Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

since the last thread that I started seeking scientific data on the topic was deleted,
I figured This time I would ask for opinions and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Probably the same damn thing. :byebye:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

LOL....

Really opening a BIG can of worms here.........LOL

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I think somebody got a big ol piece of coal for Christmas....

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Some like them some don't. Everyone has an opinion. If you feel safe do it if not don't. Way too many folks report a positive experience for it to be a terrible idea. How do you define "better" way too many variables in the question. Jay

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

From all the discussions I've seen it appears that those who don't like CTs are the ones who haven't tried them.
So if a person hasn't tried them just how valid is their opinion?

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

Wadcutter wrote:
From all the discussions I've seen it appears that those who don't like CTs are the ones who haven't tried them.
So if a person hasn't tried them just how valid is their opinion?

The scientific facts, figures and math that go into thedesigning a pneumatic tire.

The firstlink is on the characteristics of design, mechanics, and loads placed on pneumatic tires. As stated before, the cornering characteristics and loads placed on a pneumatictire start in section 1.4 on the bottom of page 30.

http://media.wiley.com/product_data/excerpt/19/04713546/0471354619.pdf

This second linkare thebasic facts, figures and loadsplacedjust on motorcycle tires

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Tire-Information-Handbook.pdf

I will say this disclaimer again

I am not trying to persuade nor disuade somebody from using a CT on a MC but just providing the facts and letting you be the judge. To me there is a difference between somebody's opinion and the facts. You ride your ride and I will ride my ride.

What caused the last one to get axed is probably all the name calling that went on about sportbike riders. We have had lengthy discussions on forbidden topics before if they are kept civil. Please if we want to discuss facts lets discuss facts.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

most peaple put a CT on to replace a old worn out MC tire so it should feel better. My View there both round and black. The typical rider would not tell much diffrence. They both have + and - so. when I have to change out my rear on my 1500 not shure which why I will go.
One thing I know is the dunlop on the back now is an awsome tire. I can mash the throttle hard comming out of a tight slow speed cornner and it just hook's Love it. I think so far the only thing bad about it is it howel's but part of that I blame on the dame quite mufflers.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i have had a few laughs at allthese car tire postings. its not a new idea, i was using car tires on harleys over 50 years ago. never heard of a problem doing it. you pay your money and take your chances as the old saying goes. merry xmas to each and everyone. regards walkabout :smiler:

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

CT would be much cheaper for the manufaturer to put on a GW, wonder why it's not standard..... NOT. It is designed for a car, not a GW. Yeah it will last many miles and it is cheap, but the performance and safety is suffering. It might be worth it to a few but will never be mounted on my bike regardless of how much some are trying to pursuade others due to their inability to pay for a MC tire. Just my $0.02....

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Clearly some like them some don't. No opinion required here in UK becuase its illegal and would render your insurance void.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
since the last thread that I started seeking scientific data on the topic was deleted,.
What got it deleted was a few members attacking each other. We need all the good CT infomation we can get and it was an interesting thread until the bickering started.

Try keep this one on track please. I for one am interested in CT info, and I'd appreciate if we keep zoomsplat debates for another thread or another forum.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Most hard "data" always seems to be twisted in the direction of the company that paid to have it done.

Just like history.

Depending where you live in the world the history books differ greatly.

Real world "self experience" is all anybody needs and depending on the person, that also, can vary greatly.

Bottom line is; "Do what you think is best for you"

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

I replaced a loud E3 tire with one. The car tire is quiet and very smooth.

I will say, I have 15000 miles on my car tire. According to the thread depth gauge, it is half way to the wear bars. Another 15,000 miles to go before I change it for another car tire. I might try the Dunlop Winter sport ROF as my next car tire.

I wouldn't suggest it to anyone. I just did the research and followed what others had success doing. My tire was $87 shipped to my door. Yes, I could have paid $200 for my rear tire and it would be worn out and being replaced now.

It is getting less and less controversial. Most of the darksiders don't even comment on these threads anymore because rarely does it accomplish anything. Arguments break out from people who haven't tried it and those that justify their decision to do so.

My car tire is in my signature.

