Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

At what age did you first own a GoldWing?

• Ages 30-39

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ages 70-79

• Ages 16-19

• Ages 80+

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, I hit 51 this year, and had played around with a Kawasaki 550 for 22 years. My wife insisted I get a GoldWing, or no riding for her! Good woman......

All my life, since their very inception, I've had the perception that GoldWings were for the retired/mature stage of life. Be it due to needing deeper pockets,craving that Cadillac-style of touring comfort,attaining a lifestyle with more time for cruising, whatever one's reason for waiting until the later years, it seems rare to see many young or middle-age riders on GoldWings.

So jump in, let's see what our average decade is for today's active Winger! And why did you wait until you did to go for the Gold?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I was 23 years old when I picked up a 2 year old 75 GL 1000. Never thought of it as being an 'Old Mans' bike then, neither do I now. :baffled:

An exquisitely smoothtouring machine that can gobble up miles effortlesslyall day long, yes, but never an 'Old Mans' bike! :arguing:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I don't have a problem with an "old man's bike". Let's keep it our secret, ok?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
imported post

Well I'm 33 now and I got my '78 when I was 30. Maybe it IS an old mans bike, I don't know.. what I do know is I've gotten close on 50,000 miles on her in the last 2 years for less than 2500$. So, if old men are cheap and ride a lot.. maybe it IS.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
imported post

My first big bike was a venture, that bike introduced me to touring and of course, I naturally leaned into the most dependable bike in it's class after I retired the old venture. Test road my wing on a day in december down by milwaukee it was 34 degrees out. If that is an old man's bike, I'll take it :cool:

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

I came by my gl1200 from my son about 3 or 4 (5?) years ago. That made me 62ish and he was headed to Iraq.

He told me that he did not want it setting still because the carbs would be junk when he came home.

I had swore off bikes when the kids were little and needed their daddy to stay alive. Just never thought about riding again after that.

But oh boy! Once I did, the bug bit me hard. I rode it to work and back every day regardless of weather.

Finally traded it for a gl1500 and enjoyed that one also. It had a more comfortable seat for me, and the miles just slipped by without a whimper.

What can I say? I love Goldwings for the comfort and the lack of exhaust noise.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I looked at a 76 GL1000 in about 83, decided it was a funny kind of bike and not really what I wanted, so I got a 79 CB750. I was 35 then.

Then around 88-89 a lot of my associates started getting 1500's and having some fantastic paint jobs done on them. It became quite the craze in our small town, isolated in the north, to see who could come up with the most beautiful Wing. A lot of them didn't get ridden all that much, but they were often seen around town.

I still stuck with cruisers until 06, but I wanted to do some serious touring with the wife along, so we ended up with a Wing. I had no problem with 500 miles days on the Virago, but it wouldn't have worked with the wife, although we did quite a few miles two up.

Often wonder why I waited so long, it's the first bike out of two dozen or so that I have been truly satisfied with.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
imported post

That's funny, my wife made me give up the bike when my kids were small for the same reason, they wanted daddy around. Once the kids grew up, mama relaxed that rule and now that they are moved out and on thier own, mama wants to take a trip to yellowstone! Good thing too, cause that darn bug just about bit clean through me :)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Old men do accumulate some wisdom with the passing of the years and the bike riding onesgravitate to the Goldwing because they know a good thing when they experience it. Older fellows no longer have to show off and tend to give a lot less of a damn to what others think. Too bad you have to wait 55-60 years to get that way.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

'old man's bike'? HA!! :cheeky1: i relish some foolish person following me on the twisty parts. My 1500 is just a sport bike with a better seat:cool::action:

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

If you check mysignature you'll see I had only a few bikesand I had never ridden a wing up to the day I test drove and bought my first 89 GL1500 about four years ago now. To my constant regret I sold that one on to a guy that hadn'tbeen on a bike since the seventies and had never been on a GW at all.Well I took him out cos he was too nervious to drive it himself, just a short spin only a couple of miles, when we got back he got off and said" will you take a cheque ?"

Then my other half decided that as I am to turn 40 this year it was high that I got back in the saddleand suggested another GL1500 as an early birthday present.I have to say it really is the gift that keeps on giving.

Eric

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I just love my wing! I'll be riding on the better days all winter....and I'll hate winter just THAT much more.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

Age will not make a differance, If ti feels good ride it

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

flashya2 wrote:
OK, I hit 51 this year, and had played around with a Kawasaki 550 for 22 years. My wife insisted I get a GoldWing, or no riding for her! Good woman......

All my life, since their very inception, I've had the perception that GoldWings were for the retired/mature stage of life. Be it due to needing deeper pockets,craving that Cadillac-style of touring comfort,attaining a lifestyle with more time for cruising, whatever one's reason for waiting until the later years, it seems rare to see many young or middle-age riders on GoldWings.

So jump in, let's see what our average decade is for today's active Winger! And why did you wait until you did to go for the Gold?
Several years ago, I helped my Niece look for a new car. For her it was a lot of fun. For me, it was quite the eye opener. I didn't fit into any of the low millage cars or medium sized trucks.

When gas hit around $4 a gallon, I figured I was doomed. Then I had one of those epiphany thingies. I could get my HD back on the road. Thought about it. Did I want to do all that work, or buy a new one. Looked around and parts sure went up over the years. So I went looking at new ones.

Over the last several years I watched a lot of men, my age, buy bikes. Mostly HDs, but others as well. I figured they were going through some 'lets relive my youth' phase. Had to think about this some more.

In the end, I went with the GoldWing. Figured it is big enough, for me and Mama. Big enough and still have power and longevity. The reliability, of the GW, is legendary. I have to admit, it is 'stylish' to. Looking at the HD dressers, they didn't look any different than they did years ago.

The GW, has certainly evolved. We really fit well on the GW. I think we would have been a little cramped on the others. Plus, the GW is 112 inches 'out of the box'. This is not something to over look either. You have to spend a lot more money for 'upgrades' to get close to this, on the HDs.

So, I went with the GW. Even if we only road it 9 months a year, we'd save money. I think it is ironic that I hesitated to buy one, because I didn't want to be one of those old farts that was going through his second childhood, only to find out I had bought a 'geezer glide'.

I have not regretted this choice, so far. I am surprised at how well, something this size, handles. Both the bike and the dealership, I have found to be 100%.

So, is the GW really and old mans bike, or are the other ones just for kids?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I had a wing in 1977. I was younger then. Which group do I belong in? :baffled:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Was looking for your age when you decided to go GoldWing. Rudy was probably in high school in '77! :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Rudy WISHES he was in high school then. :cheeky1:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

mikef wrote:
Rudy WISHES he was in high school then. :cheeky1:
No kidding. :dude: I was on my second marriage by then. The wife bought it for me.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i got my '95 gl1500 interstate 5 yrs ago when i was 23. this is the first & only bike i have owned & love the vesitility of it, plenty of storage to carry what i need (most of the time), more fuel effecient & fun to ride than driving my pickup (but of cages the ram pickup is my favorite).

the bike had 22k miles when i got it, now i'm at 76k miles & counting.

i love just going out & cruising all day on it & all my buddies with bikes (mostly sport bikes but some cruisers) comsider being on the bike for an hour at a time or 100miles for the day to be to much, were i consider that a warm up run.

i was under the impression when i got it that only the more mature croud ride them (that's how i justified riding it at 23, i'm just being mature instead of a kid on a zoom splat withouta licence after the cops catch him playing to many times).

there is no question that my next bike will be a goldwing (probably an 1800).

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.