Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having several issues in the past with the fuel shutoff valve on my 2000 Honda GL 1500 Trike, I decided to bypass and remove it completely several months ago.
After reading many comments and concerns regarding hydro-locking and fuel syphon possibilities into the carburetors, several attempts and experimants were made to create similar conditions.
I've found it extremely difficult to produce those same issues do to the fact that the fuel tank sits low under the seat and fuel attempted to be syphoned upwards with an air gap in the fuel filter after shut down made it extremely difficult for any fuel other than what is left in the aft fuel line from the filter to find its way to the carburetors? Also, once the ignition switch is in the off position, engine stopped, there was no fuel supply offered to the carburetors.
I did however experience some fuel residue being forced out of the tank line due to pressure buildup on hot days, but drilling out the pressure relief diaphragm in the fuel cap (another constant issue) solved that problem.
(Note: I did not drill through the cap itself, only the diaphragm which I believe is an emission thing but, no more tank pressure buildup issues or forcing fuel up into the fuel line.)
I'm also thinking that sense this is on a Trike which still has the bank angle sensor which shuts off the engine if needed, there is minimal chance of it falling or leaning over too far so again, there is actually no reason to have the fuel shut off valve that I could see?
I would however appreciate any thoughts or concerns where I may have made a costly judgmental or mechanical error in doing the above mentioned alterations or improvements but, I have yet to experience any issues other than alleviating problems myself and others have had in the past.
Comments welcome please..

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,657 Posts
I just drilled a hole thru the neck of the Filler neck just inside where the cap fits.
and on my '94SE I drilled a hole thru the entire cap exclusive of the outer surface.

Tank pressure problems went away... the only time I ever smelled fuel, was when gassing it up, once on the road, that was gone.

·
Administrator
26,157 Posts
I don't see a problem with it. If one wants a fuel shut off they should install an electric one IMO, either grounded by the BAS or powered off the ignition relay. What Honda should have done in the first place.

Reactions: AZgl1800

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts

Read down …. I have 2 posts with pics there on the subject.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts