Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just can't seem to leave well enough alone and am constantly thinking of ways to modify this bike. One thing I am definitely not is an audio expert. But I figure that someone here should have the answer I am looking for. So I have a Sony Marine stereo installed along with a Pyle marine 4 channel amplifier. Now I have 5-1/4 Infinity dash speakers and they are listed as 2 ohms. And 4" 4 ohm speakers in the rear. I have been contemplating adding a set of subwoofer speakers to the rear channel. I have seen quite a few 6.5" and 8" subwoofers rated at 2ohms that would probably be a good match. My plan would be to mount the 2 subwoofers in the trunk on the wall behind the passenger backrest. The Sony stereo has RCA outputs which is what I am using to hook up to the amp. The Sony has a setting that allows the rear output to be switched to a subwoofer setting. The amp has adjustable settings for front channel and separate adjust for the rear channel. So it appears that front and rear are independent.

I am not looking for knock down earththumping sound, just a little improvement when driving around town because that is where I spend most of my driving anyway. Iam fullyaware that at highway speeds, I would be fighting a losing battle. But listening to a GL1800 pass by the other day (I wasn't able to find out if he had done any audio upgrades though) and factory Harley setups, I know there is room for a little more improvement on what I have done already.

Is there any reason thatI couldn't use this setup and just add subwoofer speakers to the rear channel? And if so, is it ok to stay with 2 ohm setup or should I really considerswitching to a true 4ohm setup for the dash speakers and subwoofers?

The Pyle manual for the amp really isn't very much help. It basically says that I can use 4 ohm speakers or 8 ohm speakers. And no mention of anything about subwoofers. But the 2ohm dash speakers have been working fine so far. And there have been several that use the stock 3ohm GL1500 speakers with no issues. But I really have been thinking about adding bass blockers thoughto the front speakers, possibly 150hz even though the Infinity's are rated down to 67hz. It is because of this that I am considering subwoofers.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

The amp doesn't care what you use it for as long as the impedance load is right.
The main difference between a subwoofer and a regular speaker is that the subwoofer has all the higher frequencies filtered off and the amp is beefier because bass is where all the energy is required.
The problems you are facing (like all of us) is that you have small speaker cones and little or no acoustic chambering behind the speakers.
I have seen where one guy put a pair of sub woofers under the backrest facing into the trunk. I'm sure he got some bass but the box was seriously compromised for strength, IMO.
Normally you will have 5 or 6 channels for a four speaker system with two subwoofers.
Two for the front, two for the rear and oone or two for the subwoofer. Typically the subwoofer is run from it's own separate amp and is typically bridged for more power.
The equalizer I'm using has two line-in channels and the 6 line out channels for this configuration.
The two line-out channels for the subwoofer amp is already filtered for that purpose.
The rear speakers won't be useful as subwoofers due to size and rattling plastics.
I saw a picture of a bike where the passenger cubby doors and the fairing pockets were all replaced with a molded plastic piece that allowed much larger speakers in those locations. I would favor that direction if I could find those over cutting large subwoofer holes in my top box forward wall.
Problem is, I haven't found them anywhere yet.

·
Deceased 1/2017
1,206 Posts
imported post

When using a 2 channel amp it is best to keep all the speakers the same impedance. If you mix 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers then the amp will run hotter and eventually shut down on either high temp or impedance. What I would do, if it were me, I would get a small 4 channel amp that was capable of running 4,3,2 channel mode and run it in the 3 channel mode. The front channel would be for your front and rear speakers and the 1 channel would be bridged for the subs. I would invest in a set of good 6 1/2'" subs, or sometimes called mid-bass speakers. Kicker used to make a line of subs called Solo-Baric subs that worked in very small enclosures. I believe the on that would work best for your situation would be the CompVT 6 1/2. They only take 1 cubic foot of air space each for optimal sound. If you could find someone or you could do it yourself, make a fiberglass box that would fit in your trunk. The only problem would be having enough room for the sound wave to form. Bass is like a sine wave the longer it has to form the better and louder it sounds. That's why these boom box systems bass sounds so much louder farther away from them than it does near them. I saw the post from the guy in Belarus and his set up looked good.
Years ago I had my own stereo shop and built many many systems and with one of them I nearly got to go to the IASCA finals in Stillwater Ok. but missed out by 1/10 of a point.

