Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to order a rear tire for the 1500 and am really considering the Austone. My one issue or question that I have is the extra height that it's going to bring to the bike.

In Tellico Plains a couple weeks ago I sat on Dusty's Wing and didn't see or feel any difference, but we were on the grass and the surfaces were varying and different.

I have a 29 inch (and shrinking) inseam. Right now, sitting on the bike on a flat surface I can't quit get flat footed. I put the Wing on it's center stand and sat on the bike and don't feel that much different. I am more on the ball of my foot on the center stand. Solo, I run with 15 to 20 PSI in the rear, 2 up maybe 25 to 30PSI.

Has anyone that has done the Austone had any major issues with height?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I'm fine with the added height :wink:

Are you going to mount it up yourself?
Mounting it yourself won't cost anything but some time and I am thinking if you try it and don't like it I'd buy it from you if you switch to something else instead. Maybe try it for a couple weeks 500-1000 miles or so.

If your paying a shop to do the mounting then it may not be worth the extra cost to just try the tire for a few weeks though.

I been thinking about getting another Auston anyway, it won't hurt to have a spare on hand for the 95 just in case.

If you can sit on the bike ok on the center stand then I think the Auston should be fine. The Auston is not that high! I think on level surface with Auston there is about 1/4-1/2" the tire is off the ground, and that is also of course with the rear suspension hanging down with no weight on it.
So with bike on the Austone it is probably 1" lower maybe than when on center stand, depending how much height is effected by rear shock air pressure. I run my rear shocks a bit high at around 57psi I think.

Not sure if I can, but I may try to measure the height difference tonight (if I don't forget) between the 88 with an E3 and the 95 with the Auston.
Although the 88 does not have air forks but the 95 does so that could make a difference also?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My air suspension is in great shape. The front forks when I got the bike had 4 psi in them. I let all the air out and it rides great for me. This weekend, I let the back pressure out to 15 PSI, Sat on the bike while it was on the side stand, then crawled underneath it with a flash light to see the clearance around the Pilot GT that on there now. It seems like I have a few inches (3 to 4) clearance all around the tire to the fender. I got back on the bike and pumped it up to 50 PSI and put it on the center stand, crawled under it again and still had at least 4" of clearance above and around the tire and fender. So clearance wise, I think Im in good shape where as I won't have to run my rear PSI up for any clearance issues. I will have to check to see if I will have to move the from of the rear fender as others have described.

So the only increase in Height that I should have will be the tire itself..... So I should be fine with it. Tire is shipping today so hopefully I can have it on by next weekend.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I put the Austone on my 93 a couple months ago and the additional height didn't bother my 30" inseam but I am having a hard time getting used to the lower revs for any given gear. I feel like I have to down shift a lot more than I used to and it takes more chutch slip to get the bike moving.

I have probably only put about 1200 miles on it so I don't yet know if I will do the CT again in the future or not. I will know better this ime next year!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard this a couple of times now with regard to clutch slip on take off and gearing.

The PO of my bike had Valkyrie cams put on the Wing and re-ported the carbs. I hardly ever use 1st gear, it's almost a waste on this thing. I use second to 30 to 40, third gear 35 to 45 and 4the gear 45 to 65, 5th gear if I am hanging over 55 for any length of time, she doesn't like 5th gear anything below 55 MPH.

So based on the difference, Im thinking the taller tire will help me with at least the first gear take offs.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I don't know about you guys :rolleyes:

I ran my Auston on both 88 1500 and now the 95 1500 and never noticed a any real shifting difference or need to slip the clutch when starting out.
I just ride it as normal like i did both bikes when they had the E3 rears on them.

I do like the lower RPMS though. Sometimes with the 88 I was riding twisties where I wanted the jump up and go effect of 4th gear but felt I was running to hard in 4th all the time at like 50-55mph. At that speed though I felt 5th was not really what I wanted for that type riding.
Though really either gear was fine, I was riding right on the border of which do I prefer to run in. Dropping about 300rpm made running in 4th better for me, but did not really effect the performance of 5th any when I was in it.

