Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Yes, it’s all true. Well, it kind of depends on your bike. Some motorcycles with great big flywheels and big gears, like many Harleys and some BMW Boxers, need the clutch – or at least a little clutch – for nearly every shift. Most sportbikes only need you to use the clutch to pull away from stops and for the shift from first to second gear.

At slow, around-town speeds, we mostly use at least a little clutch to shift anyway; you don’t need to pull the lever all the way in every time you use it. But if you’re steadily accelerating, and especially at WOT (wide open throttle), you’ll find that after second gear, if you roll the throttle closed just enough to unload the driveline, for just a split second, with your toe pressing on the lever, then third gear will slip right in without using the clutch at all. Fourth, 5th and 6th will slip in even easier since the gaps between them are increasingly smaller. Done smoothly, it’s no harder on your gearbox than using the clutch.
Read more about Ask MO Anything: Is Clutchless Shifting Bad For My Transmission? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Administrator
24,844 Posts
When did Honda come out with a goldwing that has a 6th gear?
He didn't mention goldwings, just most bikes have 6 speeds, especially ones that don't have the kind of torque the wing has. I shift without the clutch sometimes, but like mentioned 1st to 2nd is difficult without some gnashing and downshifting is tricky.

·
Administrator
24,844 Posts
yeah,
the 1500 and 1800 have way too much torque to make a habit out of clutchless shifting.

And a big diesel simi-truck don't?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
We shift big trucks back into neutral before selecting the next gear and no synchronizes in the transmission.

·
Administrator
24,844 Posts
We shift big trucks back into neutral before selecting the next gear and no synchronizes in the transmission.
So? And point me to the synchros in a motorcycle transmission.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I can’t answer that Dave BUT the bike can be shifted into 1st gear at any speed and a semi can’t be,at any time there’s only one gear that a semi transmission can be shifted into,the other 17 can’t be shifted into until the rpm and speed match .Explain why the bike transmission can be downshifted into any gear at any speed?

·
Administrator
24,844 Posts
I can’t answer that Dave BUT the bike can be shifted into 1st gear at any speed and a semi can’t be,at any time there’s only one gear that a semi transmission can be shifted into,the other 17 can’t be shifted into until the rpm and speed match .Explain why the bike transmission can be downshifted into any gear at any speed?
Probably someone else could explain that better than me.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sequential_manual_transmission,clutch less shifting would be less damaging with this transmission compared to others since the gears aren’t directly involved in the shifting process,just the shifting dogs entering inside the gears

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Sequential_manual_transmission,clutch less shifting would be less damaging with this transmission compared to others since the gears aren’t directly involved in the shifting process,just the shifting dogs entering inside the gears
Other than the size of the dogs this differs from an automotive transmission how?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Big truck doesn’t shift with dogs,it shifts similar but instead of the dogs on the shifter gear there’s splines that slide inside the driven gear,I suspect 600 hp might break off a dog type gear.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Big truck doesn’t shift with dogs,it shifts similar but instead of the dogs on the shifter gear there’s splines that slide inside the driven gear,I suspect 600 hp might break off a dog type gear.
To me those so called splines look like itsy bitsy dogs.:surprise:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
To me those so called splines look like itsy bitsy dogs.:surprise:
How many you seen,they look to me like a crosstie but smaller.👍

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,042 Posts
The transmission needs to be unloaded to change gears. Before modern manufacturing allowed for tighter shifting bike transmissions, racers used a kill button to unload the transmission. I just do not accept the fact that shifting without using the clutch does no harm.

·
Administrator
24,844 Posts
Other than the size of the dogs this differs from an automotive transmission how?
Automotive transmissions do not use dogs, they use synchronizers.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The transmission needs to be unloaded to change gears. Before modern manufacturing allowed for tighter shifting bike transmissions, racers used a kill button to unload the transmission. I just do not accept the fact that shifting without using the clutch does no harm.
Racers don’t care about damaging the transmissions,the motors gear torn down often,when I raced and on the starting line we never used the clutch for anything except in the pits,when the green flag dropped just slam it into first,I never had a broken tranny,LUCKY? [email protected]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts