girl!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
imported post

Today is my birthday, and my redhead said, "look if you really want than bike go get it". And I don't even work anymore. How about a young lady like that! I told her that I would have to think about it. LOL

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

Where can I get some of those knittin Needles......:D...worth a try...

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

You guy's have wonderful women, and so do I. She is the most wonderful woman I have ever met. She is the same everyday, never moody. I don't want to think about life without her.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

sounds like we are all lucky, i wouldnt trade mine for anything . V.D. is goin to be tough she never wants anythingnever hints nothin ill have to trick her into spillin the beans:D

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Yup, my lady is the best ever. We have a loose agreement not to go crazy with spending for each other on holidays such as Christmas and Valentines. But I'm at dilemma phase now because I'd really have to overspend to buy more pearls and the Godiva chocolates can only be repeated so many times. Worst part is time is running out. What to do - what to do.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

Yep - a "good woman" can make life a much better journey. It is even better when they know us and how to work their ways into the plan so stealthily that they think you don't notice - LOL And sometimes they "learn" from us that our "guidance" was for a reason - LOL

My bride of 2 years came to motorcycling through meeting me. She was already an "outdoors gal". She's ridden pillion on all 4 of my bikes - thousands of miles. One of my most memorable - and when I knew I had a "keeper" was early on when I couldn't talk her out of riding with a 50 pound backpack on the back of of my Suzuki Bandit for a 1,000 mile weekend that took in some of the best/twistiest mountain passes California has to offer (Ebbets Pass andSonora Pass with a Lake Tahoe tour in between). Here is my babe searching for her camera on Ebbets Pass:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

And wearing it on Sonora Pass - LOL...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Very nice B.D. But I can't help but notice you're a little thin on the tread there. ;)

Definitely got yourself a keeper there for sure!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

She looks really sweet, BD.... but MD is right -- for yourself and her......

Get......!

New......!

Rubber!!!!!

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

don't mean to sound like a pompous P.I.A., Blackdog, I once ran several hundred hard and fast miles with a bald rear (tire, dammit, tire!), and ended up with the cord showing.... still shake like jello today when thinking of it............!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yep, I agree. With all that has been said. Life would not be the joy it is without Miss Sandy.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

MDKramer wrote:
Very nice B.D. But I can't help but notice you're a little thin on the tread there. ;)

Definitely got yourself a keeper there for sure!
Cousin Jack wrote:
She looks really sweet, BD.... but MD is right -- for yourself and her......

Get......!

New......!

Rubber!!!!!

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

don't mean to sound like a pompous P.I.A., Blackdog, I once ran several hundred hard and fast miles with a bald rear (tire, dammit, tire!), and ended up with the cord showing.... still shake like jello today when thinking of it............!

LOL - Good EYE and Thanks Guys - actually - pretty funny story there (well, not really funny - but a story nonetheless - LOL)...

That tire in that picture was a brand new 180 rear tire just prior to that trip - yes - BRAND NEW - had it mounted the weekend before we left on a Wednesday. I got 150 miles from home and had to stop - that 50lb pack my beloved was wearing was loaded top heavy - learned a lot about the "riding impact" of topheavy loads that day! Pulled over and re-packed it for her (that's why she had to find her camera later - LOL) - checked tires, some wear - but OK. That shot you see is 400 miles into the trip. Wife and I are "big folk" on that small Suzuki Bandit 1200s. The picture does not really do it justice - it was not quite as bad as the digital shot makes it look - but it was noticeable and caught my attention the rest of the trip. When it got bad was on the way home on Sonora pass - chock full of steep pitches and 10mph hairpins. I kept checking the tires because of exactly what you see - I was watching it happen - live. There is not really much you can do in the middle of the Sierras but ride as safely as you can onward. When I got home we had finally reach cord. New tires-again. That was the fastest burn of tires I've ever done - 1,000 miles. So - yes - you are seeing part of the the phenomenon on film - but you are only half way through!!! :shock: You should have seen how "gingerly" I rode the last 150 home :action:try riding twisty canyons - 2 up on a sport standard - without leaning :cool:

Ah, the challenges of riders - we learn as we go along. That was about 4 years ago.To this day I am a bit paranoid on my tire wear and pressures.

Great trip - including Mama and 2cubs crossing the road at Tahoe:

Attachments

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

I think it's one of everyone's biggest chances to take is with tires, I know I am the worst, I will ride one all the way down!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
imported post

Great thread, Richardrwg! Please allow me to express why my Wifeis in the same category -

We were married in '85 - had been seeing each other for 2 years prior. 1985 was also the year I bought my '75 Wing. I worked on the bike and got it the way we wanted it and we had wonderful rides. 1988 came along and so did our son. With her working one shift and me another, the bike sat since the baby needed to ride in a cage to the babysitters. The bike sat some more....and more... and, well, we all know what happens to carbs that aren't run after a couple of months that turns into years.

Fast forward to 2007 - she and Ihad gone through a separation/divorce and we finally decided after 8 years to remarry (2003). She wondered where the bike was and hounded me until I retrieved the Wing. Finally on 8/31/07, I got the bike back from a guy that was supposedly going to rebuild the carbs - and never did. Bike was a mess. But my wife was adamant that we get it back in shape because she wanted to do the things that she knew we both enjoyed.

The bike is now in my garage, pretty much in the final stages before going back on the road. It's made a trip to Pistol Pete's for, what else? Carb work and a whole lot more. I'm just doing the cosmetics now - needs new paint, cleaned up and other TLC.

