Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vagaries of the Internet World for those of us who live in remote regions is an ongoing painful experience.

I have been using AT&T LTE Wireless with a LTE modem, and getting fairly good service. 98% of the time.

Last night, at 11:59 PM or Midnight effectively, Dec 31st..... the connection to the outside world just disappeared.

After going through several steps of verifying payment was made, so what?

Our cellphones are on Verizon so I turned on the Hotspot on my phone.

then logging into the service provider for AT&T and noting that it said "Unlimited Plan Retired" I get into along trial of trying to figure out what happened.

My plan is through a friend of my son up in Dayton, Ohio.
So, I called PJ and asked if he can contact "Dwayne" and ask what happened to AT&T?

He calls me back a while later, and Dwayne tells PJ/me that AT&T is in a battle with their sub-contractors and just arbitrarily turned OFF all Simcards in one fell swoop.... forcing the sub-contractors to a bargaining table.

Dwayne says nothing will be done until the end of February, so I am trying to figure out how to get Internet going again w/o using Verizon who is extremely Non-competitive.... rates are horrible.

Gawd but I wish we have Fiber Cable here in Oologah..... this crap of having to use a Wireless provider is a Pig Pen of constant upheaval.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
862 Posts
John, I feel for ya.

You might be able to get Space-X's "Starlink" service later when they get some more of their low-orbit birds in the sky.

They are already doing Beta installations in Washington state, and preliminary results are good, 10-150ms pings and likewise 10-60Mb speeds, variable now due to the sparse number of birds. this will only get better with more birds and more uplink stations. Think their planned price point is in the neighborhood of $100/mo I believe.

Expanded beta testing coming this month.

But the speeds and pings are much better than the geostationary satellite services, their pings are on the order of 600ms. Think you tried satellite IP some time back, no?

Coverage isn't good enough for more southern latitudes yet, So far they only have 600 of these birds in the sky. SpaceX has FCC permission for 12,000 satellites..

But something to keep your eye on.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been watching that situation like a hawk, as of now, there just isn't enough birds in the sky.

I checked with T-Mobile and they are offering $50/month unlimited bandwidth and no caps or equipment costs.

as I already have a Netgear MR-1100 Nighthawk LTE modem, I am going to take a drive down to Owasso tmw and get them to plug in a Simcard.... that modem was on TM when I first bought it, so I know that it should work.

I have diversity antennas at 20 ft above ground, am hoping that will give me a good enough signal to use TM>
they don't have a tower in our immediate area.

what I like about TM, is they do not throttle upload speeds, whereas AT&T throttles you to 8% of the download speed... and that just is not right.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Been thinking about getting an LTE Wifi Hotspot for when we are camping, but I'd have to find a provider that would let me buy only 30 day of service, then shut it off until we wanted to use it again. Sprint used to do that, hard to say now since acquired by TM. Think CriKet does that, too, but their coverage is horrible, Deb has a CriKet phone which often doesn't have service when we are traveling.

We had one at work years back, I took it with me on vacation one year. In the middle of Minnesota I pulled over off the freeway at the appropriate time, fired it and a laptop up and connected the headphone jack of the Laptop to the car stereo's line-in jack. With the Laptop logged in to the 850 KOA radio website we were able to listen to the Denver Broncos game going down the freeway in Minnesota. More recently we were leaving town and the game was on, we listened to it on the car radio until we were way out in Eastern Colorado and got out of range of the radio station. I pulled over to try to get the game on my iPhone. KOA is an iHeart Radio affiliate, but iHeart blocks the NFL broadcasts. So I tried the KOA website directly. That would've worked if I was logging in from a computer, but the website detected the phone browser and wouldn't stream the game audio.

Disappointed, we continued on our way. Stopped in the next little town and found a Tavern, ordered some sandwiches and watched the rest of the game on the Tavern's TV...

So need a hotspot. Can do a lot of things on a phone, but some things just cannot do!

