Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ive been trying to decide if I should upgrade my seat. I currently have a 2000, 1500 wing. I think the seat is squishy. Wife and I both get uncomfortable after about 50 - 75 miles. We are ready to get off. I took a small 1000 mile trip this past summer, bought a jell, wool, cover. Better, but not great.

So that's the back ground. I've been looking for months, cause that's what I do. I hate spending money and then being dissipointed. I know I can easily drop a grand on a new seat. But is it worth it? I've moved money already and ready to order, but I'm still thinking, is it going to be worth it?

So all of you who have upgraded, tell me if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, or do your regret it? Was it worth the money?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i agree with your post after about 100ish miles im ready to get off for alittle bit but i dont think that going 150 or 200 miles in one strech is worth the price of a aftermarket seat

some only cost a couple hundred on ebay but what i've noticed if you dont get the seat built for you your taking a gamble on getting a used aftermarket seat, even buying it new is upwards of 600 bucks

i just deal with the seat for a hundred or so miles and get off for 20 or so minutes

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

I got one made for my height and weight on EBay for 300. keep looking, there are some deals out there.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Im still using my $12 memory foam bath mat from walmart........

Before this last trip to Pa and back, I put another 1" piece of foam in between the folded mat, and put that in a Plush fabric cover I made for it. I sat on that bike for 200 miles at a time and only stopped for gas, got right back on and kept riding. For once I never even thought about the seat.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Tell me more about the memory foam bath mat Jobe05. my junk gets numb after about 100 miles and I start squirming around like a little kid.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

just go to the doctor and get a cortizone shot before the butt burner 1000

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I'll go down and take it apart tomorrow and take some pictures.

For the old bike, it is a nice alternative for a good seat, and cheap too.

Heres a pic of the mat itself, just folded over and bungeed to the seat. that worked better than the bare seat did, but with the extra cushion and the cover, it's awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I have found that for me if it says Corbin it is worth the money. Is it soft and cushy? NO WAY hard as setting on a log. But it never changes and does not bunch up and feel like a pillow is trying to crawl up your butt. I have done many miles on them and I like them. I just bought a 1800 and I am trying to figure out how to get one for it. But I will say the 1800 is the most comfortable stock seat I have ever riden on. I did a 700 plus mile day ride just a couple of days after the purchase. Very nice. But I figure with a Corbin a 1000 mile ride will be like riding around the block.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Cool Jobe, thanks

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

Corbin nothing like it's not just for the first days ride. You really find out over a few days in a row.:action:

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

desert wings wrote:
Corbin nothing like it's not just for the first days ride. You really find out over a few days in a row.:action:
++

Do yourself a favor and buy a used Corbin.

If the cover is trashed, buy it for $50 and take it to an upholster guy. $125 later you are good to go.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Danimal wrote:
I know I can easily drop a grand on a new seat. But is it worth it? I've moved money already and ready to order, but I'm still thinking, is it going to be worth it?

So all of you who have upgraded, tell me if it was the greatest thing since sliced bread, or do your regret it? Was it worth the money?
It's definitely worth it in my opinion. Get one made for your size and you will find that not only is your butt happier, but you'll be in a more comfortable riding position. It's an amazing difference. I went with the Hartco because of the price difference from the Corbin. Below is a picture of my bike with my Hartco. I went with the velour because I liked the look of it and because cloth seats tend to be more comfortable in the heat. I like it and it is wearing well, except for some color fading on the back seat backrest, I think from the sun. Vinyl would probably hold it's color longer.

Nice choice in bikes BTW. :cheesygrin:

John

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Danimal wrote:
I know I can easily drop a grand on a new seat.
...is that right. :coollep:.... > Hmmm ..

Well then, ...send your seat to me along with the big G-dollar and I'll send it right back to you good as new, ...Armor-All'd and with a couple of new gel-pads right where they need to be. Shoot, I'll even heat that thing for 'ya.

I've got an hour or so tomorrow for that price. ;)

Just don't do this > :doh:< 6 months from now when you realize that you could've done it yourself from the various threads that are floating'round here.

(You can do it yourself. I mean, what are going to loose, right?)

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

You can't build a Corbin yourself. Here is a tip:

Use this craigslist search tool. Search goldwing Corbin. You will find several listings of goldwings for sale. email them and ask if they would consider selling the corbin. $250 later, you are sitting comfy.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
I bought one of the "gel" seat pads. This link to this one at Canadian Tire is sold down in the States too: http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoAccessories/SeatCushions/PRD~0321419P/Gel%252BSeat%252BCushion.jsp

I found it makes the world of a difference on long trips. Very inexpensive too.
That's what I been using and like pretty well also.
Cheap at $20 at Wal-mart compared to a new seat.

I think I'll also try Jobe05 bath mat foam idea in mine. These unzip so you can stuff in another pad if you want or a real gel cushion etc...

I guess if I had to replace a bad seat I might look into a better type seat, but I'm cheap/broke and nothing wrong with my seat so why replace it.

Also I've heard the real sheep skin wool pelts are great to ride on long distances.
One day I'll pop the $90 at the leather shop for a large hide maybe. Then I can ride on cushion a bit and if tired of it the sheep skin and later maybe both at same time.
Have some variety for my butt on long rides that way

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
You can't build
:D...that's a phrase not in my vocabulary.

But hey, if it's a Corbin, it must be perfect, right?

...it ain't my money. I'm ok with it. :)

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Some aftermarket saddles don't fit as well as the OEM. I had issues with a Road Sofa and sent it back. The gap between the pillion end and the backrest was too big.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Most people think they can/should be able to just jump on a bike and put 500-700mi on in a day and be utterly comfortable and are disappointed when they take their 1st trip and find the 'seat' uncomfortable after 150, or so miles.

So, they drop a bundle on a new 'after market' seat, thinking that will cure all their seating woes. More often than not, they are disappointed with their purchase when the new seat only lasts maybe another 100 mi further, before their butt is screaming again.

What they fail to realize is that they need to 'Break Their Butt in'!!

If all you normally ride is 50 -250 miles in a typical day's outing, you'll need to break your butt in. What you need to do is put on a couple of 500+ miles per day in a row, for a couple of weekends and then your butt will become broken in.

A sheepskin pelt helps quite a bit, as it 'breathes' beneath your butt, keeping it cooler when hot/warm out and warmer when cool/cold out. There's no more sitting directly on a scorching hot vinyl seat that's been sitting out in the blazing sun, or one covered in frost when it gets cold out.

If your bike has less than 100,000 miles on it, there's a very good chance that your current seat is still in good shape and will provide many more miles of comfortable seating, after you have broken your butt in. Ever ridden a 10 speedbicycle with one of those narrow leather saddles? Remember how uncomfortable it was when you 1st started riding it, yet how comfortable it became once it and your butt became broken in a couple of weeks and many miles latter? .... Same principal with your wing's seat, unless you own an earlier GL1000, with it's 'flat as an iron' seat.

My original stock seat on my 1992 Aspencade is still quite comfortable for putting on 500+ miles, day after day, with over 170,000 showing on the clock.

Give that a try, before you drop a bundle on an expensive after market seat. You've got nothing to lose. ;)

Dusty

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.