Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am particularly thinking about my '82 Aspy front brake, on fleabay they make a big deal about left or right side, but on the rotors themselves there is no indication, the only reason I can see is that the cooling vanes have to be forward curved.
But that begs the question, what about the 5mm, non vented rotors, why would they have to be? It would be useful to be able to swap them around if you've got the '83 with split braking. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
EBC list a left and right rotor with different part numbers:

MD1083LS
MD1083RS

I guess they must do that for a good reason.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
IF they are similar to the 85 model, the difference as you noted is the curvature of the cooling vane.

If your model has 10mm vented rotors the 5mm wont fit without changes to the anti-dive (remember I am talking the 84+ models).

The 5mm rotors are not subjected to as much heat the Interstate models being somewhat lighter.

The solid EBC 10mm rotors get their cooling through the holes that are drilled into the rotor mounting plate.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The direction of the spokes determines the side differences.

·
Administrator
27,930 Posts
I doubt anyone including the rider would ever notice the difference if they were switched side to side.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I doubt anyone including the rider would ever notice the difference if they were switched side to side.
Probably not while riding however it would be noticed that the pads being subject to the extra heat might not last as long.

They didn't make them like that for fun.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Probably not while riding however it would be noticed that the pads being subject to the extra heat might not last as long.

They didn't make them like that for fun.
It was likely done for aesthetics as I can't see it having much if any affect on cooling.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I agree it was almost certainly done for looks, like some cars have directional wheels. Many late model Corvettes have directional wheels, and the rear wheels are bigger, requiring 4 different wheels. But in the case of the brake rotors, at least on an '85, they are indeed interchangeable. And being out in the open, I don't see a problem with cooling.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
I've seen two 1100 Wings with front discs on the "wrong" sides, both times because that's all the owners could get hold of. Neither owner reported any issues or reduced brake pad life.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
The slots carved into the rotors are there to move gas, heat and water away from the flat surface which will improve efficiency...

like I say they don't put them there for fun.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I agree it was almost certainly done for looks, like some cars have directional wheels. Many late model Corvettes have directional wheels, and the rear wheels are bigger, requiring 4 different wheels. But in the case of the brake rotors, at least on an '85, they are indeed interchangeable. And being out in the open, I don't see a problem with cooling.
Try normal driving, do an emergency stop, then put your hands on the rotor.... you will see why they put slots in them.

How many times have we seen questions on the forum " my brakes are vibrating...... its the heat that has buckled the rotors, possibly because they are driving them past the limit and they can no longer dissipate the heat. The same people would rather buy bling than new rotors

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I've worked in the automotive field for thirty years. Manufacturers are notorious for removing material from brake rotors to make them look good?
Rotors are vented for a reason. Rotors are slotted for a reason. Rotors are drilled for a reason.
If you drive like an old man (as I do), you'll probably never get your rotors hot enough to appreciate the engineering.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
I am currently considering replacing the front rotors on my 83 Aspy. The only non OEM I have found are EBC MD1133. They fit both the left and right side. The only thing they fit are the 82 and 83 Aspy. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Its odd that the 80-83 Interstates have LS/RS and the 82-83 Aspy don't

I see that in the 2010 EBC Catalog

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Its odd that the 80-83 Interstates have LS/RS and the 82-83 Aspy don't

I see that in the 2010 EBC Catalog
The stock rotors on 82-83 Aspencades are handed.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
If it were a hard ridden sport bike, I would be concerned. But I don't ride a Goldwing that way. People put CAR tires on Goldwings, and they seem to work just fine. I don't think a sport bike rider would be doing that either. My '85 has what I believe to be the original rotors, when I got it the pads were badly worn but the rotors were fine. The odometer showed 93,000 miles (it quit working less than 1000 miles later, and I replaced it with a cheap GPS) I replaced the pads with EBC ORGANIC pads, and the brakes worked fine. I put a little over 7,000 miles on it before something else broke down.

The Goldwing is a big heavy bike, but it has brakes almost as big as those on a car, where the rotors are covered up by the wheels. I have never experienced brake fade on mine. I do not recommend putting covers over the rotors though. 1500s come with rotor covers, but they are vented. I can't help but think the brakes would be better off without the covers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.