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
Not a lot different than Comcast. They are restricting their data to 1 terabyte. Not a real problem for most people, but just another ploy you get you to pay extra. This will hurt businesses more than the general public.
I've also noticed my internet speed has fallen recently. I think it has something to do with Comcast giving "poor" people high speed access for FREE. That and the fact that their network is overloaded. I am on a node that is supposed to have no more then 16 households connected. I had Comcast here and the tech told me that my node had at least 30 people connected.
They are raising my total bill about 20% with no real explanation. Plus, they have no plans to update the system in our area. It is probably 20 years old and nothing has ever been done to it.
They have eliminated some tv channels and tell me that they cannot come to an agreement with these broadcast companies. I think that more and more people are using streaming services and it's putting a real hurt on Comcast.
They still want their multi-million $ profits, so they just increase the rates!
Just call them and get connected to someone offshore that has no idea what's going on.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I've had Comcast for years, and the last 4 yrs they've been raising the $ like crazy, I had been jumping between promotional packages to keep the $ down. Didn't need or want phone or TV service, just internet, but the current package included phone. As it turned out I needed that for "Work from Home". 200Mb Download but only 6Mb upload speed. At least in my area the speeds were consistent.

In 2019 CenturyLink started stringing Fiber in my neighborhood, and last spring they finally put light in the fiber. So in Nov when my 2-yr contract with Comcast expired I had CenturyLink run a piece of fiber to my house. Free installation, Free Modem, Free Router, $93/mo for symmetrical Gb service (940 down/940 upload) plus a phone line. Same price I was paying for the Comcast service, better speeds and no data cap. And "Price for Life", so they say.

Comcast also offers symmetrical Gigabit over cable in my neighborhood, but to get those speeds it's something like $300/mo. No Way.

So I happily returned the cable modem to the Comcast store and cancelled service. Just in time, too, because a couple days later I got what would have been the December bill, it had gone up another 20 bucks!

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
528 Posts
Our problem is that Comcast has our area locked up. We cannot get any other service except for DSL.
Fios is available near us but not where I am at. I think they have an agreement with our municipality.
Another provider had tried to get in but was turned down. Can you say monopoly!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upside:
T-Mobile simcard inserted, and I am now up and running on T-Mobile.
the speeds are not good yet, not sure why??

2 years ago, I had a T-Mobile sim in a different modem, and it was very fast, at least 25Mbps or more IIRC, but that is 2 years ago.

·
Magic Moderator
4,633 Posts
I have Sprint and I understand they were taken over by T-Mobile and I have to give them a C when it comes to service, but what can I expect for $15.00 a month for unlimited service. Its an internet hot spot for low income individuals, you buy the hot spot for $85.00 and pay $15.00/month for the service.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,
with AT&T in the wee hours I could get some really decent speeds, but I am not seeing that right now.
This Pix shows one good report from AT&T and then one or two with Verizon.
I'm in a low spot for Verizon so my phone is only getting 1 bar right now.

The LTE modem is using an External Antenna mounted on the roof of the house, at about 20 ft above ground.
I need to get a picture of where the TM towers are located, I meant to do that when I was in town, but the sole counter guy was swamped with people.... he was bouncing from desk to desk with folks, get one to decide on something and he jumped to the next desk and help someone else. Thought he was doing a pretty good job.

Here is Verizon again from my cellphone Hotspot..... It peaked up at 25+Mbps and then as it progressed it throttled down to the result shown..... VZW is the best for me, but their Prices are absolutely Atrocious.
IF, they would give me a decent LTE price, I would get a SIM for the modem on VZW, but they won't let me do that. I would have to go to an Outside sub-contractor and pay exhorbitant fees to them to ride back on VZW.

VZW's charges for anything with a decent amount of gB/month costs more than my phone bill does now at $78/month..... for VZW, I have it on the smallest plan available at 2gB/month.... which is more than adequate for us in normal use: meaning only when we are away from home.

