Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here ya go for those that travel a lot. A 1500 with an aux fuel tank mounted in the right side saddle.

On Ebay now for sale with a trailer added.

http://tinyurl.com/6p8xa6

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Problem is, if I travelled enough to need that, I'd need the saddlebag for clothes. Although, there is a trailer for that. Also, I need a reason to stop for a rest every couple hundred miles and gas is a good excuse. :cooldevil:

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

It would probably be a pain to do, but I wouldnt want that extra weight on one side. To split it up on two sides, but then you would have to figger out how to draw them down uniformly...

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:I looked at it on Ebay and the capactiy of the aux tank is about 4 gallons which is 24 pounds and with the weight of the tank and the associated wiring etc. the total weight probably exceeds the load limit of what the saddle bag was designed to hold.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've seen photos of some custom jobs made to sit on the rear seat with straps tying it down.

I think those are mostly for the IBA guys who want to extend their range between fillups.

I've been kicking around the idea of one that is permanent under the luggage box. Three or four gallons would be plenty.

On most of their rides they want documentation every 350 miles just to keep a detailed record of the trip for certification.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

My first thought on seeing that is----FIRE---- It is not very protected, and would most likely result in a ball of flames is the bike ever went down and skidded, or got hit there.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

What a lot of people don't realize is that auxiliary fuel tanks on motorcycles are illegal in almost every state. of of course some one outside of the US probably wouldn't have a problem.

I'm betting that's why it's concealed in the saddle bag. I guess someone would have to know it's there for it to be a problem.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I used to have one in the 70s mounted on the front forks for touring Canada. It was sold as an aux [gas-proof] watertank forbikes with radiatorsONLY & came with a simple T fitting to hook up to fuel line. Worked great.

I 'could' put one in my extra trunk & be centered...

Attachments

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
What a lot of people don't realize is that auxiliary fuel tanks on motorcycles are illegal in almost every state. of of course some one outside of the US probably wouldn't have a problem.
I never heard of aux tanks being illegal. Where would you look to find out what States have this law? IB riders from every state have them mounted on their bikes in plain site. Al

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Me personally, I need to get off the bike every couple of hours to stretch. An extra 4 gallon of gas wouldn't do me any good.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I get 200 out of my 1200 with out much worries. I would like to get 300 with the aux tank added so I could do one leg of an iron butt before stopping.

You're supposed to get a receipt of some sort at the turning point and unless you're doing a mad dash up the super slab the 300 would easily make the turns a one tank deal.

I know it doesn't seem like much of a savings but think of 15 minutes a stop getting gas.

With five stops to do 1000+ then you are looking at 75 minutes getting gas. That time is what makes your speed of 70 on the road more like a 60 average.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I think its a great Idea what some folks don`t but to each his own I have ridden with a guy here in Colorado who had his trunk as a fuel cell he said he could get about 425 miles on his bike ! but like I said to each his own !!!!

·
Slow Learner
1,485 Posts
imported post

What is the rush?? The Wing ain't for hurrying, it's for touring. If I'm in that big of a hurry that I don't want to stop for fuel I'll take the minivan and let the Hag drive while I grab a nap! hahahahahaaa

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

QDaddy wrote:
What is the rush?? The Wing ain't for hurrying, it's for touring. If I'm in that big of a hurry that I don't want to stop for fuel I'll take the minivan and let the Hag drive while I grab a nap! hahahahahaaa
It's not about the rush. It's about the challenge. And believe me, when you start doing 15 plus hours in the seat. You want it to be a comfortable seat!! :cheeky1:

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

If you can't sit in the saddle for 300+ miles you aren't going to do a 1500 mile/24 hour IB ride. The Saddlesore is the easiest run the IBA has and is not the measure of endurance riding. There are riding groups that do the saddlesore as a fun weekend experience. Try 3000 miles in 3 days.Too much stopping after the second day is actually more exhausting than longer runs. But like I said these rides require conditioning and training before attempting them and the aux fuel tank is immperative.If you have bad knees and back and need to stop, you aren't going to do endurance runs,everyone has their own reasons for riding. Al

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I did 2500 miles in 2 1/2 days in one week end. Spartanburg, SC to Ft. Worth, Tx. Didn't keep track of anything, didn't know about IB runs back then.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
I did 2500 miles in 2 1/2 days in one week end. Spartanburg, SC to Ft. Worth, Tx. Didn't keep track of anything, didn't know about IB runs back then.
WOW, 500 miles and 12 hours away from documenting one awesome ride, but Kudos from me on a job well done. 3000 in 3 is the best i've ever done and that is gruelling, 2500 in 2 1/2 days is one awesome ride too. One of the things that make the IB rides more difficult is documentation as was mentioned here. Every change of roadneeds documentation of some sort which puts pressure on and makes the ride more intense. As you get into certain areas of the Country fuel stops can be a bit farther apart than expected and this is where the AUX gas tank comes into play.With a AUX tank youcan plan to run 200 miles per stop, then start looking for fuel. I've done it and it was an extra 30 miles before I hit an open station at night and Aux fuel kicked in. Anyway, that had to be one great ride, congrats and remember you did it and got back safe and sound. Al

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

Yep sheriff, you did a good ride with that 2 1/2 days. Alot of people look at it as crazy, but they do the same thing with mountain climbing, sky diving and scuba diving in a cave.

Each to their own.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,661 Posts
imported post

I can't even ride 12 hours in a car, let alone do it on a bike.

My rule is 2 hours max and get off that thing and take a walk, My legs get to hurting about 90 minutes into the ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.