Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ihave a theory about ATV'sthat some have agreed with and I'm sure some think is crazy. I am of the firm belief that ATV's are far more dangerous for young folks than dirt bikes. I would not let my child ride an ATV but encouraged him to ride dirt bikes. If you asked most people you would here that they would be more secure knowing that their kids were riding ATV's than motorcycles. Most feel that ATV's are safer. This is a hoax that has been played on the general public.

My reasoning is this.As soon as a youngster puts his or her hand on a motorcycle's handlebars they are made aware that if they don'tapply the right input the motorcycle will fall over. As soon as they ride it they are made awareof the same thing. One mistake and it falls over. If theyturn too fast it falls over or throwsthem off. Accelerate or brake wrong and they go down. They learn this stuff at low speeds.

When they sit on an ATV it feels stable and solid. It gives them a sense of safety. What often happens though is that they keep pushing it to new levels and when things finally go too far, the crash can be catastrophic. This actually happensquite often. Two teenagers in my home town died as a result of ATV crashes. These were several years apart and no other vehicles were involved. They were just crashes while out tearing around.

It is my firm belief that the design of an ATV lulls the operator into thinking that they are more stable than they are and when thingsgo wrong they go way wrong.

Ihope that I made my point clear.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

It's all a matter of training, NO matter what you ride.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

Ok, and your point is what? They should be outlawed? I refuse to tiptoe through live to arrive at death safely.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

In the area where I live there have been many many tragic deaths from ATV accidents involving youths. Dirt bikes I know of only 1. I think in most cases, the ATV was the culprit. What I mean by that is an accident happened, and the rider was crushed or hit by their ownATV. Whereas with a dirt bike that does not happen. I think an ATV gives you a false sense of security when you ride, that adds to a possible accident. ATV's are great vehicles, I have one myself, for fun and as a tool. I alsohave a dirt bike. :action: I do believe theycan bemuch more dangerous than dirt bikes given these reasons. :?I do not believe any of them should be outlawed. It all comes down to personal responsibility. If however, deaths continue to happen with the 4-wheelers, they could go the way of the now outlawed 3 wheeler. :byebye:

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

What’s more dangerous: all-terrain vehicles or dirt bikes?

According to a new study, ATVs are significantly more dangerous.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University found that victims of ATV crashes were 50 percent more likely to die and 55 percent more likely to be admitted into intensive care than those injured in dirt-bike crashes.

That debunks the long-thought perception that four-wheelers are safer than dirt bikes.

Scientists believe the weight of an ATV contributed dramatically to the results because victims were more likely to be crushed and seriously injured.

Researchers also noted that ATV riders were less likely to wear helmets.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

??? ...through all the theories, opinions and studies, ...the Government did outlaw 3-wheel ATV's back in the 80's. Ya'll forget that?

Of course ATV's are more dangerous.

When square-tied Yupster Parents put their little Tikes on mini-cc 4-wheelers knowing they can barely ride a bicycle, you know something bad is gonna happen. I see it all the time. They can't ramp-up statistics on dirtbikes if they ain't riding 'em.

;)

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I am 100% certain that a ATV can not kill anyone. It takes human action for that to happen. What is more dangerous driving a car or a motorcycle? Motorcycles a far more deadly. What is the point? Should motorcycles be banned? Or should cars be banned because air travel is safer than cars?I mean really, who cares?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Just wish they would stay off the paved roads.

People buy them that have no where to ride them.

Stupidity is an incurable disease in some people.

