Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1986 Aspencade is very cold blooded and if I don't let it warm up until I see 2-bars on temp gauge its rough...also think my slow speed jets are plugged, it bucks and snorts until I ride it for about 15 minutes and motor gets really warmed up and then it seems to be fine. Does this sound like slow speed jets? I can get rpms up even when temp is still cool and it really goes, so I am thinking my fast/high speed jets are fine...how hard is it, and can I just clean slow speed jets and also would I need to sync carbs after this.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
imported post

yeh they are pretty cold blooded, although shouldnt kick and buck, even cold.

might be worth running a bit of sea foam though the system, and perhaps try a small amount of choke, until she is warm, then close it off.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
imported post

My 1984 1200I was cold blooded, always had to let her warm up for a few minutes. Started with the choke wide open then as she fired I would bring the choke down to around 2000rpm for two or three minutes then drive off. As I went down the road about a mile I could close the choke. If you hit the gas hard she would tell you she wasnt warm enough and to back off. NEVER try and make a quick pullout with a semi warm engine. Nice and smooth up to running temp and your all set for the day.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

yes, SEAFOAM !
yes, slo jets plugged
yes, change the fuel filter

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

hoofman wrote:
My 1984 1200I was cold blooded, always had to let her warm up for a few minutes. Started with the choke wide open then as she fired I would bring the choke down to around 2000rpm for two or three minutes then drive off. As I went down the road about a mile I could close the choke. If you hit the gas hard she would tell you she wasnt warm enough and to back off. NEVER try and make a quick pullout with a semi warm engine. Nice and smooth up to running temp and your all set for the day.
FWIW, my '85 Aspy behaves the same way, and this is exactly the way Ihandle it. I'm going to check the carb synchronization next week just to be sure, but I don't expect to find any big discrepancies.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Would I have to sync carbs if I just cleaned the low speed jets?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

Oh - I dunno - my 84-I needs maybe 10-15 seconds of choke - then complains if it's left on...

Welcome to Sunny Arizona, I guess...

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

yes, if you remove the carbs or take them loose from the stands you will need to resync which honestly could be the problem to start with, cant hurt to try

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

When IGOT my '86A (only had it for a short time), It would be "Cold Blooded".I would let it warm up to three bars on the heat gauge, & it still didn't want to go. I sync the carbs and that only help an a small scale. I rebuilt the carbs & that helps quite a bit. But still it really didn't want to go right after a startup.

I shimmed the needle jets and the "Cold Blooded-ness" was GONE completely. I could start it without the choke, let it run long enough to put my helmet on, get on it & go with out ANY stumbles or hesitations.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,139 Posts
imported post

galaxyhunter wrote:
I shimmed the needle jets and the "Cold Blooded-ness" was GONE completely. I could start it without the choke, let it run long enough to put my helmet on, get on it & go with out ANY stumbles or hesitations.
And what did that do for your gas mileage? Anything significant?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

PAPete wrote:
galaxyhunter wrote:
And what did that do for your gas mileage? Anything significant?
I didn't have the bike long enough to do a long track of it, But I got 38-40 mpg per tank. I didn't notice any differance between pre & post shimming.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.