Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
26,149 Posts
Racers don’t care about damaging the transmissions,the motors gear torn down often,when I raced and on the starting line we never used the clutch for anything except in the pits,when the green flag dropped just slam it into first,I never had a broken tranny,LUCKY? [email protected]
I rode my first motorcycle, a 150 dream, for some time with a broken clutch cable, couldn't afford one. Never had a problem with it, just get it rolling and put it in gear then shift like normal. Had to show a guy how to do it a year or so ago, he brought a truck out for me to work on and hauled a dual sport to ride home and broke the cable leaving my house.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Back in the 70s I rode a 500 H1 Kawasaki,it sat outside at work in the rain and when I started home,the temperature had dropped to below freezing and the water that egressed into the clutch cable froze the cable up,had to do the same as you Dave,it thawed out in the garage that night so I fixed it so water wouldn’t get in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Auto and bike transmissions are very different animals. The gears are cut different and as noted the do engage gears not dogs. Snychros are there to speed match the gears getting ready to engage. Anyone who drove a manual and tryed to downshift into to low a gear has experienced synchros at work. It won;t go in at first then slips in with no clashing. There are all sort of things done to make these transmission shift faster and one technique is to replace the synchros with "dogs".

Bottom line is if you match the engine to the gear you don't need a clutch. You can do this in trucks, cars, bikes, anything really if it goes in smooth with no grind it's perfectly fine.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts