Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello UK Goldwing riders.
My wife and I are planning to visit our granddaughter in Kingston on Thames this summer and are hoping to also attend a brass band contest while we are in England. Anyone out there familiar with the championships in the last of June? My understanding is that the site is guild Hall, Preston. I am a retired Texas bandmaster and am looking forward to visiting the UK for the first time. I'd love to hear from anyone with informaton or observations on our plans.
Thanks, :):)
Lee
1977 GL1000

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Muser 3, we are about 10 miles south of Kingston upon Thames.... lovely spot for you to stay. I am not familiar with the brass band contest in Preston, but am not all that surprosed that it would be held there as it is the heart of brass band country.

I will do some digging about to see what I can find that may be of interest to you.

I was a drum major in a Sea Cadet band in my youth, and loved it. Won a few competitions back in the day. :D

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the comeback Pete. We had hoped that the late April/early May contests in Birmingham would work out for us, but it didn'so we're going for the late June dates. Could you please tell me where Preston is? My GB maps are really not that good. glad to hear you had experience in the band. There's nothing like it as far as I know and lots of happy kids and adults are a result from the movement.
Thanks again,
Lee

·
Premium Member
6,278 Posts
imported post

muser3,PRESTON, is in Lancashire,north west ,England, about 20mls from my home, and with out doubt the brass band centre of the world;)only joking, because all the proper brass bands come from Yorkshire :DHalifax, brig house, etc, if you need any further help please ask!!!!, if you are stuck i will meet you and take you to the guild hall all the best pp

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks kindly for the informaton, Pinkpork!
As time draws nearer for our trip I will indeed have questions. We will most likely stay in Kingston upon Thames. About how far is it to Preston from there? We will use public transportation if at all possible.
Kindest regards,
Lee/muser3

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Preston is a fair way from Kingston upon Thames, but probably not a problem using public transport, since you can easily get to Central London from K.u.Thames.

We tend to gripe about the high prices of any public transport, but to be fair the trains do provide a decent network and if you are not committed to travel in rush hours it is easy enough to get around on.

Having got up near to Preston, you might be wise to take Pink Porks offer of chauffeuring you to the Guild Hall, since local public transport can be more sparse and not geared up for distance travellers with suit cases etc. ( I apologise in advance if Preston has some wonderful transport network, that the rest of us don't!!)

I certainly wouldn't complain about going to see some of our brass bands, they have a good reputation of being some of the best in the world and of course have a great heritage.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

i would have though in your current climate foxy that anything brass might have fallen off.........:shock::shock:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.