Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Any one know if an automotive ABS pump can be wired to run continuously.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Don't all electric fuel pumps run continuously?

Other than initial start up, they may be only energized for a couple of seconds. Once an engine is running, the pressure switch keeps the pump operational at all times.

The electrical pumps have a paddle wheel or impeller type pump which are basically designed to run continuously to deliver up a max pressure by being self regulating. The other type of electrical pump is external and they are a vibrating/pulsing magnet.

Why?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Foosman(5) wrote:
Don't all electric fuel pumps run continuously?

Other than initial start up, they may be only energized for a couple of seconds. Once an engine is running, the pressure switch keeps the pump operational at all times.

The electrical pumps have a paddle wheel or impeller type pump which are basically designed to run continuously to deliver up a max pressure by being self regulating. The other type of electrical pump is external and they are a vibrating/pulsing magnet.

Why?
Not fuel pump an ABS pump...it pumps brake fluid.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

Sure, they can be ran continuously. Depends on the type as to how much trouble it would be. Most are built into the ABS unit and won't pump anything unless the appropriate solenoid in the unit is powered too. There are some like the early type Hondas that have the pump separate from the modulator.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Might be pushing your luck to run one continuously, I doubt the pump is designed for a 100% duty cycle. Heating may be a problem and pump life would undoubtedly be shortened.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

For the application I have in mind the pump would only have to run for a few minutes at a time.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,152 Posts
imported post

I don't think that brake fluid is going to hurt a fuel pump, but it might. The rubber parts in the fuel pumps might not like the brake fluid, that stuff is corrosive.

The ABS pump motor is designed to deliver a lot of power and fast. It probably will get hot if left on continuously. You might want to monitor the pump's temperature and see how it does.

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

If you would let us know what you have in mind someone might have an idea of how to do it. I am guessing you are going to make a pressure bleeder. If so an ABS pump is way too much pressure.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

if you are going to use it for bleeding brakes, I use a small medical suction pump I found at Goodwill, I have 2 different catch bottles, one for DOT automotive brake fluid, one for 5606 aircraft hydraulic oil.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

My guess is that he's going to use it as a "windshield washer" for the car behind him. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
My guess is that he's going to use it as a "windshield washer" for the car behind him. ;)
That is a great idea.:cool: I may have to look furtherinto that myself.:(

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Brake bleeder was what I had in mind, but the windshield washer thing is tempting.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

I use air pressure at work if Im doin brake work on the wheeled equiptment. i have spare master cylinder caps with air fittings & I regulate down to 30 psi & crack the bleaders one at a time. It works well & I dont have to touch the brake pedal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.