:congrats:

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

norton,

This is one of those questions like "If God created the earth, what about the fossil record?" I call such things "imponderables," just accept that their will be controversy... mostly because we will NEVER really know. There are arguments both ways... as for me, I love my Dunlop Wintersport. I wish it were a bit taller, but I am very happy with mine.

As for cold, hard statistics I started a thread here a while back which I have become to lazy to find... it featured a series of photos outlining the mounted dimensions of the Wintersport...

Gallery here: http://culleynet.com/zen/Goldwing%20Tech/winter-service-2011-12/

BTW: As for the fossil record question. I minored in geology so I have some real training here. I accept that I am corporeal, and therefore limited in my scope, perceptions and understanding of time space and the universe. If I am willing to accept on faith that God is not bound by my corporeal constraints and is truly infinite, then it only stands to reason He is capable of doing things I cannot perceive or comprehend within this (or other) dimension(s).

Besides... who says were are God's first, last or only currently running experiment with sentient life anyway? That would be very egocentric don't you think?

·
Pwhoever
3,161 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
CT would be much cheaper for the manufaturer to put on a GW, wonder why it's not standard..... NOT. It is designed for a car, not a GW. Yeah it will last many miles and it is cheap, but the performance and safety is suffering. It might be worth it to a few but will never be mounted on my bike regardless of how much some are trying to pursuade others due to their inability to pay for a MC tire. Just my $0.02....
Well, here's my opinion. And just like others, I am not telling anyone to run out and do this, just offering my experiences...

I think the opposite is true as far as safety goes. I tend to be on the more aggressive side of the spectrum when it comes to riding style. I think that traction has greatly improved. But where I believe that it really shines is on wet pavement. I have never had the handling and traction on two wheels that I now have using a C/T. Do I have a certain respect for wet surfaces? Absolutely. However I no longer feel the need to drastically adjust my riding style like I used to when when the rain is falling. And not just driving but braking. I find that my braking on wet surfaces is greatly improved as well. I do not fear having to make a quick stop.

And recently I picked up a utility razor blade in my rear tire that sliced completely through the treads but was stopped by the steel radial belts. If I had been riding on a bias ply M/T, I am reasonably sure that it would have sliced all the way through. I was still able to nurse it home without needing to tow it. I had to replace that tire but it was a lot less painless spending $90 instead of $200. Now did having a C/T on the rear with more of a contact patch on the ground as opposed to a M/T contribute to picking up the blade? Who knows but it definitely made me feel better after the experience that I was using the C/T....

My 2cents worth...

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Something that seamed to get confusing in the last thread & perhaps should be clarified is "What Bike are we discussing here?" I don't think this topic can be discussed as a general Motorcycle issue. I only have experience with my '96 Goldwing SE, when my Shadow comes out in the spring it will also have a C/T installed, then I can offer my opinions on that bike as well - for now ------- discussing a C/T on "'any other" 2 wheel vehicle :?:?:?

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

I am hoping some will read and do the math that I have presented. Facts are facts. There is no gray area in math, 2+2 always equals 4. Everybody keeps asking for this "data" and this "data" being presented is not skewed by whoever paid for it. This is the math that is required to design tires.

For my "opinion", I must state that I have not ever run a car tire on a motorcycle. But my opinion is back by that fact that there is high loads and stress placed on the side wall of a tire which is on a motorcycle when the camber angle gets increased which a car tire is not designed for. Yes, you may run a car tire on a motorcycle and nothing happens and just because you have done it successfully for years does not make it safe or change the math. If you played Russian Roulette for years and have spun the revolver 1,000,000 times, does that make it safe?

I know I am going to make some darksiders mad and I know I will probably not convince those that run car tires, but I am presenting facts, not opinions. But you are free to ride the ride you wish to ride.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

82gl1100iwingman wrote:
I know I am going to make some darksiders mad...
Oddly it seems to me that most Darksiders are the ones that are least worrisome about this.

It's like loosing your virginity...

At the time... it's a big event... but in retrospect... it was just "another" event. 'Prolly not as momentous in the grand scheme of things as you thought before the event.

You deal with it and move on!

T

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.