Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I'm fine with the added height :wink:

Are you going to mount it up yourself?
Mounting it yourself won't cost anything but some time and I am thinking if you try it and don't like it I'd buy it from you if you switch to something else instead. Maybe try it for a couple weeks 500-1000 miles or so.

If your paying a shop to do the mounting then it may not be worth the extra cost to just try the tire for a few weeks though.

I been thinking about getting another Auston anyway, it won't hurt to have a spare on hand for the 95 just in case.

If you can sit on the bike ok on the center stand then I think the Auston should be fine. The Auston is not that high! I think on level surface with Auston there is about 1/4-1/2" the tire is off the ground, and that is also of course with the rear suspension hanging down with no weight on it.
So with bike on the Austone it is probably 1" lower maybe than when on center stand, depending how much height is effected by rear shock air pressure. I run my rear shocks a bit high at around 57psi I think.

Not sure if I can, but I may try to measure the height difference tonight (if I don't forget) between the 88 with an E3 and the 95 with the Auston.
Although the 88 does not have air forks but the 95 does so that could make a difference also?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I don't know about you guys :rolleyes:

I ran my Auston on both 88 1500 and now the 95 1500 and never noticed a any real shifting difference or need to slip the clutch when starting out.
I just ride it as normal like i did both bikes when they had the E3 rears on them.

I do like the lower RPMS though. Sometimes with the 88 I was riding twisties where I wanted the jump up and go effect of 4th gear but felt I was running to hard in 4th all the time at like 50-55mph. At that speed though I felt 5th was not really what I wanted for that type riding.
Though really either gear was fine, I was riding right on the border of which do I prefer to run in. Dropping about 300rpm made running in 4th better for me, but did not really effect the performance of 5th any when I was in it.

With the 95 of course it's a choice of 3rd or 5th since it does not have 4th!
I run 5th just fine around 30mph or 35mph, city and slow rural areas, even with the Auston she has plenty of move along power and not lugging, though of course she does not JUMP if I crack the throttle at 30mph in 5th but she does do well. If I want her to JUMP at 30mph I just down shift to 3rd and run. The Auston is doing well on her also.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I tried the Austone, it was not for me. You can read about it here:

http://okiemom6.blogspot.com/2012/05/return-from-darkside.html

I'm glad I tried it, it was an interesting experiment (thought short lived), but ultimately it was not for me.

I recommend that you search the forum and read all of the opinion concerning the Austone before you install it.

Ed
Yep, I remember that, I think you and DingDong (was it) tried an Auston about the same time and neither of you liked it. So far I think your the only 2 that have tried it and not liked it though of all of us running them.
The only 2 I have read of anyway.

I like mine so much I went to all the trouble of removing a still decent E3 (but older) and took the Auston off the wrecked 88 and mounted it on the 95 now.
Remove and install 2 rear 1500 wheels, dismount and mount 2 tires by hand, and the one I wanted to run already had about 10K or more on it. Man that's allot of work to do!
You know I like mine! :grin:

I wish I could have tried those tires you 2 did not like, if it was the tires or the bikes or if you just did not like them would be nice to know.
I rode on a front tire at only 35PSI today about 100 miles, you know that should be plenty of air but my 1500 was really not handling as well as normal! If I had been testing any rear tire I would not have like it as it felt like the rear was off in the handling.
I aired the front tire up to 42psi as normal and the bike handled great again as normal!
Had nothing to do with my Auston, though with lower air in front it was feeling like the problem was often in the rear. I never changed the Auston PSI or anything else other than front tire PSI.

And yes, I did know the front was only 35psi when I was riding, I did it for a couple reasons, one being I am hoping to change the wear pattern a bit running different PSI at times for different wear and not always the same wear at same PSI.
My front was starting to cup just a little when I took it off the 88.
I am hoping that running 45PSi down to 35PSI will smooth out the cupping some. I should have at least another 10K left in the front tire based on tread depth or maybe 15k, but if it cups up bad before that then it goes in the trash of course.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I have read a lot about it for the past year. I have rode with Dusty, following and watching and his seems to hold true, stable and will take a curve scraping the seat on the road..........

I read your feedback on your experience and your friend, don't know what the difference is/was. I like the idea of a softer ride and more miles....... Im sure there wil be a different feel to it and a break in period, but Im game.

I love the part about scrapping the SEAT on the road LOL
Yea, Dusty could maybe do it.

One of the things to remember about lowering the bike a bit with a Formosa tire is that as Dusty said it can bottom out more on speed bumps etc.. and it will probably drag pegs sooner in twisties also.
I think that was part of the reasons Dusty did not like the Formosa and went to the Auston.

I think you wil like the Auston, I know since I had started running one on the 88 I got into some places that I had not liked the E3 I took off but with Auston I did drag pegs and that was even with the wing being a bit taller!
The turns seemed spooky with the E3 and bad road repairs and I never took them hard enough to drag pegs with the E3 but was still spooked by wobble handling over the repairs..
I am not so aggressive rider on twisties but I found with the Auston I do take some a bit harder now.

Without details, I will say in a 55mph mostly unused road with good visibility the E3 rear spooked me in a couple turns with those bad road repairs at 50mph, but with the Auston I think nothing of taking the same turns at 65MPH! Ya, sure I still am slowing down for those turns LOL but with about 1 mile visibility for most of a 50 mile ride I do not ride like grandma!
Course I won't say what roads in case a local Leo is reading LOL

One spot coming back from the shop is a right turn/curve Yield intersection and often has loose gravel from a store drive though the road is well paved. I slipped the E3 once in the loose stuff maybe 25-30mph, I don't worry so much about it now with Auston and have taken the turn 35mph+ and no slips yet.
About a mile clear vision for on coming traffic so being a Yield intersection in a 45mph zone I don't need to slow any more than I feel the loose gravel is safe. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Yep it grabs that road pretty good don't it LOL

Try getting out on some bad roads, ruts, grooved pavement, bad repairs, tar snakes etc.. where the E3 let the rear wonder and felt bad and see if you agree the Austone does so much better on those also!

Try it in a HARD rain or storm also, mine was great! Was more worried about the lighting might hit the antennas on the wing like lighting rods than I was about my rear tire LOL
Now if I only had something as good as the Austone for on the front also then I might try snow and ice this winter LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.