Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone here has an Austone Taxi Tire mounted up under his GL1500 and could take a caliper and get me some accurate measurements of the tread width, and at the widest part of the sidewall, how far down the sidewall that bulge is, plus the height of the tire from the rim for me.

I now have the 1500 rear wheel on my GL1200, with an EIII upon it, this tire just barely rubbed the plastic inner fender behind the battery box on the sidewall where it met the tread until I added a zip tie to center the plastic to the tire (which is slightly offset from the bikes inner fender) Obviously other tires would fit better, and I understand that the taxi tire is narrower than the EIII that I have now although taller, I think it would fit OK, but perhaps if I can get exact real life measurements, and some good pictures of the tire showing the sidewall bulge I could hopefully see for myself it this could fit into the 1200 or not.

Dunlop E3 is 26.1" dia. and 6.1 overall width- Doesn't say what the tread with is.... the Austone is 26.9" dia. and 5.5" TREAD width, BUT IS THAT AT THE WIDEST PART OR ONLY AT THE TREAD?

There are some excellent pictures in this thread, but no exact measurements.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...on-forum/374422-austone-taxi-tire-1500-a.html

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Actually, the Austone is both wider and taller than the 1500's E3. The 1500 is a 160, the Austone a 175 (1.5 cm wider) with the same aspect ratio (80%).
The supplier could give exact. The first number, 175, is the tire at its widest point and on an 80 series tire the tread will be narrower than that, but I do not have exact numbers. On the 1500 the Austone is around 1/8" froom the swingarm or so. A pretty tight fit.
Do not know if this helps, but info for ya!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Hey needs mounted dimensions, not unmounted as what the manufactures give.

He is(any gl1500) speaking of it mounted on the 3 1/2" wide rim.

And he has the 1500 rim on his 1200 so the 1/8" doesn't apply to his situation.

He needs you to physically take dimensions.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tread on the Austone is only 5.5" wide where as the EIII is well over 6" wide plus a lot wider half way up the sidewall. I know the Austone says it is 175, but on the narrow rim (3.5" it sits narrower than that at the beads, and only 5.5" at the tread, what I need to know is mounted upon this rim what is the rest of the tire measuring, and at what point of the sidewall. On my 1200 the swing arm and fenders are less forgiving than the 1500 but even so the EIII does just fit in there, and from all descriptions I have read of the Austone on that rim it was narrower than the EIII but taller and more rounded on the tread than the other car tire options.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I guess what I was saying is it is larger than the E3, so if the E3 is tight, this might be too tight.

My calipers only go out to 6" so I am unable to get hard numbers for you, but I did my 'best-guess' using my eye-ball-o-meter past the 6" limit as I have a mounted E3 (my old one still mounted on the old wheel) under the carport to compare with the Austone on the bike.
As for the E3, the widest point is at the tread where it joins the sidewall, and appears to be about 6 1/4 inches. The Austone tread is under 6 as mentioned, but mounted the widest point due to sidewall bulge (with the bike on the centerstand) appears to be about 1/4" wider than the E3.

Again, not 'hard' numbers, but I have both. You are only one state away, just ride on up here and take a gander. It's like, 3" on a map is all.
:ROFL:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I guess what I was saying is it is larger than the E3, so if the E3 is tight, this might be too tight.

My calipers only go out to 6" so I am unable to get hard numbers for you, but I did my 'best-guess' using my eye-ball-o-meter past the 6" limit as I have a mounted E3 (my old one still mounted on the old wheel) under the carport to compare with the Austone on the bike.
As for the E3, the widest point is at the tread where it joins the sidewall, and appears to be about 6 1/4 inches. The Austone tread is under 6 as mentioned, but mounted the widest point due to sidewall bulge (with the bike on the centerstand) appears to be about 1/4" wider than the E3.

Again, not 'hard' numbers, but I have both. You are only one state away, just ride on up here and take a gander. It's like, 3" on a map is all.
:ROFL:
You can measure the wheel while its on the bike by putting 2 straight edges(boards), 1 on either side of the tire, clamped together through the wheel or held and another peeps to measure the width of the tire mounted.

My Vredestein measures 6 5/16" at the widest point which is on the sidewall which is @ 2 5/8" measured from the rim, total height measured mounted is @ 25 1/2"

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Keep in mind my ten-year-old daughter helped me and it was darkish, but I measured right at 6 1/2 inches.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Hey unionjk...I have a 1500 rim in my garage waiting to install on my 1200...already have the 1500 drive unit in.
When I was checking out tire situations...I found out that the 150/80-16 tire was a better fit under the 1200...no rub like the 160.
By the way....did you notice much height difference with the 1500 set up??
That's what's been holding me back from installing the 1500 rim.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey unionjk...I have a 1500 rim in my garage waiting to install on my 1200...already have the 1500 drive unit in.
When I was checking out tire situations...I found out that the 150/80-16 tire was a better fit under the 1200...no rub like the 160.
By the way....did you notice much height difference with the 1500 set up??
That's what's been holding me back from installing the 1500 rim.
Thanks.
Yes I did notice a slight height difference, not so much that the bike leans more on the side stand, but I can see over the windshield slightly better than before. The freeway RPM also dropped around 200-250 at 80mph.

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.