Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Well I finally found a wing that looked fairly good. It started up and ran pretty good for a few minutes and the temperature gage was 4-5 bars. No water in the oil that I could see and was told the stator was recently changed. I for got to check antifreeze. Big mistake. Bought the bike home and drained the old gas out. Put new in with a little seafoam. Now I get the bright idea to check antifreeze but its to late. Put some in the reserve tank and start the motor. With in a minute antifreeze is running out on the floor from under the left cylinder head and the steam is flying. Leaking head gasket and right away temperature gage goes to 7 bars. I may hit a couple of bars tonight???
Point is, never trust anyone when buying something used regardless of how good they say it is. So now I have a head gasket to replace, and after talking to my mechanic, he says the block surface could be pitted since it is an older bike. Now won't that be fun trying to find a block or another motor. Feel like striking a match to it or running it in the lake. It's all my fault for taking to much for granted so if you are looking to buy used heed all the advice given on this fourm. Got to wait a month for the mechanic to get time to look things over. Bye the way its a 1984 Aspencade 1200 that really looks fairly good.
Should have been satisfied with just my vtx but I can chalk this one up for experience I guess. Maybe it will work out in the long run. What a day!

oldmanonavtx

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Wouldn't be too concerned about the block.Lots of people have gotten away with just gaskets.The general consensus is to not to buy cheap gaskets.Good idea to get the head checked for surface flatness.You should do both gaskets as well while you are in there.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi oldman look on the bright side what ever is wrong it can be fixed and you will have one hell of a bike afterwards

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Changing out a head gasket isn't a difficult job and doesn't take long. That said have you checked carefully to make sure it isn't one of the coolant tubes on top of the engine that's leaking? Or one of the elbow where the coolant tube connects to the head? It's pretty unusual for a head gasket failure to dump coolant, usually a leak there shows up with coolant in the cylinders and oil sump and is evinced by white smoke from the tail pipe, bubbles in the radiator neck when the engine is running or cross contaminated coolant and oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.