Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I really want to attach a ordinary Coleman 1 gallon cooler to the right-side passenger floorboard on my GL1800. I need about 1 gallon of water to keep me hydrated through two tanks (including aux cell) or 750 miles. I tried just bolting the cooler to the board as seen in this series of pics. Did not work as the silicone is not strong enough. I do not fashion out of metal.

http://rides.johnocooper.com/home/gl1800-cooler-project

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
imported post

You've already drilled holes.
Cut a disc from 1/8 or 3/16 aluminum that will fill the bottome of your cooler.
Once it fits down there well, cut another nearly the same diameter as the outside of the cooler.
Drop the inside disc into the cooler, hold it steady against the bottum, use a object on the outside to mark those two holes.
Then remove it and place the cooler on top of the larger outside disc you cut to support the outside bottum, mark the two holes in it.
Drill those 4holes.
Use two brass bolts to secure all this together on the floorboard.
Make an upper support loop from some nylon belting material to hold top part of cooler.

Not that it matters, but I am mildly curious as to where you going that you can't stop briefly for rest / stretching / drink for 750 miles anyway?

:?

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

CrystalPistol wrote:
You've already drilled holes.  
Cut a disc from 1/8 or 3/16 aluminum that will fill the bottome of your cooler. 
Once it fits down there well, cut another nearly the same diameter as the outside of the cooler. 
Drop the inside disc into the cooler, hold it steady against the bottum, use a object on the outside to mark those two holes. 
Then remove it and place the cooler on top of the larger outside disc you cut to support the outside bottum, mark the two holes in it.  
Drill those 4 holes.
Use two brass bolts to secure all this together on the floorboard. 
Make an upper support loop from some nylon belting material to hold top part of cooler.

Not that it matters, but I am mildly curious as to where you going that you can't stop briefly for rest / stretching / drink for 750 miles anyway?

:?
I wish you were not on the other coast, I'd ride to your house and beg you to fashion this for me.

I am an endurance rider, I don't like stopping. I don't ride often for any reason other than endurance rides. I cannot explain it. I also run marathons but don't like walking to the market.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

"
I wish you were not on the other coast, I'd ride to your house and beg you to fashion this for me."

Why not?
Sounds like a marathon ride to me! LOL

I thought IBA rides you were required to stop for fuel every 300 miles rather you needed it or not?

Anyway have you thought of just using some large flat fender washers on the bolts inside, then seal over them?
Could coat the fender washer top and bottom as well as the bolt, coating the bottom of the washer would make like a gasket under it. Bolt a bit tight to spread and smooth the lower sealer till it cures then tighten a bit more maybe to pinch it tight?

More details on what your trying to do, how you plan to use it, and why it is not working might help also.

I mean like is it to carry water in it just loose and it leaks because sealer does not stick well to bottom. Or are you just going to use it for an ice chest and put bottles of water in it?
Are the bolts causing the bottom to flex and making the sealer pop loose, or are they trying to pull through?
Things like that.

Of course if you plan to fill it with loose ice water to drink, not in bottles, you did check your sealer is safe for drinking water right?
I saw on the link you provided "Marine Sealer" which I don't know anything about, is that food grade safe stuff?
If not, maybe check some fish tank sealer, that may be safe since it is for constant contact with water that the fish swim in.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
imported post

well i dont have any ideas on how to bolt it down ,but i think if you drink that much water you will surely have to piss.so why bother.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Some places on the IBA site to refer to a 300 mile limit but others refer to 350 or even 400 miles. I have about 375 mile range and the goal is to have enough water so I only have to go into the store on every other fuel stop because doing so adds several minutes to the stop. I usually stop at 290-325 miles but have gone as far as 377. I parked next to a modified Road King at an IBA event in Denver this summer. This guy had 21 gallons of fuel, 2 gallons of water and necessary gear for getting rid of water. He said he could easily ride 12 hours without stopping.

The basic problem is the torque required to tighten the bolts causes the seal around washer (inside the cooler) to leak. I like the gasket idea a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure how pretty you need it to be, but here is a little trick I did so I could carry my golf clubs on my CB550. A plastic food bucket, a few U-bolts and Robert is your mother's brother, a cheap and useful aux saddle bag! And your water cooler will be easy in / easy out without having to mess with bolts and hardware.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Try a bladder/hydration bag either on the back, or better yer in a tank bag like I do and then you can have the drinking hose attached with Velcro to the handlebars.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

My hips and knees are only good for about 90 minutes of riding.

I don't know how you guys do it.

Must be a young pup.:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Both good ideas.

Check the plastic tubs/buckets at times if left in the sun much, I've had them fall apart at the touch but it was after many months or a year or so of continuous outdoor use.

For a hydration bladder I could not find one I wanted.
I made my own with a Gator-aid bottle, clear vinyl drinking quality tubing, and Bite valve which is 2 for $1.88 at wal-mart.
Gator-aid bottles are a good heavy jug!
Quart and 1/2gal size use the same lid, a 1gal jug uses a bit larger lid.
I just cut a hole in the lid for a tight fit and forced the tubing through enough to reach bottom of bottle, then pressed on the bite valve.
May want to make a tiny hole for air in the lid also, I did not as I wanted a small vacuum in bottle to pull back the water so not as much would be in the line to get hot.
Course I wanted mine up on the gear behind me, not on the foot board.
The bite valve is a threaded fitting but I just pushed it onto the end of the hose and it holds well. With the bottle pulling a vacuum there is a little air leak at the valve but does not bother me and works well for slowly letting the water back to the bottle. Would be easy enough to just put a dab of sealer there at the valve if wanted.

A nice thing about using the bottles is you can have as many different drinks ready to use as you want, water, Gator-aid of all flavors, etc... and you just switch the caps fast and easy whenever you want.
I plan to carry several in a cooler bag.
After looking at the prices and not really finding what I wanted anyway I will probably make my own bag also.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
imported post

Why don't you just stop when you get thirsty and drink some water or beverage of your choice?

You need a break anyways...:?

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Is there a 12 step meeting for Iron Butt Addiction?

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
My hips and knees are only good for about 90 minutes of riding.

I don't know how you guys do it.

Must be a young pup.:cheeky1:
+100

I don’t get the reason to mount this thing. How do you fill it up if it’s bolted down? Why not just strap it on the back seat?

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

Even if you are carrying some gear on the passenger seat, you should still be able to put the cooler on top. Whether you use the cooler or a large camelback set-up, you may consider filling them up about a third and place them on their sides in the freezer overnight.

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

Back seat is occupied by a fuel cell and when I hit construction zones or other slowdowns I sit on it for a break. Passenger floorboard is perfect place.

People ask why don't you just stop. The answer is I do not know but it is like running; when I am running I cannot rest or stop, it just does not work. I can slow down, I can walk but I cannot stop. If I stop its over.

Filling it bolted down is easy; buy one-gallon water in store, fill cooler.

Young pup? Not sure, 53 in a couple of weeks.

Endurance riding is often called "Ironbutt", that is a misnomer. It is really iron-will. Most of us have endured far worse pain than that of sitting on a motorcycle for a long period. What is required is the will to go on and not stop. It is similar to long distance running (but MUCH EASIER). At one point I weighed 370 pounds (6'4")and could barely get up and down the steps in my house. A year later at 255, I completed a half-marathon. It's a matter of will!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

larryinseattle wrote:
Is there a 12 step meeting for Iron Butt Addiction?
There is a 12-step but its 100 miles between steps and you have only 30 hours to complete it.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
imported post

2006GL1800 wrote:
People ask why don't you just stop. The answer is I do not know but it is like running; when I am running I cannot rest or stop, it just does not work. I can slow down, I can walk but I cannot stop. If I stop its over.

I can kinda understand that. I'm the same way with physical labor. When mowing the lawn or cleaning the garage or moving boxes from here to there, if I stop in the middle for more than a bathroom break, it doesn't get done.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
imported post

Task completion matrix

Start
Don't stop until done

>>>>>>>Action

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Although I am not an official Iron Butt rider I have done the 1K over night and other rides where I went more than 1K in a day or years ago more than 2K in 2 days.

I guess it is the same as "Why did the man climb the mountain? Because it was there!" type thing.
We do it because we can, or just want to get to the place we are going without excessive hotel and food bills on the way! Or maybe we have limited time to make a trip to where we want to go, enjoy, then get back home.

Many reasons. The main one is......
Because the road is there!

It's like trying to explain to a cage driver why we ride bikes at all. Or to some people why we run car tires, or why we ride at night. Etc...
Some understand, some you have to explain to, and some will just never get it at all.

When I go cross country I like to ride, it's the reason for the trip. I don;t care so much about stopping at tourist places and though I should stop for more pictures more often I just don't!
I enjoy the ride, the scenery, etc... but if I am riding I am riding and if I am not well then I could just be at home LOL

Now I do like to stop and visit friends, or meet new folks like the forum members etc... so I will stop and do that.
Far as going to see Hover Dam, the meteor crater, grand canyon, etc... I just rode past all of that and never really gave it a thought.
Heck I stopped for gas early morning after riding all night and took a nap for a couple hours on a picnic table bench just about 8 miles from the big Meteor crater thing, I just happened to stop at that exit and was on the same road, never saw it! I just got up and rode, looked it up online when I finally got home LOL

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
imported post

2006GL1800 wrote:
I am an endurance rider, I don't like stopping. I don't ride often for any reason other than endurance rides. I cannot explain it. I also run marathons but don't like walking to the market.
Oh, I was just curious.
Instead of fastening to the pass floorboard, place the two screws through the base of the cooler and use a nylock nut and washers under neath bottom outer plate I described, then just place cooler in place by dropping it into position as screws ends go through FB, then strap top of cooler to pass handrail. That way, it's removable by unding straps.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.