Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My wife went to a sewing thing this weekend and all the ladies there are about her age and older, let's say 50 +. Somehow the subject of my Goldwing came up...don't know how, and three of the ladies there said their husband's bought a Goldwing and it was just too big for them to handle. I can't hardly imagine that. It took me a couple of weeks but now it's not any worse than riding any other bike, handling wise.

My question, Do you think these guys were never riders to start with and got the big Wings on a whim? I just can't imagine buying one then say it's too big to handle. Or have Goldwing's pretty much maxed out their weight capabilities. How many guys bypass Goldwing's in favor of smaller, quicker, bikes? (not a question, just random thought).

NOT selling mine, NEVER.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

It's usally not a weight problem but a height problem!

Seems like under a 30" inseam people may have a problem manuvering a Wing, although i have seen guys 5' 7" tall riding just fine, but they have a system down pat !:baffled:

Just saw a guy sell a beautiful 1500 because he dropped it a couple of times due to his bad knees, he said! I'd find a good pair of knee braces?

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Experience definately plays some part. I have had 4 wings, two when I was much younger, but I soon got used to them. Having been away from them for a few years, I am less confident than I was. Riding along, no problem, but stopping and manuvering, well that's a different matter. I know I will get comfortable with it again, but if I were new to them, I might have different thoughts and consider a smaller bike.

Maybee a Honda 50!!:goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

Its experience unless they are really short say under 5'5" and really lite say under 60 kg.

I ride a 1200 and its fine, but it did take a little getting used to at low speeds under 30 kph. Once its actually moving it handles like any other bike. If I was sitting in traffic all day I would get a lighter bike, but apart from that ????

Andrew

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

I'd been riding 14 years before I got the 1500 - yes the size and weight were extremely intimidating! I still get a bit worried with low speed manoevering, having to ride up a 150 yard pebble drive everyday is gut-wrenching too.

Is it too heavy? Yes - if you can't pick it up when it's fallen over, then it's definitely too heavy.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

I'm 5'6" and it takes care, but once you get used to taking that care its like anything else, its just second nature. Like checking mirrors before changing lanes etc.

There are a few realities though when you are my height. Its not "if" you are going to drop the bike, its when. I'm on the tips of my toes on both sides, or flat on one side with the other on the peg. So if I put my feet down on gravel, or wet pavement without being balanced - down she goes. Eventually it happens - here's a hammer, some lumber and nails, build a bridge and get over it!

In the five years I had my 84, I probably dropped it 7-8 times. In the five years I had my 94 I probably dropped it 4 times. And even a small guy like me can pick these things up (used to be about 150 lbs, now maybe 170), bit embarrassing when it happens at a four way stop, but moving on.

I've only had the 85 for about 2 months and no mishaps yet. Luckily these machines are meant to be dropped without damage.

Here are two tips I live by though:

First if you are not sure about the slope of a parking space, back it in. If it turns out you can't then you know you are fighting to go uphill, and backing out later will be a snap if you nose in. This became moot when I had my 94 (reverse). When first I had my 84 I nosed into an obvious downslope, and it took me close to 45 minutes to muscle out afterwards - lesson learned!

Second, on slow maneovers (e.g. u-turns) ride the clutch keeping power to the backwheel at all times. This keeps the bike from falling into the turn. Funnily enough, this is the only time a goldwing actually feels big to me.

I'm sure there are other tips a short guy like me have for these bikes.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
imported post

Maybe you guys are not reading between the lines..."Honey, that ol' Goldwing is just too heavy for me to handle, so it would probably not be safe for you to ride down to th' pub with me.........I'll be home soon...." JP

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
imported post

I would imagine the design dictates that Goldwings be as heavy as they are. A lighter weight Goldwing would not have as nice of a ride in my opinion.

