Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what's the big a$$ difference, my kind've, '82 GL1100 calls for a 90 aspect ratio on the front and the best tire I ever had, (Michelin Commander II, on the back) has just finally just come up with a front tire for an 18" front wheel, but only in an aspect ratio of 70 degrees.

So what's this tire gonna do to my bikes handling, I have a Contiental supertwin on there now but I don't like it at all.

If I buy it, what can I expect???.................Just asking!

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
The aspect ratio is not in degrees, it is the percentage of the height to the width. It would throw the speedometer off considerably but you would just have to try it to know what it does to the handling.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
As was said, the aspect ratio is basically the height of the sidewall, or the difference between the inside and outside diameters of the tire. A mounted 70 series tire will be noticeably smaller in overall diameter than a 90. I personally would not go that small, especially in the front. Many sportbikes have very low profile tires, but the Goldwing was designed to handle best with the stock size tire, and that is what I would use. You could wind up finding out what the difference is the hard way.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,276 Posts
The tire is shorter is the basic difference. Aspect ratio is the height of the sidewall expressed as a percentage of the tire width at its widest point. When you drop in ratio percentage, the tire tends to be more 'square' shaped. Compare a truck tire at say 235/75 and a lower profile 235/50 for example. They are the same measured width at the tires widest point, but the taller tire will look less 'squared'. One reason I prefer the Austone over the 60-series tire options for 1500 darksiding.

On the front of the bike it will throw off the speedometer (more tire rpm's for a given ground speed) and the 'squarer' tire may affect how easily you turn/shift weight for cornering. It will be up to you weather you like it or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.