At home, we use the LTE modem which was AT&T and is now Tmobile.
I plan to raise the LTE's antenna to the top of the Chimney as we never, ever, have a fire in the fireplace. It is Natural Gas and we tired it a couple of time during a winter, and it is NOT efficient at all.... as a fireplace has to have Fresh Air to burn the flames, it needs outside air, and sucking in Outside air at Zero Degrees is a NO NO.

The HVAC is also Natural Gas, but it works differently in that it is out in the garage and gets it air from there, and exhausts through a stove pipe type vent to the roof. Then the Hot Air is ducted to each room in the house.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Apparently living in Oologah you have lost your history. Get those smoke signals working again and all will be well.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently living in Oologah you have lost your history. Get those smoke signals working again and all will be well.
I just viewed the history post again, it is still there.

More on the saga though, it seems that the existing Netgear MR1100 LTE modem I have, was crafted specifically for the AT&T channels. When I got home from the T-Mobile store and fired it up here, it would on work on one (1) channel only, B2 which is low capacity channel limited to 5Mbps downloads.

Went back to the TM store today and after a bit of discussion and seeing what the issues are, decided to buy their 5g LTE modem which should vastly improve the download speeds. No stock in the store, so it is being shipped out from the TM warehouse in TimBuckTu.... be a few days or a week or 10 before USPS delivers it to me.

They gave me a 50% discount on their modem, as I am a First Time customer with them.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
The vagaries of the Internet World for those of us who live in remote regions is an ongoing painful experience.

I have been using AT&T LTE Wireless with a LTE modem, and getting fairly good service. 98% of the time.

Last night, at 11:59 PM or Midnight effectively, Dec 31st..... the connection to the outside world just disappeared.

After going through several steps of verifying payment was made, so what?

Our cellphones are on Verizon so I turned on the Hotspot on my phone.

then logging into the service provider for AT&T and noting that it said "Unlimited Plan Retired" I get into along trial of trying to figure out what happened.

My plan is through a friend of my son up in Dayton, Ohio.
So, I called PJ and asked if he can contact "Dwayne" and ask what happened to AT&T?

He calls me back a while later, and Dwayne tells PJ/me that AT&T is in a battle with their sub-contractors and just arbitrarily turned OFF all Simcards in one fell swoop.... forcing the sub-contractors to a bargaining table.

Dwayne says nothing will be done until the end of February, so I am trying to figure out how to get Internet going again w/o using Verizon who is extremely Non-competitive.... rates are horrible.

Gawd but I wish we have Fiber Cable here in Oologah..... this crap of having to use a Wireless provider is a Pig Pen of constant upheaval.

You could switch your phone service to Total Wireless and then use the included hotspot function from your phone. Total uses Verizon’s network for coverage and are cheaper than most for plans, especially multi line plans.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
I have metro pcs here in ok. cheap hotspot available. T-mobile owns them.
also avail in denver

·
Registered
862 Posts
also avail in denver
Think that might be a reference to my earlier post about wanting a hotspot I could leave mostly deactivated but buy a month of service from time to time.

Don't need it to work in Denver, it would be used while out of town (or out of state) camping. Want it to work in kinda remote places, so a major carrier would be needed. Doesn't have to be super fast, either, but would like to be able to support at least a solid SD 480i video stream. Reasonable quality 5Mb download speed is enuf for even a medium quality HD video stream. Don't want the data capped so badly they cut me off in the middle of the second day's morning news broadcast, either, if you know what I mean.... 😁

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could switch your phone service to Total Wireless and then use the included hotspot function from your phone. Total uses Verizon’s network for coverage and are cheaper than most for plans, especially multi line plans.
I've been with Verizon for more than 20 years, they have been good to me. Always dependable, but their Plan costs are the pits, no where near competitive.

a Hotspot won't do what we need, we need to have a good strong WiFi router that can punch out a BIG signal and the Netgear AC-1000 does that.... but for that to work, you have to have a LAN connection to it.
( the WiFi router is serving the Smart TV for Netflix, Hulu, etc..... it is pushing out 4 LAN ports to stuff in the house, and the WiFi is strong enough I can go outside the house for about 150 feet and still use the WiFi for Internet service. )
a Cellphone's Hotspot can't put out that kind of signal, and when the Hotspot is being used, the Battery in the Phone depletes FAST!!! we found that out this past weekend when we had to fall back to the Verizon cellphones Hotspot for our Internet service. I just looked at the InseeGo modem which I just got in service today at 12 noon, we have gone through
2.47 GB data used since that time, it is now 11:15 PM and that does not include my daughter getting on Netflix when she goes to bed.

