Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I'm about to replace mine, along with a new rear final drive..........and the rear drive flangepart number is the same for the 1984 and 1985 GL 1200's, but then the part number changes for the 86 GL 1200, yet the part looks exactly the same in a photo. I'm about to place the order, and need to know soon. They don't make these new anymore BTW. I found a new one for sale for an 86 GL 1200, and I found a used one for sale for all GL 1200's for 1984 and 85..... My wing is a 1984.......I would rather buy the new one which isadvertised as for only 86 and 87 wing's only........ Thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
imported post

1984/85 driven flange is the same. The bearing was placed directly into the wheel and does after time loosen. The hole in the driven flange, wheel side, is smaller than the 86/87. So check to see if the bearing is loose in your wheel.

The 86/87 has a steel insert in the wheel that the bearing is pressed into. The driven flange has a larger hole because of the bearing change.

The spline side looks the same on both styles, it's the pin side you need to look at.

I obtained a 87 wheel and driven flange for my 84.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks for your help.....I really appreciate it.......That explains why they have different part numbers. I guess I have the same question for the final drive gear or " Pumpkin". Do you know if they are all interchangeable with all the GL 1200's? BTW I just found a great resource for older gold wing parts. It's a family owned business in florida called " Used Goldwing Parts Inc. " I just ordered a used drive flange for 84-85 wings from them today. ($150) and my friend sold me a pumpkin in great condition from an 85 wing, so I think I'll be all set. They only sell parts in good shape, and they guarantee them or you can return them for a full refund.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.