Live without that woman again? No way! She's my Best Friend as well as my Wife. I wouldn't want it any other way - and I don't think she would either.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

You guys and the "good woman stories" are gonna make me cry!! :crying:

After 14 years with a .....ahem........ um........Ok I wont say it. But a very Not so good woman,. I divorced, and after 5 years I found my best friend and a wonderful woman! She had a 75 CB360 years ago and sold it when she became a mother. Well when we were dating we talked motorcycles and she said when her daughter was grown, she would buy one again. She knew how much I liked motorcycling andas I was strapped with my house payment and supporting my two kids,( i got custody)she lent me the money for an 82 750 Custom.About a monthafter that she found an extremely nice Suzuki vs800 that she fell in love with, so she bought it. I paid her back for the Honda and one day I was telling her how much I liked her Suzuki. I sold the Honda and went looking for a Suzuki VS1400. Lo and behold, when I found one I liked, she actually bought it for me! They were the same color, "his n hers. We would go on some short rides, and some day rides (150-200 miles max, because she has some fusing disks in her lower back). I now want to get her on a wing thinking she would be more comfortable for distance, but shesays she has no interest in a wing.... One of these daysI hope I can change her mind and we can go onlong rides together. Until then i will do my rides solo or with somefriends. But its nice to know my best friend is with me in my heart whereverI go, as I am in hers. I never knew marraige could be so good. She is an all around wonderful Wife, Mother, and best Friend !!!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

OK OK, great compliments to your spouses. I have only been married for 41 years, and love every minute of it. We even went to high school together, although we were not smart enough to connect then, or maybe we were. She knows my thoughts before I come out with them. We raised three kids and a grandchild. I have 4 grandchildren and one great grandson. What more can I say except I love her. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

Well, I went through two bad marriages to find the gal for me. I knew this one was for me when she told me if I wanted the bike to go get it. Nothing like a good woman that wants to spend time with ya is it guys??????

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

My wife an I have been married for 16 years. We met in first grade. Although I moved around quite a bit she lived in the same house. We went to the same schools but were on opposite ends of a social circle.I was the "bad boy" and she was "Daddy's Princess". We started dating in high school and our daughter was born when we were 17 (adjusting halo here). We dated for 3 years and I asked her several times to marry. We were married when we were 20. Our second daughter was born that year (innocent whistle). She never showed much interest in riding with me. I sold my motorcycles and bought a boat. When our son was born when we were 23 she bought a Yamaha Virago from my brother for me out of the blue. When my brother went through his divorce 3 years later I gave it back to him to help pay for it (never paid me back of course). I did not ride for 10 years but missed it all the time. We rode four wheelers and dirt bikes but not on the street. Dad died, and after settling his estate I had inherited another boat and traded for the goldwing. One ride on it and my wife was asking when the next trip was.... she now is beginning to plan trips and we have never been closer. We have a great relationship when we hear people talk of the problems that they have and how they can't get along with each other, we both wonder why we never had these problems............ guess some people just seem to fit together.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

(my apologies to the forum; this has been on before, but -- in the spirit of Valentine's day and in the spirit of this excellent thread, I beg your forgiveness because I'm gonna put it up again!)

Pillion

She hopped on the back of my 1978 Suzuki 750 GS nearly twenty years ago, and has been back there ever since. She’s gone through five bikes, 41 states, two continents and one life-threatening collision with a deer. She’s camped in the rain, the snow, and the dust, and has eaten everything from cold spaghetti to fresh baked salmon without a whimper or a whine.

Once, coming out of the campground at Devil’s Tower, Wyoming, I broke a clutch cable on my 1981 Goldwing at 0630 on a Saturday morning. I had no spare on the bike, and, as I looked all around us at the wonderful, empty, glorious splendor, I knew only one thing: we were at least 1800 miles from a replacement cable in any direction we cared to look. After several unsuccessful tries at shifting the bike without a clutch, I sat dejectedly on the side of the road.

"Do you think we could do something with the old cable," she asked quietly.

"No, " I shouted, and then, after a moment, I took another look.

Forming a loop with the broken cable and threading it through a sparkplug tool for a handle, we had a workable solution.

"When I yell, ‘In, ‘ see if you can pull this thing up from the back."

"Okay," she yelled.... and did.

I then shifted into first, and yelled, "out!"

And our big old bike moved on down the road........

And that’s the way we went home.... 1800 miles..... over Wyoming’s Beartooth Pass, and Idaho’s Lolo Pass.... through some of the most spectacular mountain scenery in the world, with our jury-rigged clutch assembly held tightly in her aching hand. Not a whimper, not a whine. It was she who solved the problem, it was she who got us home.

Years later and a world away, we sat in the rental shop at Thune, Switzerland, counting our rapidly diminishing money supply.

"Not enough for a Beemer," she said. "Could rent a Honda Silverwing, though......"

"No," I said. "Can’t do the Alps on a stupid scooter!" And then I took another look.

Eight wonderful days.... Susten, Firka, Grimsel, Oberalp, and StGoddard's passes... living in a campervan in Interlaken, touring high on the Silverwing and sleeping low.... a trip of a lifetime. Again, she solved the problem; she got us the Alps.

Occasionally, I’ll catch a glance of her in my rearview mirrors, lovely hair and soft smile hidden by plastic and fiberglass, and I ask the gods: What did I ever do to deserve her, my life’s partner, my wonderful pillion! She puts the sun in the sky .... and I’ll love her forever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.