With the 95 of course it's a choice of 3rd or 5th since it does not have 4th!
I run 5th just fine around 30mph or 35mph, city and slow rural areas, even with the Auston she has plenty of move along power and not lugging, though of course she does not JUMP if I crack the throttle at 30mph in 5th but she does do well. If I want her to JUMP at 30mph I just down shift to 3rd and run. The Auston is doing well on her also.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Been running the Austone since spring and quite happy.
Don't notice the extra height, but I'm fairly tall.
Really like that it dropped the rpm's a couple hundred at highway speed and little quiter than the Metz 880's on there before.
Not much change other wise, just when installing to remember to ove the inner swing arm mud flap forward a bit. I went a little further, upon ready about rubbing on upper inner fender liner, I used a heat gun to push back some ridges up there to further reduce any potential rubbing if bottoming out.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe I have plenty of room on the top of the wheel well based on having several inches of clearance now. I still haven't seen the front mud flap or an issue with any area in the front, but Im sure I will see more once I get it torn apart and the Austone in there.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
re: tire

JObe5: If you have problems with the height, you might consider the Federal Formoza, which will actually lower the bike by a fair amount. I have been running one or the last 3 years or so.. the only drawback is that the bike is lowered enough that I have to carry a piece off 1x 6 to back the rear wheel onto in order to get the bike on the centerstand.
Mike Mullins

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, that was a choice, but the lesser height is a concern on a couple levels. The lower seat height would have been a plus, but the added RPMs, the center stand is already hard to get on and off now, and the lower gearing, easier take off's what ever you want to call it would be worse than now, as said before, first gear is almost non existent on this wing. I do many starts in 2nd or 3rd. I have done starts from a complete stop, 2 up, starting up hill with a left hand turn in 3rd gear and it did it...... Allbeit there was some clutch work involved and it wasn't intentional........ A smaller tire had more cons for me that a larger one. Not sure what the actual difference is going to be yet..... But I suspect not much, but if it is, I would try that tire, or just stick with an E3

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I tried the Austone, it was not for me. You can read about it here:

http://okiemom6.blogspot.com/2012/05/return-from-darkside.html

I'm glad I tried it, it was an interesting experiment (thought short lived), but ultimately it was not for me.

I recommend that you search the forum and read all of the opinion concerning the Austone before you install it.

Ed

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read a lot about it for the past year. I have rode with Dusty, following and watching and his seems to hold true, stable and will take a curve scraping the seat on the road..........

I read your feedback on your experience and your friend, don't know what the difference is/was. I like the idea of a softer ride and more miles....... Im sure there wil be a different feel to it and a break in period, but Im game.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I tried the Austone, it was not for me. You can read about it here:

http://okiemom6.blogspot.com/2012/05/return-from-darkside.html

I'm glad I tried it, it was an interesting experiment (thought short lived), but ultimately it was not for me.

I recommend that you search the forum and read all of the opinion concerning the Austone before you install it.

Ed
Yep, I remember that, I think you and DingDong (was it) tried an Auston about the same time and neither of you liked it. So far I think your the only 2 that have tried it and not liked it though of all of us running them.
The only 2 I have read of anyway.

I like mine so much I went to all the trouble of removing a still decent E3 (but older) and took the Auston off the wrecked 88 and mounted it on the 95 now.
Remove and install 2 rear 1500 wheels, dismount and mount 2 tires by hand, and the one I wanted to run already had about 10K or more on it. Man that's allot of work to do!
You know I like mine! :grin:

I wish I could have tried those tires you 2 did not like, if it was the tires or the bikes or if you just did not like them would be nice to know.
I rode on a front tire at only 35PSI today about 100 miles, you know that should be plenty of air but my 1500 was really not handling as well as normal! If I had been testing any rear tire I would not have like it as it felt like the rear was off in the handling.
I aired the front tire up to 42psi as normal and the bike handled great again as normal!
Had nothing to do with my Auston, though with lower air in front it was feeling like the problem was often in the rear. I never changed the Auston PSI or anything else other than front tire PSI.