With all of that said, try not to drop your Goldwing just to see how heavy it is. My '95 GL 1500 SE got a little off balanced on some uneven pavement a couple of days ago and I had forgotten how much finesse it takes to get it back upright.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I have had my '83 for about a year and half. Didn't drop it once last year. Pretty proud of myself. Darn proud of myself. Put about 5000 miles on it mostly local stuff.

Then this year rolls around. Over the winter, I went all through the bike, fixed it up and couldn't wait to ride. Everything went well until: (soap opera music in background) I had rolled into the garage where I keep it. All ofa sudden, my ol' girl decided to rid me of her presence. We took a slow roll to the left. As I was going down, I decided to throw myself under her to save her from damage. Smart me. Do you want to know how much a wing weighs? With the front engine crash guard now resting on the top of my left foot? A bit on the heavy side. As I lay there on the garage floor, with my left foot trapped under the guard, I said "Gee, what a pickle I seem to got myself into." (Or something like that)

After dragging my foot out from under the guard, tearing tendons as I go, I managed to stand up and look at my ol' girl with new interest. Should I just let her lay there until tomorrow? No, I figured that wouldn't be in our best interest. I backed into her and picked her up. Even managed to get her on the center stand. Couldn't ride for over a week because where the shifter hits the top of my foot is also where she sat on me. I about P***ed my pants the first time I tried to shift.

Anyway, I'm healed and have a new respect for the 'wing.

Have a good one.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
imported post

My 'Wing (83 GL1100, bought in '04) is my first bike. For one, it IS darn heavy, but the last one I rode was 20 years ago and I didn't remember any difference. I did make a few mistakes when I first got it...mainly the mistake of thinking I could push it through damp grass! Heh...then, of course, was the ridiculous idea that I could stop it from falling over if I strained hard enough. What a dumba** I was that day. Of course, that was ALL on the first day, and when I treated her with the respect she deserves, I've learned how to handle her just fine. I have a feeling that if I jumped on a Rebel or a Valkyrie, or God forbid, a Ninja - I'd think they were way too light, flimsy, fickle and dangerous. Well, maybe not the Valk....

My point is, yeah, it's a lot of weight to be throwing around, but it's not too much if one treats it with the respect it deserves and doesn't let their riding get ahead of their ability to do so.

My two cents (pence, for my friends across the pond). :)

Jack

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, I'm amazed at the experts who sell Wings on eBay, 'never been dropped'. I can tell you for sure I'll never advertise one that way, truth in advertising laws would come down on me. Once in awhile it will happen, try putting your foot down in an oily patch on the road. I do know that I can get her back up whether it's on the crash bar or all the way down. It's the price you pay for riding such a glorious behemoth! I did ride a neighbor's 250 the other day and while it's a nice little bike I'd feel awful exposed and vulnerable on the freeway with it. It did take me a while to get over the intimidated feeling I had coming back to bikes after a long break. I bought my first Wing about a year and a half ago, felt like manuevering a tank. Every time I got off it, I felt like celebrating my survival. After a few hours of riding and practice I find it easy to make a U turn on a two lane street riding two up. While the bike is heavy, it's mass does help to keep things from happening suddenly when manuevering at low speed. Of course when it does go, nothing on earth is going to stop her, just get the hell out of the way. When I got my new motorcycle license (they didn't have them when I quit riding) it was a laugh to see me negotiating the slalom cone course. I think I could do it now with the woman who hangs around here on the back now. When my knees go, I'll probably look at landing gear to keep going a few more years, love that 'Wing.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Are Goldwings too heavy? Of course they are, but we still love them. There are loads of owners out there who have never dropped a Goldwing even once. I've had close shaves (gravel etc) but never actually touched down a Wing. It must be something about all that expensive plastic that makes us have respect for the bike (or just plain fear of all the weight) because I've dropped, slid and walloped a few other bikes in my time.

My father used to say; "Any motorcycle you can't lift up by yourself after a fall is too heavy."

