Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The Jardine slip-on muflers I currently have on my 1984 GL1200 Aspencade are just about burned out. Even when new, they are too noisy to warrant replacementwith the same make and the factory system is far too pricey and heavy. Does anyone have any suggestions as to alternatives? I've found a website in Holland for Laser-Jama and while their system would seem to fit the bill, both Canadian distributors have stopped carrying the line and Laser has yet to answer my enquiries.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Keep an eye on E-Bay... I've seenoem mufflerssold there for as little as $137.00 U.S. (used of course).Some in very, verygood condition are approximately 1/2 the price of new oem. Also, check back into the archives here on this site for links to dissassemblers (salvage yards) and aftermarket web sites that will carry them.

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I must admit I bought a used system last winter off e-bay for $230 Cdn. Looked really good in the picture but when it arrived, it was a disaster! 1" rust holes which were not shown. I think I'd rather spring for a new system from a reputable supplier.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Hi Vic, that's certainly a great looking set of pipes you made. Very nice work altogether and I bet it cost way less than buying a set from mother Honda!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Goldwinger84:

Pretty impressive. Wish I had that kind of skill. How would you like to build me a set with baffles?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Brilliant stuff Vic, who says owning an old Goldwing costs a fortune when guys like you use a bit of ingenuity!

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Thank you for the kind words. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Had some health problems and just starting to catch up with life again.

Vic
I know how you feel Vic. I'm still doing physio after my accident but I expect to be able to ride my new Wing around Christmas. Went to a meet in Boston last weekend and threw my leg over one and also rode pillion for a few miles before my hip got a bit sore, but I'm getting there.
Heres wishing you a fast recovery. :waving:

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hope you guys get fully better soon. Your input here is always very helpful.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Thank you Eamon 1200, very kind of you.

Keener, give me a bit of time and I may be able to build a few of those stainless exhaust systems once I'm back on my feet. Let me know exactly where your pipes are rusted outand I'll tell you what I can do to help repair them.

Vic

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Vic: Your offer is greatly appreciated but it's not a rust problem,it'snoise aggravation. Mygoal is to replace the Jardines with something that's as near to the stock sound level as possible while trying to avoid the weight of a factory system. Besides, once you're fully recovered, you should spend your time riding. Get better soon and thanks again for the offer.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the kind words Keener.

I'm a wrench/motorhead(since I was 6 years old now 50), so it's almost as pleasurable to be working on a Gold Wing as it is to be riding one believe it or not.

I could actually make the exhaust quieter than stock if that's what you wanted, although you would lose some top end performance. I'll be doing some experimenting with different types of mufflers and will let you know what I come up with and possibly have some different sound bytes available to listen to. Most likely won't happen until next year though, but, will post when I have some results available.

Vic

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Goldwinger1984 wrote:
Thanks for the kind words Keener.

I'm a wrench/motorhead(since I was 6 years old now 50), so it's almost as pleasurable to be working on a Gold Wing as it is to be riding one believe it or not.
Hey Goldwinger1984, :waving: I would like to join with the rest of the gang and wish you a speedy recovery. :clapper:

:coollep::18red::coollep:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Hi fellow Wingers.

:waving:

I'm a new owner of an 81 Interstate and have been doing quite a bit of reading on every site I can find. Getting up to date on a 24 year old bike is time consuming but it has been fun. I posted here because exhaust/mufflers is the search I performed.......see......the Wang is tooooooooo quiet for my liking. I've always been one to remove a baffle, run duals, or back in the day remove mufflers all together and run what was called a "shorty pipe", this I did on my old CB350. Anyway.......if I keep the stock exhaust but want to remove the baffles, how difficult is this to do? I drilled the rivet yesterday and gave it a tug but she ain't movin'.......another thought was to come from the end of the muffler and give it a 45 degree cut but that will destroy a perfect exhaust system and hurt resale if I ever decide to move up to a newer model.

Great site and I look forward to a lot more reading!

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

The baffle will come out, but, most likely there's rust inside that's got it glued in place.

I suggest using a metal plate on the end of the baffle to knock it in then use a slide hammer, with washers on the end, to pull and knock it out from the inside. Just keep working it back and forth slowly, a millimeter at a time and eventually it will come out.

If your gentle enough you should be able to reuse the baffle if it's not too rusty.

Vic

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

How much louder are they without the baffle? I don't want excessive noise but want to hear the pipes.
I'll see if I can manufacture a slide.

Thanks

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

It's hard to make a Gold Wing really loud, but, without the baffles it's definetely a lot louder than stock at cruising speeds. The sound is extremely sweet and mellow at that speed if you love nice engine sounds, but, you may want to consider earplugs for really long trips or use a baffle for those occasions.

At idle speeds it's not very loud without the baffles so you can still sneak around the neighborhood without waking everyone.

Vic

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Just what I'm lookin' for!!!!

Now.........I have to get the rusted things out!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've got Jardines on my bike and really like the sound. I don't find them too loud at all and they have a real nice mellow sound, really nice when wound up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.