Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What size pulley did most people use for the drive side?
I thought I remembered reading about different sizes but couldnt find it in the archives.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

From what I see the one most poeple are using is a one to one but it should be a little larger than that to keep the alt spinning faster (especially at low revs) 1.2 maybe 1.5

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

2 3/4 inch. 2" on alt. Used v-belt. Made for shorter setup, by about 1/4 inch

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Oops. 3 3/4 inch

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Oregonwinger,
What kind of pulley did you use, besides the V. How did it mount to the crankshaft? Does it slide over the end of the shaft of just bolt to the front? What makes it extend out past the timing covers?
This pulley is the only thing that would keep me from building my own mountings.
Thanks, John

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Sorry to say, I don't really know. I accumulated a bunch from the wrecking yard. I do believe it's from a K car smog pump. Had a hole in the center, then there's 3 small holes in a circle around the center hole. About a 2" circle. Used a spacer, from work. Some Caterpillar spacer. Pulled out of a pile. Wish I could be more specific. Have to get a longer bolt, also. I shoulda documented this project better. Sorry

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

I kinda get the idea. Yes, your answer did help. Thanks.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

PM me with your e-mail, and I can send you a few pictures. This forum don't allow much of a file transfer. They're about 5-600k, so if you're on dial-up, could take a few mins.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Which do you think would be the quietest V belt or the wider type, or do you think it doesnt make any difference.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

I don't think there is much diff. in noise, but the serpentine definitely needs to be tighter, there-by more load on front main. Another reason I went with V, besides it being narrower

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Ok now that sounds like an improvement using the v pulleys. maybe I shall go that route. Did you use steel pulleys or the aluminum type that you could get at a hardware store?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Steel. The crank was some kind of smog pump pulley. K-car possibly. The alt pulley was already on the alt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.