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

BigAl wrote:
Are Goldwings too heavy? Of course they are, but we still love them. There are loads of owners out there who have never dropped a Goldwing even once. I've had close shaves (gravel etc) but never actually touched down a Wing. It must be something about all that expensive plastic that makes us have respect for the bike (or just plain fear of all the weight) because I've dropped, slid and walloped a few other bikes in my time.

My father used to say; "Any motorcycle you can't lift up by yourself after a fall is too heavy."
So the fact that you haven't dropped yours, has nothing to do with your name then, Big Al, and the fact that you are probably built like Jeff Capes!!:waving::banana:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

fatalattraction wrote:
My question, Do you think these guys were never riders to start with and got the big Wings on a whim? I just can't imagine buying one then say it's too big to handle. Or have Goldwing's pretty much maxed out their weight capabilities. How many guys bypass Goldwing's in favor of smaller, quicker, bikes? (not a question, just random thought).

NOT selling mine, NEVER.

Just a thought, I think that one of the reasons the Goldwing has the following and status that it has is that its not a bike for anyone. to own and ride a goldwing you have to be keen, they are heavy, it's a fact, they handle terribly at low speed, it's a fact, they are not manoverable at low speed, it's a fact, they are difficult to maintain, it's a fact., they aren't fast, its a fact.

They are fantastic to ride once you get moving, they are extremely comfortable, I ahve never had as many women I don't know asking for a ride on any other bike (should have got one years ago). they are very smooth. You can ride them a speed for extended periods of time and they love it. You don't even notice riding 2 up, you can tow trailers (I never have).

These and many other things are what make the wing a bike among bikes. My brother has a Huyabusa and its spectacular, but when his Huyabusa is dead and buried my wing will still be chugging along, (unless I've found more money and got a 1500 or 1800)

I may well own another sportsbike but I will ALWAYS own a wing.

Do we really want fly by night riders on wings? Or is it better for the wing fraternity that you need to be keen to own one

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Andrewl wrote:
Its experience unless they are really short say under 5'5" and really lite say under 60 kg.

I ride a 1200 and its fine, but it did take a little getting used to at low speeds under 30 kph. Once its actually moving it handles like any other bike. If I was sitting in traffic all day I would get a lighter bike, but apart from that ????

Andrew
Oooh Andrew, you tread on thin ice again!!:shock:Do I perhaps recognise those statistics as being a tad above those of a certain lady.:stumped:

You are a sucker for punishment mate, better get the tin helmet on!!

:madeyes:pete

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

He better be careful what he writes "Silverfox" or the little Lady might sick "Scobby Doo" (The Great Dane x) on ole Andrew !!

Heck she might be riding him when he attacks,like "Joan of Arc" ,lol!:goofygrin::chopper:

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

I'm 5'4" and have owned my 95 Aspencade since new.Let's just say that left engine guard has seen "action" a few times...usually only while parking the thing, once in Mexico when the guy in front of me stopped on a steep gravel driveway...we were two-up...arrgghh. :whinger:

Being vertically challenged and inseam deprived all my life, I've just gotten over it. I do the one-foot hop at stoplights, slide the butt to the right...and so on. There really isn't anything I can do about it. Maybe I could get boot extensions? Hmmm. I have heard of cutting down the seat...anybody have any good ideas...short of growth hormones?

I wonder whether Honda would ever consider an "L" version...no...not loser...but LOW...sort of like the new Harley Sportster 883L. Dream on!:grinner:

Greg

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Now your handle makes sence, "2 big 4 Me".lol!

Get low profile tires, cut the seat down, lower shocks and taller boots !:baffled:

By the way "Tucson's" my second Home,lot of good memories there !

How long have you been there?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Hey Greg. Welcome. :waving::waving:

I have a friend in Phoenix that is vertically challenged also. I can't testify to the inseam part though.:goofygrin: He just bought a brand new 1800. He let all the air out of the rear to drop it some.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.