Good thing breathing is involuntary or a lot of people would be dead.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

So, You should not complain about ATVs, they actually fix stupid. LOL

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

mosswing wrote:
I am 100% certain that a ATV can not kill anyone. It takes human action for that to happen. What is more dangerous driving a car or a motorcycle? Motorcycles a far more deadly. What is the point? Should motorcycles be banned? Or should cars be banned because air travel is safer than cars?I mean really, who cares?
Who cares? I think everyone involved should care. We do things to make our ride safer on motorcycles, such as protective gear and modulating lights and rider education. Why not for ATV's? As has been stated above, there is a false sense of security by many about ATV's because they have 4 wheels. That false sense of security leads to deadly consequences sometimes. Promoting rider education for ATV's would be a good thing. No I don't want them outlawed and I don't believe rider education should be forced either, except possibly for minors, but maybe some more publicity about the dangers that come with riding ATV's that may not be apparent to the average buyer would be enough.

John

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Simply put, ATVs induce the feeling of 100% stability right up to the point that the vehicle becomes unstable. And when it becomes unstable and crashes, it almost always follows the same path as the rider.

Dirt bikes are exactly opposite. They are somewhat unstable at all times, although worse at slow and high speeds. When they crash they dont tend to follow the rider.

I support training for youth ATV riders.

But some states [mine included] require the youth to ride a machine based on their age. Just two weeks back I saw a LEO tell a kid he couldnt ride his ATV. It was 250cc, he was 13 years old.

6 foot 1 and 215 lbs. According to most manufacturers, by age he should have been riding a 90cc...

Unfortunately, we have a one size fits all in a world where it simply doesnt. We can thank all the yahoos for forcing the gov't to legislate common sense.

Wear a helmet. Get some training. Ride an appropriate sized machine.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Common sense is dead and buried ...

On another thought, I personally don't like to have a nice quiet campground disrupted by the sound of ATV's (or dirt bikes for that matter) chaseing up and down the hills. (But, I have plenty of bad habits others don't like too.) 30-40 years ago you had a nice hike to get to where a lot of these accidents happen ... not so many accidents with people walking.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

Well there you have it, pass a law that the only means of transportation is walking.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

The government already micro-manages us enough.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
Just wish they would stay off the paved roads.

People buy them that have no where to ride them.

Stupidity is an incurable disease in some people.

Good thing breathing is involuntary or a lot of people would be dead.
Thank you.

Add the "nowhere to ride" to the various other powered toys being flogged everywhere. Un-registrable bikes included.

Re the ATVs,a child could go from a tricycle to an ATV in a minute. Here's the throttle and here's the brake. On a flat paved surface at 5 MPH they would be fine. Flat paved at 5 MPH isn't fun so the risk escalates with speed and terrain variations.

The basic problem is that when things are sold as toys instead of tools it is assumed that no instruction is required because no one would make an unsafe toy.

Almost every tool is dangerous unless used as designed and bya trained person.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

mosswing wrote:
The government already micro-manages us enough.
Bingo.
Not the gov's job/obligation to make this choice, it has to do with personal responsibility.
Dumb people do dumb things and no amount of hand holding is going to change it.
Government already controls my toilet, it sure as hell doesn't need to control what choices I make about entertainment. If I chose to ride a ATV, dirt bike or the 'wing, it is not the gov's business. I have insurance. I pay my bills.

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
imported post

This thread ain't about government regulations,,,,,,

The OP has the opinion that quads are more hazardous to operate than dirt bikes and said so - that's all.
I for one agree with him.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

What irritates me is that my tax dollars pay to create and maintain ATV and Snowmobile trails, but it's illegal for my kids to ride dirt bikes on those trails. The excuse is that dirt bikes are too dangerous and they ruin the trails.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
imported post

norton wrote:
This thread ain't about government regulations,,,,,,

The OP has the opinion that quads are more hazardous to operate than dirt bikes and said so - that's all.
I for one agree with him.
+1

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

National stats. for 2009 ATV deaths 376 MC deaths 4462.

Did not say which ones were in the dirt or on pavement.

Don't know the ratio ofATV to MCnumbers.

All sounds hazzardous to me don't belive I'll condem one over the other though.

Death stats.in pasg. vehices overhelm them both by far.

So if you use something with wheels you could get hurt.:?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.