Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

CJ and Red's homeward leg.....

After the madness of Memphis and the insanity of I-40, the green peace of Arkansas spread over our tortured souls like a soothing balm! Lopeha kindly met us just off I-40 and took us to his home and to his talented wife, where they barbequed some chicken and introduced us to his riding friends: G Lester, Monk,and Dave 0430. TheseArkie gentlemen are riders all (Dave has a year-old 1800 with 30,000 plus miles on the ticker!), and after a great meal and some great conversation, they plotted a route through their beautiful state for us......

And beautiful Arkansas is.... The roads here are sensual, almost alive, and they follow the nap of the earth perfectly. You can contour-fly through Arkansas and never leave the ground! The next morning, we started, via Lopeha's suggestion, on Highway 5, then Highway 124, and then began on 16; but the roadway was kinda rough and bothersome for my beautiful wife in her snazzy little Miata, and so we left 16 and found first Highway 65 North, and then 62 West. (Lopeha, I'll be back to ride all of 16 with you someday, promise!).....

Back at Lopeha's house, Monk, cupping his big football player hands around an area in northwestern Arkansas about the size of Delaware and Rhode Island, said:

"From about here to here, you won't find a bad road!"

And we didn't! While 65N and 62W might be second-rate roads in Arkansas, theywould befirst class motorcycle roads anywhere else! We enjoyed them very much! If you are thinking of riding in Arkansas, and can get there, ride it! We especially enjoyed the resort town of Eureka Springs.......

This town is an old mineral water bathtown (back in the 1800's, people thought naturally hot mineral water would cure anything!), and, while it's since been "touristed up," the town is motorcycle friendly and lovely to be in. It reminds me of places like the French Quarter in New Orleans and of Beale Street in Memphis.... it is really a place you should see..... I finally got my hands on an old Indian in Eureka Springs, and saw one of the most interestingly modified 1100's ever.... check the photos. We loved Eureka Springs, and we loved Arkansas.... until next time.....

(I'll post some links for pictures, but it may take me awhile!)

The Arkie Fourmites: Lopeha, me, G Lester, Dave 0430, Monk

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009104.jpg

In Eureka Springs, Arkansas, I finally got my hands on an old Indian....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009110-1.jpg

Eureka Springs, the Paris of Arkansas.....

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009114.jpg

Wondering what to do with that old 1100 or 1000? How about this?

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/roscinante/MCtrip2009112.jpg

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
imported post

I have to agree with you about Arkansas roads. I just got back Saturday from a 4 day camping trip there. I stayed at the Queen Whelimena State Park on top of the Ouachita Mountains. Rode the Talimena Parkway and several of the other roads including parts of Scenic Hwy 7.

Had a blast up there. I go about every other year.

Glad you had a great time.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

mlsa wrote:
I have to agree with you about Arkansas roads. I just got back Saturday from a 4 day camping trip there. I stayed at the Queen Whelimena State Park on top of the Ouachita Mountains. Rode the Talimena Parkway and several of the other roads including parts of Scenic Hwy 7.

Had a blast up there. I go about every other year.

Glad you had a great time.
Hwy 7 is a great ride.... Red and I did that some years ago, coming down from Branson to Hot Springs.... I could live in Arkansas in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Gotta watch that guy in the middle of that group shot when camping next to him. He snores a lot and gets up at 5:30 in the am. Too early for me!!!

:shock::shock::D:D:D:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

CJ

So glad you enjoyed Arkansas. We do have a lot of good roads. Itwill take several trips to explore them all. I hope you are able to come back soon.

Some of our roads just North of I-40 from Morrilton across to around Searcy are getting a lot of big truck traffic ... so they are beginning to show some wear. They found Natural Gas in that area and several companies have brought their heavy equipment trying to get it out of the ground.

I've had to stop using one of my favorite two lane roads over to Sunrise Honda in Searcy because of the big truck traffic and the condition of the road.

But there are still some great places to go a little further north and west ... so come on back so I can show you some of them.

Bob

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Hi, Monk...... Did your bike finally get totalled after the 4-wheel engagement? How did your insurance work out? Got that new 1800 or 1300 yet? Remember.... wear the mesh all the time! Those scabs definitely looked painful! If you ever get up this way, please look us up!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

I you go to the Harrison area and want a neat place to stay go to the Hub. http://www.hubinfo.com/ The owner Randal and his wife Debbie are great folks. This was part of the old Little Abner theme park Dog Patch. There are tons of great rides. We went on Montain view and clocked 180 miles of beautiful country and crossed the Buffalo National River twice. The Hotel was closed for 15 years but Randal is fixing it up. Expect about a 2 star but it is clean. Still it is a great Motorcycle Motel.

