Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I hate helmets. I'm shopping for the right one, but I'm damn picky so help and advice is needed. $$ are not the main consideration but I prefer under $500. Not that I would not spend $600 if the helmet was the right one.

I like full face helmets for highway protection, but I can's seem to find one that fits well and will slip over my glasses as well. I also have a need for sunglasses and right now I use the slip overs (needing some room in that helmet).

I don't like the noise in most helmets. I prefer the wind and sound without a helmet at all, but, I'd like to find the right helmet that would be fairly quiet.

The modular helmets, where the whole jaw opens, seem to have the room for my glasses. Are they any good?

Bombardier has an interesting helmet with a built in sun visor that I thought might be nice, but I'm not sure of the quality. We have a very limited selection in town so I'm likely stuck ordering online. That sucks even more.

So, you hat wearers, I could use some sound advice on choosing the right helmet. It's not that easy. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

Schuberth J1

This is the one my wife and I use. I think they are on sale in the US. Has a sun visor. What I like about it is the wide angle of view.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

Every helmet I have ever bought has started out being "too snug" and then has broken in to fit just right.

I wear a Full Face Shoei RF-900 and I too wear glasses. I just gotta take my glasses off, put the helmet on, and then put my glasses back on.

(the reverse order when I remove my helmet)

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

cymru wrote:
Schuberth J1

This is the one my wife and I use. I think they are on sale in the US. Has a sun visor. What I like about it is the wide angle of view.
That looks interesting. I'm thinking of a little more chin protection though. I have a half face helmet now, a Bell. It's awful noisy down the highway. There is so much wind that gets up under the thing.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

norton wrote:
Every helmet I have ever bought has started out being "too snug" and then has broken in to fit just right.

I wear a Full Face Shoei RF-900 and I too wear glasses. I just gotta take my glasses off, put the helmet on, and then put my glasses back on.

(the reverse order when I remove my helmet)
The Shoei is actually one I've been looking for in town - no luck. I read good things on how quiet the TZ-R is at $350. I hate to order one I can't try on first but I may be stuck with that problem. Then there's the need for sunglasses. I suppose I could get prescription sun glasses because I'd never get my slip overs inside that full face thing.

I wonder if I can get used to the small range of vision. I guess time would tell that.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

I dont have any problems with the range of vision with mine, I can see out of it just fine.

I have prescription sunglasses and a clear face shield. During the day I wear the sunglasses, at night I wear my regular ones.

People say that you either have a Shoei or Arai shaped head, one or the other. Scorpion makes some nice helmets.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,798 Posts
imported post

`
I've been using the HJC flip front full face, and it stayed locked in my bad accident last year.

My son has a full face that does not flip. Hard for me to get it on, and the restricted side vision worries me. The side vision is almost 180 degrees, but I normally can see about 270 degrees w/o a helmet.

I want the chin protection, but I also want as much side/rear vision as I can obtain with a helmet.
:madeyes::madeyes:

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

I was at a Triumph shop a few decades ago and I overheard this.

Lady asked:"Do you have theperfect helmet?"
Salesman:"We do, ifyou have the perfect head."
She didn't like that answer & walked out. :walker:

She wasn't blond but was wearing a whole new outfit of summer leathers.

:headbanger:Just can't please everyone I guess. :baffled:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

norton wrote:
I dont have any problems with the range of vision with mine, I can see out of it just fine.

I have prescription sunglasses and a clear face shield. During the day I wear the sunglasses, at night I wear my regular ones.

People say that you either have a Shoei or Arai shaped head, one or the other. Scorpion makes some nice helmets.
I tried some Arai helmets at a local store. Can't say I liked or did not like the feel of those. It's something new to me. I like the reviews I've read about the Shoei. I wonder if I ordered online and I hated it, if the company would do an exchange for me. Guess I can ask.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
`
I've been using the HJC flip front full face, and it stayed locked in my bad accident last year.

My son has a full face that does not flip. Hard for me to get it on, and the restricted side vision worries me. The side vision is almost 180 degrees, but I normally can see about 270 degrees w/o a helmet.

I want the chin protection, but I also want as much side/rear vision as I can obtain with a helmet.
:madeyes::madeyes:
The vision thing is an issue. My son tells me you get used to it, but I like to be able to "catch" things out of the corner of my eye. I think my local Honda dealer has HJC. I'll have to get over there tomorrow and have a look.

·
Premium Member
64,639 Posts
imported post

Bbach
To get around the visor thing, make your own..
Put on any helmet, put down the visor.. Look out the top and take your finger and mark a spot on the outside that you can see out of and is not in your view plan.. Take off the helmet and take some black electrical tape and stick it on the visor from your finger mark up.. put the helmet on and take a look or take a ride, you may want to adjust the tape up or down.. After you get it where you like, mark it and mask it off and spray it with flat black paint.. It works like you were wearing a ball cap or put your hand up to shade your eyes.................

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

I simply use electricle tape on the inside. Can pull off if needed. It also comes in a rainbow ofcolors, not seen pink yet.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Bbach
Put on any helmet, put down the visor.. Look out the top and take your finger and mark a spot on the outside that you can see out of and is not in your view plan.. Take off the helmet and take some black electrical tape and stick it on the visor from your finger mark up.. put the helmet on and take a look or take a ride, you may want to adjust the tape up or down.. After you get it where you like, mark it and mask it off and spray it with flat black paint.. It works like you were wearing a ball cap or put your hand up to shade your eyes.................
Interesting idea Foodman. I would imagine that method would be most effective when the sun is high and not so effective when riding into a low sun?

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I have used the GMax modular for over a year now and really like it (http://www.g-max.com/gmax/gm44s.html) I also have a GMax 3/4 that I like also. both have room for headsets and a lot of nice feture like ventalation and removable liners and cheek pads. I got them online for great prices all under $100. a friend at work has the full face with the rear LEDs and wears it every day. He loves it and said he paid just $125.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
imported post

I have the Hawk modular helmet that I picked up from Leatherup.com here while back. I got one for me and my wife for less than $250.

·
Premium Member
64,639 Posts
imported post

bbach wrote:
Foodman wrote:
Bbach
Interesting idea Foodman. I would imagine that method would be most effective when the sun is high and not so effective when riding into a low sun?
It's most effective when the sun is low.. Most of my rides in the morning are east dead into the sun and when I'm heading home same thing.. That's where it's best.. Try it, all you can waste is a little tape...........:action:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.