Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

wingnut wrote:
jobe05 wrote:
......but someone donated money to the forum members and a select group made the decision what should be done with it without the vote of the group that was present, as is what happened with the Auction funds.

That is incorrect. To clarify, the $500 was given to me to use at the event for any purpose that I decided on so a vote for it's use was not required. The $500 was never intended as a supplement for the auction funds. I really had no concrete plans for the $500 and was thinking of a spot prize, quiz or something like that, but still wasn't sure what to do with it.
Dylan and myself arrived back to camp late after the vote was done and when the auction was started, and during a conversation with FM I became aware of his current situation which he can elaborate on if he wishes to. If you all had been aware of that during the vote, I know you all would have done the decent thing and included FM in your vote. But we don't have the benefit of hindsight, and none of you knew during the vote that FM was in trouble. After talking to him I decided that the $500 would be put to better use in his hands. I would have done the same for any other member who was in trouble and approached me, FM just happened to be the first one I spoke to.
Once I decided what I wanted to do with the $500, I asked wexy for his opinion and he agreed with my thinking, and Flyone also agreed. I asked Flyone as host to make the announcement and he did, and I handed over the money to FM.
The initial idea to help out FM was mine and I have no regrets about it. In my mind the money was put to good use, and like I said I would have done the same for anyone else there who was in trouble and had approached me. Some decisions have to be made on the spot and I'm sorry if some of you disagree with this one, but I know I did the right thing. This post might help you all understand the lead-up to my decision.

My initial post here seems to have sparked off some sour grapes posts by a couple of members. That was not my intention and I didn't expect it to happen. I apologies for not seeing it coming.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
imported post

When a friend is down on their luck you do something. If they are nearby you might bake them a cassarole or take care of their yard because you know they would do the same for you. This is our equivalent

Onebeauty of the auction is seeing the wierd stuff and what itwent for. Some went high and some low but in the end we had fun and we got to share with friends.

I have full confidence in the management to make the right choices. They haven't let us down yet.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
When a friend is down on their luck you do something. If they are nearby you might bake them a cassarole or take care of their yard because you know they would do the same for you. This is our equivalent
I have no idea what FM's difficulties are, but I think most of the forum members will agree the $500 he was given was put to better use than throwing it in as a prize or something similar.
I've donated to a couple of fund raisers but I admit I don't like them because there is always a chance that it will cause resentment or jealousy. If that becomes a common feature of future fund raisers, I wonder if it is worth having them?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I agree the right thing was done.
The money was Steve's to decide what to do with it, and I think he made a very good choice!
The $500 really did not have anything to do with us members since it came from elsewhere, not us.

I'm sure if we had known of FM's problems before the auction he may have been included in the vote also, but most people were probably like me and had no idea at the time.

Myself and another member were talking with FM before he left. Was just general have a safe trip talk but he did tell us some things which I won't repeat myself other than to say it's a serious concern and I wish FM well and have him in my prayers also.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
The money was Steve's to decide what to do with it, and I think he made a very good choice!
The $500 really did not have anything to do with us members since it came from elsewhere, not us.

I'm sure if we had known of FM's problems before the auction he may have been included in the vote also, but most people were probably like me and had no idea at the time.

Myself and another member were talking with FM before he left. Was just general have a safe trip talk but he did tell us some things which I won't repeat myself other than to say it's a serious concern and I wish FM well and have him in my prayers also.
Very well put Chromo, couldn't of said it better myself, and will also keep Floyd in our prayers as well as Rudy....:claps::claps::claps:

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

These are the stories we know about and I'm sure there are lots we don't know.

One of our long time quiet members who I will not name has been going through a cancer ordeal for the past 2 years and is one of the finest men I have ever known. Financially I know this has been tough on him and his family but he won't say boo about it. This occurred just at a time when he changed jobs and had to make a significant move from one city to another. A New job, no sick time or earned benefits in these tough economic times. He is a man of faith and he has beat the odds and I ask we send out a prayer to keep him on his continued road to recovery. I know that is all he would accept from this community.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
imported post

Kyle wrote:
These are the stories we know about and I'm sure there are lots we don't know.

One of our long time quiet members who I will not name has been going through a cancer ordeal for the past 2 years and is one of the finest men I have ever known. Financially I know this has been tough on him and his family but he won't say boo about it. This occurred just at a time when he changed jobs and had to make a significant move from one city to another. A New job, no sick time or earned benefits in these tough economic times. He is a man of faith and he has beat the odds and I ask we send out a prayer to keep him on his continued road to recovery. I know that is all he would accept from this community.
He's covered....

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

A big THANK YOU! To everyone that donated Items to the auction and everyone that bought knowing the money was going to a good cause. Steve and Wexy brought andbought auctionitems and gave them away to membersin good spirit. Lets hope we can continue the auctions in that spirit and help out who ever is in need from our forum. and to Nobbie,Snrlawer,Chromo,Tmdriverwannabe.Well Said! Cant wait for NASSIR 6 :applause:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

saws-n-wings wrote:
...Steve and Wexy brought andbought auctionitems and gave them away to membersin good spirit...
Well we didn't want to cart all the things we brought for and bought at the auction back home, we had toleave room in the suitcases for new shoes and clothes for Dylan. ;)

·
Senior Smart Aleck
1,599 Posts
imported post

tmdriverwannabe wrote:
Chromo wrote:

Very well put Chromo, couldn't of said it better myself, and will also keep Floyd in our prayers as well as Rudy....:claps::claps::claps:
Couldn't agree more. Well said Chromo. :claps::claps::claps:

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
imported post

The funds were received today by the recipients and confirmed by PM. :thumbsup:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.