Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1996 Wing with a auxiliary fuel tank in the right saddlebag. It has an extra hose from the aux tank hooked to the lip sticking up out of the tank. There are two fittings on the lip..one for the red vent hose and the other for the hose from the other tank.

So, now I m getting gas fume smell. Wife commented on it tonight, which means "IT'S TIME TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!" (..I m sure you all know what I m talking aboot!") :)

Anyway, I really cannot pinpoint where the smell is originating from but would like to know if there are any others out there with an aux tank set up and could offer some suggestions.

Thanks,eh?

Brad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Have you already checked the fuel cap and petcock? They are apparently the most common cause of petrol fumes on the GL1500.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
A few years ago I eliminated a fuel smell by cutting a few millimetres off the red hose. Yours looks a bit frayed too...maybe worth a try?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
That gas smell may have nothing to do with the aux tank... many 1500's leak from the petcock, float bowl drains & flange gaskets.

Why not remove the aux tank (and temporarily plug the inlet to the bike tank's filler neck), to isolate that concern?... eg If the smell goes away, then the problem is with the aux tank; otherwise look further at the bike itself.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
I don't see any...

Looking at the pictures your feul overflow tray seems dry (dusty even) so I do not suspect the petcock is leaking (it would show up).

The gasket on the fuel cap is cheap and easy to replace...that MAY be a place to look...

Check the added in filler hose as it goes through the filler neck...that is not OEM and may be leaking fumes...

When you smell gas is it after a ride...?

Sometimes when the tank is low the engine heat can heat the fuel in the tank as it sits directly ABOVE the engine. This can cause expansion of the fuel and releasing fumes that exit the vent and you can smell it... Perhaps with the AUX tank you are accustomed to parking the bike with little fuel in the main tank as you are carrying extra fuel in the saddlebag...

Chasing fumes like this is almost as frustrating as electrical gremlins....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the feedback. :)

Oh..the smell does not go away. It's constant. I m going to start by checking all of the fuel line connections.

Any suggestions on the best quality latest and greatest fuel line clamps?

Brad

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
You can use a shop vac to pressurize the tank and spray soapy water solution around all fittings. My aux tank was leaking around filler plate. DO NOT SUCK FUMES INTO A SHOP VAC,IT CAN EXPLODE!!! use the blower side only.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
If this little bit is like the one I had, the filler neck tht has the lines running through it is actually an added on part to the OEM filler neck (like an extension) that is snappen on the same way as the OEM cap (meaning you can unscrew it with a half turn) -- sometimes there's one screw to hold the add on part stationary, but as oyou pull the main cap off, it's not uncommon to have this extension come a bit loose now and then...

Gently hang onto the vent and fill line nipples on the extension and see if that bit is held fast adn tight to the OEM filler neck. Could be as easy as that.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Curious...

So...How does it work...
Is there a Fuel Pump in the Aux tank to pump the gas into the main tank to then be pumped to the engine by the main tank system..?

Do you activate the Aux tank while onboard and moving..?
How much extra fuel do you carry..?

Just wondering...

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
So...How does it work...
Is there a Fuel Pump in the Aux tank to pump the gas into the main tank to then be pumped to the engine by the main tank system..?

Do you activate the Aux tank while onboard and moving..?
How much extra fuel do you carry..?

Just wondering...
Yeah...what he said!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The smell IS coming from the aux tank area. Will check that out tomorrow.

The tank holds somewhere between 3-4 gallons, I d guess. Haven't had it long enough to find out.

The aux tank pumps fuel to the main tank actuated by the bottom switch in the pic of the right dash compartment.The others two switches are for the electric tilt on the sidecar and the third is for to open the door on the sidecar.

If I left off the compartment door, I could pump while driving.

Thanks everyone, for your responses.

Brad

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Neat looking bike/sidecar setup!
Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
541 Posts
looks identical to mine. Mine holds 5 gallons, wish i could find another tank just like this one for a wing i may be buying

·
Registered
3 Posts
1997 GL1500 extra tank question

I know this is an old post. Looks like I have a similar set up...I can't find a switch to activate my spare tank. Anyone have any advice on where it could be or if there is something else I should be looking for?

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
what do those switches do? lights? pumps?
Looks like fuel pump is inside the aux tank. Look in front of tank on the fuel line- is that a shutoff valve? Where does that fuel line go?

Logic would say one power switch overrides stock fuel pump and the other sends power to the aux tank pump??
Short of finding a fuel line T valve in easy reach- Im thinking switches is the answer

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know this is an old post. Looks like I have a similar set up...I can't find a switch to activate my spare tank. Anyone have any advice on where it could be or if there is something else I should be looking for?
There will be an inline pump some where, the possibility of an intank pump is slim. Both of mine have pump, one on top, the other in front of the tank. Instead of being 5 gallons as I first thought they are 4 gallon

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
So, find the pump, follow the wires. Or possibly there is a switch that is not factory that apparently does nothing?
Follow the wires on it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.