Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for grins and giggles, here are two pics I took today of the Austone tread to demonstrate wear/longevity (ok- and one of the cool looking clouds in front of my house a couple weeks ago- darn attempt at weather manipulation anyway...). They are infrared B&W, but hey, the tire is black anyway. :) I am within 200 miles of an even 11,000 miles on the tire. Maybe 8k of that solo riding, 1.5k towing a trailer (usually two-up) and the rest (maybe 1.5k) two-up with my daughters. I have been running 45-50 psi. As a note, since I installed it last May I have only had to add air probably twice. It is holding up well and to date ZERO complaints.
If you look close you can see the wear bar wwaaaayyy down the tread void. Lots of life to go. Smile per mile cost? About half that of an MC tire monetarily, double it emotionally and practically.
I am guestimating a good 25-30k of safe riding life at this point?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Nice... I only have about 10k on my Metzeler and not much left. The LEAST i have ever gotten from the Metzelers and the price now went up to $213 at motorcyclesuperstore. I believe Metzeler just lost my business and time to try an Austone.
The Austone looks just as rounded or more on the edges as my worn Metzeler, so i don't think it will handle any worse.. lol
4 ounces of dynabeads for Austone?

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
Looks barely used.

Yep that straight line of clouds is definitely weather manipulation. :shock:

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shipped to me I think the Austone was around $175 if I remember rightly. The most I ever got out of an E3 was 18k and even though it had some life left, it was down enough on tread to make me think twice on gravel, etc.
Mine is balanced with lead weights. $17.50 was the cost at the shop.
I have scraped the pegs a couple times, my boots quite a bit (they are slightly beveled from cornering) so not bad for a taller tire which raises the bike's learance and always felt 'planted'. Rain traction (Oregon, remember?) has been spectacular.
As I have said in other posts, I can ride moderate corners (yellow sign recommends 30-50 mph say) one handed with out extra effort, even while sipping my coffee. It feels very much like a MC tire and the learning curve was very rapid.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just for fun, two more pics of the sky that day. I wish the govern White Black Sky Water Cloud

Wave Water White Black Wind wave ment would quit playing at this though.

If it's not OK for me to say that a mod can 'mod'ify the statement for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.