·
Premium Member
20,611 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
I could live in Arkansas in a heartbeat!
Well CJ....just drag Red there and set up a homestead!! ;)

This way you can meet usin Eureka Springs every year for the Midwest MNG!!!! :cooldevil:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
Hi, Monk...... Did your bike finally get totalled after the 4-wheel engagement? How did your insurance work out? Got that new 1800 or 1300 yet? Remember.... wear the mesh all the time! Those scabs definitely looked painful! If you ever get up this way, please look us up!
The bike is totalled ... the ATV hit the side of the engine pretty hard. They are afraid debriscould havegotten in before it shut down. The damage was up to over $12,000 without getting into the engine.

I've had some communication with the insurance company, but nothing is finalized yet. Hopefully it will be, in the next couple of weeks.

So I am temporarily without a ride. :(

Bob

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

As you probably know, don't settle for their first offer -- which is bound to be ridiculously low! Tell them that their silly price is a dealer's retail price, and that most Goldwings are sold owner to owner...... go ahead now and start shopping for prices for the bikes you want to replace your old one...... I did that and sent the ads and prices to the adjuster.

They ignored me for nearly two months hoping I'd panic and bite..... don't do it! Don't say a word! Eventually, they'll start to panic and give you a more decent offer.... Don't let your desire for a bike drive you to settle too soon. If necessary, buy a beater to ride until you get what you want......

My first offer from my insurance company on my '96 Aspie was $5900, and they eventually paid me $8900.......

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I am 52 miles from Arkansas, and frequent those roads many times throughout the season. Good stuff there...

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
imported post

CJ, Thank You for the kind words. You & Red are welcome here anytime you want. I sure hope you didn't let the cat out of the bag about Arkansas. But shoot, we love to have visitors so "Come in Down!"

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Monk wrote:
CJ

So glad you enjoyed Arkansas. We do have a lot of good roads. Itwill take several trips to explore them all. I hope you are able to come back soon.

Some of our roads just North of I-40 from Morrilton across to around Searcy are getting a lot of big truck traffic ... so they are beginning to show some wear. They found Natural Gas in that area and several companies have brought their heavy equipment trying to get it out of the ground.

I've had to stop using one of my favorite two lane roads over to Sunrise Honda in Searcy because of the big truck traffic and the condition of the road.

But there are still some great places to go a little further north and west ... so come on back so I can show you some of them.

Bob
Can I go, please, please, please???

DeDub

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

DeDubya wrote:
Can I go, please, please, please???

DeDub

Absolutely !!

We might need to explore some of them ourselves until he is able to get back. :action:

Of course that is after I get settled up with the insurance company. This homebound stuff without a bike is NOT conducive to good mental health. :(

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

My wife and I couldn't make the First NASSIR so we settled for what I now know as someplace that we will visit many many more times in the future....It's Arkansas..we spent three really great days in Hot Springs, did a few of the tourists things, visited the Crystal mines, and had our pictures took in one of those studios that you will never show those pictures to any one...However I believe that one of mine and my wife's pictures that we didn't buy is in the front window..... The owner had me sign it ..:shock:........OK first crack gets you taken off my friends list......"John Wayne" aka My real name....If it's not there they didn't need a guard dog....Or it broke the window..:cheeky1:..

In Hot Springs we stayed at an really old Hotel, The Park Hotel, that like a lot of places we saw there, is under new ownership and as many other places going through a lot of remodeling..... The guy that owns it is a former attorney from New York, his wife is Italian and the restaurant dining was to die for....Real Italian cooking big plates of food and while a tad pricey it was worth every penny.......Across the street was the observation tower ...That short State Park road to the top of that hill had some great twisties in it that need my Wing on them....:action::action::action:...

Yup we are going back again Wing or no Wing because we were treated extremely nice by the citizens of Arkansas.....You guys there really know the meaning of "Southern Hospitality"....

Claude.......

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

CJ, it was great to finally get to meet you and Red. And we are so glad that you enjoyed your trip thru this beautiful state. I've only have lived here a couple of years, but have begun to grow quite fond of it, mostly because of all of the beautiful areas of the state. Come on back anytime, the roads are waiting!:D

Gene:waving:

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

DeDubya, I'm going to go wear out some of those roads this saturday if you care to join me send me a PM.
Anyone else that wants is welcome to come along too.

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Gotta watch that guy in the middle of that group shot when camping next to him. He snores a lot and gets up at 5:30 in the am. Too early for me!!!

:shock::shock::D:D:D:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::waving::waving::waving::waving::waving:
Sir, that is 4:30 AM, and I made the coffee!:action::action:

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
imported post

Redbaron, come on up to Eureka Springs over Labor day for the 5th Midwest Meet & Greet. Will be lots of good folks there & way too much fun than is probably allowed.

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:

Sir, that is 4:30 AM, and I made the coffee!:action::action:

I was curious Gene, what you were doing sleeping in til 5:30?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.