I have ordered up the T-Mobile "AT HOME" package. Totally Unlimited bandwidth, have a 5g LTE modem, plus an internal WiFi router, plus it has a LAN port on it that I can use to drive the Netgear WiFi router.

The T-Mobile modem I have now is manufactured by InseeGo, they are sold for all of the carriers today that are going to 5g. It is a good modem, but the internal WiFi signal Strength is no where near as strong as the Netgear AC-1000.

TM's service plan is $50/month for either the InseeGo travel modem, or the "At Home" setup.
No one can beat that price today.

I was paying $60/month for AT&T and getting really good service, but AT&T craps on their sub-contractors with regularity and arbitrarily voids the contracts, shuts down all of the SIMs nation-wide and doesn't even care about the customers.... AT&T is a shark, and I will never go back to them.

As of today, AT&T has more towers than T-Mobile, but TM is adding more all the time.
Eventually they will have comparable coverage to Verizon and AT&T.

I just took a look at Total Wireless, and their service plan would only last me Two (2) days and it would drop back to 2g speeds, Verizon does not offer 2g or 3g anymore, they discontinued both of those carrier frequencies in the last six months..... I know that for a fact as we have a Verizon Network Extender in the house, because the VZW tower does not punch into our home good enough for reliable coverage.... that Extender was on 3g and suddenly it just stopped working. gone gone

so, I called up Verizon Customer Service and asked "what is wrong" and they told me that my Extender is on 3g and the turned off 3g in Oklahoma in one fell swoop, and will be doing so Nation-Wide within a few weeks.
at the end of our conversation, they agreed to provide me with a replacement 4g Extender for free, so we now have Verizon coverage inside our home again.

Actually, VZW's tower does kind of give us service in the house, but it is only 1 bar of signal, and if you get up and walk around, the phone call drops out. that is why I got a Network Extender.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, I forgot to mention that in the two days of us using the Verzion Hotspot for internet, we blew completely through the 3.5gB of data that I had left for this month, and that does not renew until the 25th of each month.
and that was with us totally avoiding any Video stuff.

I forgot to include the picture of Total Wireless Data plan

As you can see, that 5gB of data would not last us for 2 days, then we would have to suffer with on 2g of data left to use at slow speeds.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ran into something very interesting, and unusual, and very frustrating.
all at the same time.

as I mentioned, I am now using a T-Mobile 5G wireless modem, "InseeGo" by brand name.

it is fast, it will connect to just about any website in the world,
EXCEPT FOR T-mobile.com

I just spent the last 2 hours with a TM Network technician trying to resolve why this is happening?

I can switch to my Verizon cellphone Hotspot, and log into my TM account w/o any problems at all.

Switch back to the TM WiFi signal and boom, no more T-Mobile on my computers here at home....

I have tried it with the following
  1. 2 Linux laptops, using Firefox and Chrome.
  2. 1 Win10 laptop
  3. 1 Win7 desktop

all are using WiFi as the modem does not support a LAN port....
( it is a Travel WiFi modem only )

. Interesting, but not funny at all.
TM tech has created a Ticket to see about getting it fixed....
and so we wait.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stopped on a hill with the Travel Modem yesterday, and did a SpeedText.net exercise.

very nice download speeds on 5G

200 Mbps down is not shabby at all....

when I was in the T-Mobile retail store in Owasso, OK
did a speed test there and got a different result.

faster up than down?
Hmmmmm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts