Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I am fairly new to Goldwings, but not new to motorcycles in general. Never having experienced air suspension before, I have the following questions.

1. The handbook states acceptable pressure for the front forks as 0 [zero] to 6psi. If zero psi is ok, why have air at all?
With oil damping, I cannot see the point of it.

2. If the air pressure was wrongly increased to way above 6psi, for example 20psi, would the increased pressure cause oil to get past the oil seals? The seals in my Aspy were renewed 300 miles ago, but I see seepage round the dust covers

Many thanks for any information

Kind Regards

Alan

1984 Goldwing Aspencade GL1200 [built in USA, but now a British citizen]

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys
Many thanks for your replies. I am starting to understand a bit more about the air ride system.

I have some repair bills from the previous owner, and there seems to be a trend towards failing fork seals,
IE: l/h seal replaced at 37885 miles, r/h seal and bush replaced at 43035 miles, seals and bushes replaced at 45824 miles. Not what I would have expected from Honda.

Last October, new fork bushes for the UK mot test. I had noted seepage a short time prior to the test. now, 300 miles later, guess what? seepage again from the l/h seal, just over 53k miles.

I think Dave O430 could be right, there may well be damage on the leg. I have made myself a tool for assistance in removing the forks, so I will be doing my own overhaul when the time comes.

I had to have a local shop change the bushes, and was somewhat suprised when they told me they could not operate the compressor. I had to show them how. Ok, so there's not many wings around here, but I do not know what pressure was applied.

This is the root cause of my original question aboot the fork pressure. My wing has the LCD display, with fuel/temperature etc shown in bars. 1 or 2 bars being the level for the forks. Problem is, I cannot see how the pressure can be set or checked with any precision using such a gage. The thing being, whatever pressure is applied, is in addition to existing atmospheric pressure within the fork, and trying to think out what if happening pressure-wise inside the forks when riding makes my brain hurt

Thanks again for the information, very much appreciated. If I come across anything interesting I'll let you know ...

Kindest regards to you all

Alan

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Following on from my previous posts, I can now aks the question 'Does oil flow uphill?'
I have raised the front of the wing on a screw jack, so that the front wheel is a few millimeters off the ground, so that the forks are fully extended, and I have released the air pressure from the front forks, but the oil keeps leaking.
I raised the dust seal, to find the void space below was full of what appears to be tranny fluid, which was dribbling over the edge and running down the fork leg.
I drained this out with a syringe and kitchen roll, till the void space was as clean and as dry as I could get it.
Next day the void space was full again, so my question is as above, how is the void space filling up?
I suppose the next step is to drain the forks, then investigate the source of the leak.

By the way, has anyone ever sucessfully sealed the sightglass on the front brake reservoir. seepage from there too!
Happy Days

Kind Regards

Alan

·
Registered
1984 GL1200 A
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys
thank you for you continuing replies.
latest update:
yesterday I drained both fork legs, and trialled my 'device for removing the fork caps without getting hit in the head.' a bit fiddly to start, but once I had worked out the technique, it eas easy, with very little effort. will be equally easy to replace them.
As the first cap broke seal, I heard air hissing out, even though I had released all the air, [ or so I thought ]. That might explain the continued oil seepage. It certainly tells me that the air gage is not very accurate.
I have replaced the l/hand caliper seals, and want to fix the sight glass leak before proceeding further. Still waiting on fork seals.
Brianlj, I will give Phillpots a look-see. Hopefully I will not need to go to that extreme, but they are worth knowing about.

More Later
Kind Regards
Alan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts