Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Per the latest announcements we will be resetting everyone’s passwords. Shortly you should be receiving an email directing you how to change your password. It will look like this:

Subject: Your new password for *site name*
Dear *username*,
Your password has been reset by an administrator. Your new details are as follows:
Username: *username*
Password: *Randomly generated temp password*
To change your password, please visit this page: *link to password reset edit page from USERCP*
If you suspect this email is a scam, you can confirm the legitimacy of this email by manually navigate to the forum URL yourself and use your new password to log in.
All the best,
Site Name

As you can see it will give you a randomly generated temporary password, as well as telling you where you need to go to updated it accordingly.
If you do not receive this email please go to the contact us page and select Other, and type in Security Password Update Issues
We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The Community Support Team

·
Administrator
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello Everyone,

We wanted to give you an update on the reset password emails that went out yesterday. Due to the high volume of emails going out and some service providers blocking them as spam, users have either been getting them late, or not at all. If you have not received your password reset email please use the password reset function “forgot password”. These emails will go through a paid provider and should show up instantly.
To do so just go to log in >> once it redirects you click forgot password >> follow the steps provided.
If you do not remember the email address associated with your account you can use the contact us tab at the bottom of the page to email us for assistance. Please select the “other” option and add subject “security password issues”

We apologize for any disruption this has caused to your forum experience.

·
Administrator
57,514 Posts
this POS business has caused me and the other mods more hurt and discontent than anything your group has done.

it has caused a lot of harm out in the world, folks are telling me they will never come back to our forum.

your ad revenue is going into the toilets as I speak.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been locked out since yesterday. Having been an IT manager for many years this whole process has been bush league at best and that's being nice. Globally resetting passwords without advance notification is a sure sign of ineptness. I never got the "promised" email with the temporary password. I attempted the "Forgot Password" link multiple times and never received any email response. I used the "Contact Us" form at the bottom of the page and never received a response. Finally, continuously using the "Forgot Password" link multiple times finally resulted in an email allowing me back in.

Now I know that site access here is a privilege and not a right. However, pissing off your loyal posters is the start of a death spiral from which recovery is difficult if not impossible and that doesn't matter whether it's a business, this forum, or whatever else it may be.

·
Administrator
57,514 Posts
yup, agree 100%

and there is going to be some very serious loss of Ad Revenue as a result of this.

lots of my friends are telling me that they will never, ever, visit a forum that is HOSTED BY VERTICAL SCOPE.

Dusty Boots, Ken Ventress is telling that story LOUD AND LONG to every one he knows, and he is the most respected forum member we ever had on here....

and you folks pissed him off so bad, he is going out of his way to make damn sure you never get a new member from anyone who knows and respects him.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I'm back in.

That was a ride and a half.

Sh*t happens and we need to all calm down a bit. It's not like you insulin delivery failed.

Could it have been handled differently - Probably but it's not life ending and we don't know the real story behind this. It could have been a very urgent matter in the background that needed to be done and little planning time was available.

Sorry I Skyped you John. I thought is was just me or a few of us.

Anyhow... I am happy and never was unhappy. Nobody died and that's a lot to be said after this week in the news.

Breath... in.... out... in... out...

Tim

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
Got in this morning, now it wont accept my choice of new password, wont turn off the red X for symbols even though entered 3 of them!

Hope this gets fixed soon.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Tom.... make sure the first password in the first field is the temp one they sent you.

Then enter the one of your choice that meets their criteria.

THEN below you re-enter that newly chosen password.

If you enter you newly chosen password in the top two fields then you will probably get that error. This is a well know security block and is completely faultless.

It is 99.99999% user fault. Make sure you read it well.

Tim

·
Administrator
57,514 Posts
I'm back in.

That was a ride and a half.

Sh*t happens and we need to all calm down a bit. It's not like you insulin delivery failed.

Could it have been handled differently - Probably but it's not life ending and we don't know the real story behind this. It could have been a very urgent matter in the background that needed to be done and little planning time was available.

Sorry I Skyped you John. I thought is was just me or a few of us.

Anyhow... I am happy and never was unhappy. Nobody died and that's a lot to be said after this week in the news.

Breath... in.... out... in... out...