And yes, I did know the front was only 35psi when I was riding, I did it for a couple reasons, one being I am hoping to change the wear pattern a bit running different PSI at times for different wear and not always the same wear at same PSI.
My front was starting to cup just a little when I took it off the 88.
I am hoping that running 45PSi down to 35PSI will smooth out the cupping some. I should have at least another 10K left in the front tire based on tread depth or maybe 15k, but if it cups up bad before that then it goes in the trash of course.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
Another big +1 on the Austone. I have had NO issues at all. At first I had an occasional rub, but solved that with a zip tie and 5000 miles later I am all smiles.
I have been running mine at about 46 psi and been very happy, I keep around 40 psi in the rear air unless my daughter is on board with me, then I bump it up to 45 or 50, though I think it would still be just fine at 40.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I have read a lot about it for the past year. I have rode with Dusty, following and watching and his seems to hold true, stable and will take a curve scraping the seat on the road..........

I read your feedback on your experience and your friend, don't know what the difference is/was. I like the idea of a softer ride and more miles....... Im sure there wil be a different feel to it and a break in period, but Im game.

I love the part about scrapping the SEAT on the road LOL
Yea, Dusty could maybe do it.

One of the things to remember about lowering the bike a bit with a Formosa tire is that as Dusty said it can bottom out more on speed bumps etc.. and it will probably drag pegs sooner in twisties also.
I think that was part of the reasons Dusty did not like the Formosa and went to the Auston.

I think you wil like the Auston, I know since I had started running one on the 88 I got into some places that I had not liked the E3 I took off but with Auston I did drag pegs and that was even with the wing being a bit taller!
The turns seemed spooky with the E3 and bad road repairs and I never took them hard enough to drag pegs with the E3 but was still spooked by wobble handling over the repairs..
I am not so aggressive rider on twisties but I found with the Auston I do take some a bit harder now.

Without details, I will say in a 55mph mostly unused road with good visibility the E3 rear spooked me in a couple turns with those bad road repairs at 50mph, but with the Auston I think nothing of taking the same turns at 65MPH! Ya, sure I still am slowing down for those turns LOL but with about 1 mile visibility for most of a 50 mile ride I do not ride like grandma!
Course I won't say what roads in case a local Leo is reading LOL

One spot coming back from the shop is a right turn/curve Yield intersection and often has loose gravel from a store drive though the road is well paved. I slipped the E3 once in the loose stuff maybe 25-30mph, I don't worry so much about it now with Auston and have taken the turn 35mph+ and no slips yet.
About a mile clear vision for on coming traffic so being a Yield intersection in a 45mph zone I don't need to slow any more than I feel the loose gravel is safe. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Installed the Tire today, That was one of the hardest tire changes I have ever done........ Just a tight fit! and a lot of plastic to come off.

Took it for a ride, it was great! Put the shock pressure from 10 PSI to 45 PSI and nothing rubs. I didn't move or tie anything back on the fender and it seems to be fine. I hit a couple dips in the road, and again, nothing hit or rubbed.

Heres a picture front underneath, looking up on the front side of the tire and fender.

So far, I like it, it rides like any other tire so far. I don't notice any difference in cornering or handling, however, I have only been around the roads in our development that we live in, not on the open road or highway yet.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,286 Posts
Where is the picture?

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You don;t see the pictures?? I see them.

I failed to mention that I used my new MC Jack from HF and I can honestly say, that thing is worth it's weight in gold! I positioned it under the bike, jacked it up, put the ratchet straps on, and finished jacking it up. As I jacked it up, the ratchet straps would get tighter since they are on the bottom frame of the jack, so it was nice and sturdy...... Money well spent!

Been riding it a little, got the rear pressure to 48 PSI, when I thought it was originally at 48, it wasn't, I used a bad guage that read 48 but was really 40..... So I double checked this morning, pumped it up to 48.5 and it rides great. I did put the front E3 to 41 but not to happy with that, so Im going to lower the pressure to 38 and see what that does.

Very happy with the Austone. First gear now feels like first gear, RPS are lower. I can actually run 35 MPH in third comfortably at 2800 RPMs were as before it seemed like it was reving to high. 55 MPH is around 2400in 5th and 70 is around 2900 to 3000.

My original concern, and reason for this post was the added height with my short legs. I can feel the height difference with the center stand and the added lean on the side stand, but I really don't notice a difference when sitting on it.

The tire does hide or absorb the bumps though. I was hitting some rough surfaces with small holes and I could feel it hard in the front, but felt nothing with the rear tire.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.