Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a flat on my GL1100A. While doing a search on different types of tire to replace it with I ran across some talk about replacing the rear tire on an 1800 with a car type tire. Is this something that I could do with my GL1100 with a 16 inch rear tire? It takes a 140/90/16. I done some searches here but did not come up with anything solid. If so what make tire and the size to ask for. Has to be cheeper than the 119.00 for a new Dunlop Elite 3

The reason I am asking is that I live on a gravel road. 4 miles to pavement. Thinking I might have better luck with the flats on a car tire.

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

There was a post a while back about a guy that does just that and swears by it. Some don't. also there was a movie made with a camera strapped to the under side of the bike showing how the tire looks while turning. Not much contact with the road while doing turns.And theres was talk about if you should wipeout, and it was discovered you were using an improper tire on your bike the Insurance co may not honor your claim.I'll see if I can find the video .,,

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Hidepounder, Loads of information here on the site about running a car tyre and Kit Karson is one of those experienced in doing so, but sadly I believe you will have to treat yourself to an 1800, because without some serious modifications I don't believe it is possible with your bike according to all the postings on other Wings. :(

Just sounds like a darned good excuse for an 1800 to me. :clapper::clapper:;)

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

simply put ,,,,car tire on motorcycle = very bad idea.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

So many discussions about the Darkside.. (CT on MC)

On the Intruder forum there are members who went the dark side with no problems and this is with the 4 to 4 1/2 wide Rims..

The web site I visited showed people that have had the CT on or Between 14,000 to 20,000 miles with no problems for extra safety you would want to buy a run flat tire. a 170/60/16 is recommended by many for problem free riding. some brands have the rounded edges and keeps a good footprint on the curves any motorcycle tire only has a contact area of about 1" wide and the car tires can match that with the proper tire pressure. The Kumho Ecsta XRP (Ku31) is a popular choice. Take a look at all of them the rain tires wear almost as fast as a good Motorcycle tire..

You can do a search for Dark Side in Google and find tons of information.. I am going to check local dealers and see what I can find for mine..

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Victour78 wrote:

On the Intruder forum there are members who went the dark side with no problems and this is with the 4 to 4 1/2 wide Rims..

The web site I visited showed people that have had the CT on or Between 14,000 to 20,000 miles with no problems for extra safety you would want to buy a run flat tire. a 170/60/16 is recommended by many for problem free riding. some brands have the rounded edges and keeps a good footprint on the curves any motorcycle tire only has a contact area of about 1" wide and the car tires can match that with the proper tire pressure. The Kumho Ecsta XRP (Ku31) is a popular choice. Take a look at all of them the rain tires wear almost as fast as a good Motorcycle tire..

You can do a search for Dark Side in Google and find tons of information.. I am going to check local dealers and see what I can find for mine..
Victor are you riding CT on your 1000? If so, will you tell me what size/brand and any tips you have. I ride a 781000 and been researching. Thanks

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

"simply put ,,,,car tire on motorcycle = very bad idea."

Simply put ,,,,If you never did it you have no experiance on which to base on fact but rather a personal choice and opinion.

Simply put, my personal experiance is that it does work on my 1800 with about 19,000 miles with 2 up, pulling trailer on highway, local and Rocky mountain roads. The tread is at 50% and with the pressure at 30 psi (monitored by SmarTire) the ride is smoother than the concrete D250's that came on it. The extra safety factor of the Run Flat Khumo alone is enough for me to at least tried it.

Is it for everyone - No. Some say it is not designed for a motorcycle. However, Honda did not design the bike to pull a trailer or to be Triked yet it is done with no issues.

I hate to rant but it just irks me when people are so opposed to new concepts without facts or experiance to back them up. I bet there are accessories on many motorcycles that the manufacturer did not "design" into them yet they work quite well.

Off the "Soap Box" and flame suit installed and sealed.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

William_86 wrote:
join the dark side, i've heard they have cookies!
Ice Cream and straw berries too. ;):waving: Kit

·
Banned
7,545 Posts
imported post

" Luke,,,,,I'm your father......" D.Vader
I do not have to stick my head in the fire either ,,,"for personal experience".....

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

When someone shows me documented FACT that it is more dangerous than even riding the motorcycle (meaning someone has actually done a fair and impartial study and has real numbers to back up their documentation), then we can say that using a run flat car tire on the back of an 1800 is "a very bad idea".

Until then, the only thing we have is those that have done it and the experience they share (and even our own 1800 Guru states that he does not recommend anyone else do this, that it is your own decision to make, he has only thus far reported his own findings), versus those who have not tried it because they personally feel that it's a bad idea for whatever their reason.

In answer to the original question posted, there is not a radial, run-flat equivalent to the tire used on a GL1100, and I'm pretty sure (read I don't know for a fact) that there is not an equivalent bias-ply car tire that will fit on a GL1100 rim either.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Randy, Looks like you started something... Dark/Light is this beer???
I know this is serious, just being a SA. Sorry. Would like to hear more opinions.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks to all who responded. It seems this is a topic that some have a lot of intrest in. I have my new tire ordered and will be sticking with the Dunlop Elite III. It does not hurt to ask.

Randy

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Hidepounder wrote:
Thanks to all who responded. It seems this is a topic that some have a lot of intrest in. I have my new tire ordered and will be sticking with the Dunlop Elite III. It does not hurt to ask.

Randy
Randy, don't they make a both a radial and bias ply e-III. did you order the bias ply?
Also, I am from Stockton, Ks area (north of Hays), but I am not familiar with your town, where's it near?

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

morriscatt wrote:
Victour78 wrote:

Victor are you riding CT on your 1000? If so, will you tell me what size/brand and any tips you have. I ride a 781000 and been researching. Thanks I have been reseaching them for quite a while . I will let you know what I find that will work...

Mark Gaeth simply put if we didn't try other Ideas wouldn't this be a boring Place...

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

Hmm..... one is called a car tire, and one is called a motorcycle tire. I've never seen a tire rated or labeled car/motorcycle tire. So, please exuse my simple mind. But I recon that a car tire should be used on a car and a motorcycle tire should be used on a motorcycle. What does the car tire mfr's say about putting their product on a motorcycle?

What really entertains me, is.......... some of the guys that run car tires on motorcycles also extoll the virtues of wearing a helmet in the name of responsibility and safety. I agree....... you better have a helmet on if you are gonna put a car tire on a motorcycle. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.