Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just changed the front pads on my 1100 yesterday and after a short ride, I felt they weren't grabbing too good. So last night I tied the lever to the grip in case it needed to bleed itself.It worked but now something else is happening. It seems after I take off and go about 100ft the brakes start squeaking, kinda like when your cars pads get to the wear indicator. When I apply the brakes, the noise stops and the brakes work fine. Any Ideas what to do to stop the squeak? It annoying as heck.,,,

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

no, try bleeding them. is the small spring plate in place? the pads may be too lose that vibrate and make that noise.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yea, the spring plate is there and they didn't seem loose when I put them in.I may have to actually bleed them. Seemed like a simple job when I started.,,,,

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I don't mean to be an alarmist but when I had the same thing happening with the rear brake on my 1100 the caliper was sticking and I ended up with a warped rotor.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

by the way.. now that i remember. on my friends 1500 it would keep making funny noises like a vibrating pad.. caused by a worn rotor. once we changed them to a brand new set, the noise went away with the same set of pads and without bleeding

·
Ole Guy
171 Posts
imported post

An other idea, if one of the front calipers works with the rear brake, you might want to check the rear brake pedal arm is fully retracting. If it is not, one or both sets of pads may be riding the rotor. Inspect by removing your rear brake pedal arm to clean old dried grease that would make it tight. Grease turns into something sticky and hard after many years. I found this problem years ago on a second hand 1978 Kawaski 1000 after it was 11 or 12 years old. Cleaning the old grease fixed the sticky rear brake.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It would be a good idea to check your wheels for brake drag, if the brakes drag they will heat up and can lock up a wheel. When you changed the pads did you notice if one in a caliper was much thinner than the other? If that's the case it indicates a frozen caliper. If the caliper can't shift from side to side on its mounts the brakes will drag. The only cure for that is to take the sleeve out of the caliper where the smaller mounting bolt passes through. The sleeve must be free to slide back and forth in the caliper. If it doesn't remove it, clean the sleeve and the caliper bore, re-grease and reinstall.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

What I think I'm gonna do is,bleed the brakes test ride it and if they still squeak, take them apart and make sure nothing fell apart in there. Might as well check for a warped rotor while I'm at it.they'e are not linked to the rear, so the fun part is finding which side is making the squeak.Thanks for everyones input.,,

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

NOISE UPDATE: well today I rolled the bike out ,jacked it up and spun the wheel. From what I could deduce the squeal was comming from the left side caliber as seen from sitting on the bike. I removed to see what could be the culprit and noticed theres a metal clip/spacer? that fits on the lower leg, and the caliber lays against it when mounted. It appears when I had it apart I must have knocked it out of position causing it to rub against the rotor.put it all back together , test rode all seems good to go.,Note my clymer manual doesn't show the piece that was rubbing, maybe the Honda manual does.,,

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
imported post

It's also not a bad idea when you have the brakes apart and reassemble them to use brake grease on the back of the padsand on the bolts where the calipers slide, this has stopped some squeakingissues for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.