If I can be of any help please let me know and I'll do my best to help you in any way I can.

:waving:

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

All very good information. Thanks. I kind of agree about weakening the trunk and thats why I was looking at going smaller with the subwoofers. My thoughts were I was going to ditch the presentrear speakers entirely and use that rear channel for the subwoofers. So the front channel on the amp would be the dash speakers and the rear channel would be just the subs.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

That could work. Now all you need is a place to put them.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
imported post

Does anyone have suggestions for replacement speakers that are better than original? I have a 2000 1500 Se and don't want to get fancy (as above) just want a little better quality in teh same size speakers.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Oddy wrote:
Does anyone have suggestions for replacement speakers that are better than original? I have a 2000 1500 Se and don't want to get fancy (as above) just want a little better quality in teh same size speakers.
For stock amplifiers, I have always liked the Polk Audio speakers that Electrical Connection sells.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
That could work. Now all you need is a place to put them.
You know, now that I have reinforced the trunk lid, maybe I should consider a subwoofer box on top of the lid/rack or maybe just use some larger speakers in it instead of thumping bass subwoofers. :kiss:

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Oddy, one type I keep seeing recommended over and over here is the Polk DB501 speakers. They are 5" and marine rated. HERE are a bunch of threads on them. Think also about adding XTC speaker baffles to help provide abetter fairing speaker enclosure. Very cheap to do.nOne place you can find them is HEREbut if you search, you may be able to find them deeper. They come in 2 depths so try and get the deeper ones. The dash speaker opening is an odd size 4.5". You could probably get the 4" ones to work but I'll bet the 5.25" ones would work as well.

Rudy, I think that is where HD has the advantage. They can fit 7.25" speakers in their dash and 5.25" in the rear. That alone would make a difference. I probably would ditch the idea of subs. Unfortunately just getting 5.25" speakers in the dash of a GL1500 was an effort and I think thats about as large as you could go. Unless there was a major mod, maybe speaker boxesto the dash, there isn't much that can be done there. And the turning radius of the handlebars would also be affected. You might be on to something about doing a rear external enclosure. The integrity of the trunk would not be compromised and it might be more adaptable. I would have to do your trunk lid reinforcement upgrade and have been considering doing that anyway. Itwould give me piece of mind that I couldavoid trunk lid issues....

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

And those custum enclosures were being made by trayk-by. They were a 4 piece set that were for the front and rear speakers. I don't recall the front speaker size but I am pretty sure the rears were 5.25". I really liked tham but IIRC, they were selling for over $300 and were a little rich for me...

Also the ones made by Daryl Martel. You can see it HERE (I couldn't get the picture to cut and paste) but I still don't see getting 7.25" speakers in there either...

I'm can be happy with my present setup, at least I have my tunes and they do sound much better than stock. I'm just always looking at ways to tweak out a more all around sound.....

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Bear in mind that if you have loud mufflers to overcome you probably need 7 1/4 " speakers and I'm betting none of that gets heard doing 70 mph on one of them for very long, if at all.

Also the trunk lid reinforcement is no panacea. You still have to deal with weight and stress. It is just distributed to a larger area before being concentrated again at the mounting bolts, hinges and latches.

I'd be looking for something in a lightweight fiberglass or even ABS box that I can remove easily when I want to. I'm picturing either 6" round Infinitys or something like them in marine grade or maybe even maybe 6x9's set at angles to each other.

·
Pwhoever
3,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Actually I am using the stock HD mufflers that those guys get rid of because they are not loud enough:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

They really aren't much louder than the stock GL1500 ones areso no real issues with being able to hear the radio.

I'll have to brainstorm these options over the winter and see what I can come up with. Hmmm, 6x9's, didn't even think about those.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.