Tim

tim,
I never saw the Skype thing, I uninstall it the minute I am done with it.

I hate Notifications with a panacea..... and if I can't turn them off, I uninstall the software, and that is exactly what I did. removed it from my phone and my PC... it would not shut up, no matter how hard I tried to squelch it.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
No problem John. Glad I didn't add to your frustration load!

Tim

·
Administrator
57,514 Posts
as you recall most likely, it did not work that well for me anyway,
and I just gave up and called you direct on my cellphone.

funny thing about that, I never received a notice, or a bill for doing that.

. edit, got to wondering about, while I was gone to Meadows of Dan, VA a new bill came in to the house.

I just printed it out and found it.

$33.91 for a 69 minute visit :rofl:

so, that little enjoyable chat we had, was a lot of fun, and I did enjoy it.
but, I need to find a internet portal that is not as aggravating as Skype...
it has been junk IMO ever since Microsoft bought it and changed the way it works.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
How dare you people just decide to reset everyones password. This is the biggest bunch of bullshit I have had to put up with in here and is the last straw. I will not be coming back anytime soon. Who the hells idea was this anyway and why? It took forever to get your change password to accept a new one. Kept saying my new password didn't match my old one..... DUHHHHH!
Good bye

·
Administrator
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys,

I understand your concerns with this sudden, and seemingly aggressive change.
Recently it was brought to our attention that the developer of a 3rd party plugin that we and other forums use had their database breached and scraped. This included user data, as such to ensure that no accounts are compromised we are initialing this new security update.
We are being aggressive about this for member's protection.

If there are any other questions/concerns/feedback, please feel free to post them here.

Thank you for your patience and understanding,

Richard.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Instead of being "aggressive" about fixing your screw-ups once the horse is out of the gate, why not try being "aggressive" about using a better system in the first place?

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/verticalscope-hack/

I'm against the homogenization of the motorcycle industry as it is, and Vertical Scope is way up near the top of my list of offenders. VS and Bonnier Group might be following some sort of "business model" in their eyes, but from my seat in the bleachers all you're doing is acting like vultures (and inept ones at that).

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
i dont understand, i dont have anything they can steal from me on this website, i dont share anything that i dont think it should be public so why do we need to use a super high tech hacker proof password?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The issue is that in many cases, people use the same user names and passwords across multiple sites. While you may not care in this instance, imagine if you're someone who's made that mistake and is using the same user name/password combo on sites like Amazon, eBay, or other sites which may contain information like credit card numbers, addresses, etc. The information that was stolen from this site can be used to mount theft attempts at other locations.

Hacking technology is to the point where very effective attacks can be carried out with relatively modest hardware in a fairly short period of time.

The larger issue is that VerticalScope has been compromised, in part to not taking the sort of prudence and precaution that they should in maintaining the back end of their systems. Since they've bought (what seems like) damn near every motorcycle forum on the internet, it would appear that they're trying to get away with the least possible amount of maintenance on their holdings.

MORAL OF THE STORY: If you use the username/password combos from this site on any other website, you should change your passwords on those sites immediately.

Site security is a major concern in the digital age, even if most people don't understand why.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The issue is that in many cases, people use the same user names and passwords across multiple sites. While you may not care in this instance, imagine if you're someone who's made that mistake and is using the same user name/password combo on sites like Amazon, eBay, or other sites which may contain information like credit card numbers, addresses, etc. The information that was stolen from this site can be used to mount theft attempts at other locations.
And triple locking the barn door after the horses are out is going to help how?:?

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's not. The damage is done. The best thing that forum members can do now is change their passwords at any site that used the same username/passwords as this site.

VerticalScope needs to be more proactive about forum security, but I'm sure that doesn't mesh with their "buy everything and milk it for all the advertising you can get" business model.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
So what am I supposed to do if I was originally registered with a now non existent email address? Wasn't sent a temporary password of course. System doesn't recognize my current one of course. Can't do squat here.

·
Administrator
57,514 Posts
Yes, it was poorly done.
It should have allowed us to log in, then make sure our email address is updated FIRST and then have us change our password AFTER we have logged in.

that way, no problems would have ever occurred for us.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.