Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

interesting article with a few exagerations. having done human antomy, the brain is not goo or jello, but yes, bouncing around in your hard skull is a bad idea.

probably any straight on impact at speed is going to kill you in any helmet

and.... figure that the quadracycle NEVER sees you, and it don't do you no good to be dead right

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I read it when it came out. Pretty much blows the Snell certification out of the water! Funny that in 99 percent of accidents a cheapo $80 helmet has better protection than a $500 Snell-approved lid.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

I haven't read the article, but have an anecdote. When I went helmet shopping last year after getting my "Wing, a few places were sort of pushing the whole Snell rated helmet thing. I finally asked the salesman at the fourth place, "Okay, I give...what's the difference between plain old DOT and Snell ratings?" He told me, "The Snell rated helmets are designed to better withstand fire." He looked at me in almost total disbelief when I replied, "Buddy, if I'm ever in a wreck where my head is on fire, chances are I have bigger problems than my helmet." :)

Jack

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
I haven't read the article, but have an anecdote. When I went helmet shopping last year after getting my "Wing, a few places were sort of pushing the whole Snell rated helmet thing. I finally asked the salesman at the fourth place, "Okay, I give...what's the difference between plain old DOT and Snell ratings?" He told me, "The Snell rated helmets are designed to better withstand fire." He looked at me in almost total disbelief when I replied, "Buddy, if I'm ever in a wreck where my head is on fire, chances are I have bigger problems than my helmet." :)

Jack
That's pretty funny. Shows how little the average store clerk actually knows about his products.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Great read, Ken. You can't know too much about safety items. I was particularly fascinated by the debate between Snell and most other experts. I don't want any extra Gs scramblin' the old grey matter.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Good reading Ken. I havethree friends whoare wearing skull cap type helmets from the seventies that no one approved. There could not be over 1/2 inch of padding in this "helmet". :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

In deed, good information.

Now have we all learned that no helmet can protect us from all foreseeable accidents.

Look hard at the tests, see things like "an eight pound object from 10 feet"

What all this means is that a helmet, no matter what the safety rating will protect from a good "Bump", they are also handy for preventing abrasions (in the area they cover, FF vs OF), but they are totally useless in an accident where you suddenly stop, i.e. hit a barrier or auto.

If we are serious about safety, contact your local government about making the roadways safe for cyclists, remove roadside barriers etc.

By the way, in my state it's a free choice, but I always wear a helmet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.