Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a set of Avon Cobras on my 08 Wing that were put on at the same time in june. The bike has been wobbling at slow speeds ever since. Brought the bike back to the Honda shop that mounted the tires to see if it was a balancing issue or a defective tire. The tires now have 5,000 miles on them and the back tire has a 1.5 inch section that is bulging and coming apart.

Previous to bringing it to the shop I called Avon Motorcycle USA and talked to "Ski". I explained the wobble to him and he said the tires were probably not balanced correctly. He told me to bring the bike to the honda shop and have them re-balance the tires and check them to see if there was something wrong with them. Ski assured me that HE would replace any defective tires free of charge.

After talking to the tech at the honda shop I called Ski back and told him the rear tire was defective. Ski then went back on his word to replace the defective tire and told me I would have to deal with the place where I purchased the tires. What a load of crap!!! Watch out for these guys at Avon Motorcycle USA, they are full of it! If you have to deal with Ski for any reason don't believe a word he says.

I called tiresunlimited.com where I bought the Avons and explained the situation to "Bill". Bill gave me some options including sending the defective tire to them for a credit considering tread wear. What we finally came up with is a new set of stones for his cost, G709 front, G702 70 rear. Saved me shipping the old tire to him. I saved about $90 on the set, and will never run any Avons on anything again.

The tires have 5,000 miles on them so I was expecting a credit of some kind to begin with, but when a company rep tells you something he should stand behind it not try and slither out of the situation!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
913 Posts
imported post

Sorry to hear that.I am also running Avon Cobras and so far they are doing fine at 11,000 miles.....jere
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
This is another Avon , a Venom It was on my bike for just under 3000 miles when we saw this.
When I saw this thread I remembered your story Henry,and wondered if you would see the thread. Two Avon's with side bulges is concerning to say the least.

John
 

·
Senior Moment Member
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
imported post

I saw it John, I've gone through two sets of Avon Venoms. The first rear tire I had to replace because of a puncture - probably my fault!! The second one felt fine until about 500 miles before I took the picture. It started to wiggle a little and got progressively worse until we spotted the bulge.

While 2 Avons with bulges is not indicative of a systemic problem it is still enough to make you cautious about purchasing another set.

I will admit they were quiet and rode very well while I had them. But I need to trust the tires I have in order to feel comfortable enough to ride without worrying about them while hard cornering. It is especially important to me when I ride two up as there is a lot more weight on the rear.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Hanko wrote:
I will admit they were quiet and rode very well while I had them.  But I need to trust the tires I have in order to feel comfortable enough to ride without worrying about them while hard cornering.  It is especially important to me when I ride two up as there is a lot more weight on the rear.
Because of the slow speed wobble I never felt completely comfortable with the avons, I will be happy to get them off the bike.
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,841 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
While 2 Avons with bulges is not indicative of a systemic problem it is still enough to make you cautious about purchasing another set.
I agree mostly, but here's my thoughts. The forum has around 30,000 members if I remember correctly. Probably only 5% are very active, being generous, but even if it were 10% that's still only 3000. Out of those how many do you suppose have run Avons? My guess from the posts I've seen would be maybe 10%, and that's again probably pretty generous. When tire threads come up, E3's tend to be the majority mentioned by members. Now we're getting to some relatively small numbers, and out of those, 2 are reporting a serious tire bulge issue. I did a quick Google search and apparently there have been some bulge issues with Avons in the past as well, although Avon has been quick to downplay it. Combine this with a report of less than satisfactory factory support and it's enough for me to shy away from that brand. That said, the only reports I did find were related to the Avons made for the 1800, so it would not affect me at this point. JMHO

John
 

·
Senior Moment Member
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
Hanko wrote:
While 2 Avons with bulges is not indicative of a systemic problem it is still enough to make you cautious about purchasing another set.
I agree mostly, but here's my thoughts. The forum has around 30,000 members if I remember correctly. Probably only 5% are very active, being generous, but even if it were 10% that's still only 3000. Out of those how many do you suppose have run Avons? My guess from the posts I've seen would be maybe 10%, and that's again probably pretty generous. When tire threads come up, E3's tend to be the majority mentioned by members. Now we're getting to some relatively small numbers, and out of those, 2 are reporting a serious tire bulge issue. I did a quick Google search and apparently there have been some bulge issues with Avons in the past as well, although Avon has been quick to downplay it. Combine this with a report of less than satisfactory factory support and it's enough for me to shy away from that brand. That said, the only reports I did find were related to the Avons made for the 1800, so it would not affect me at this point. JMHO

John
You bring up some good points John, I hadn't thought of the problem based on the typical number of users in the forum that are active.

While I liked the way they rode and handled I stopped using Avons because of the bulge. I used a set of Metzler ME 880's and had the wobble from day 1. Couldn't get the dealer to do anything about it so they came off and I had put on the Avons.

Before that I had used the Dunlop Elite II's and they cupped and wore out in about 3,000 miles. I was putting on 2 plus sets a season.

I took a trip to San Francisco and picked up a screw on the way. I was working downtown and drove to the closest Honda Dealer to pick up a set of new tires. All they had in stock for the 1800 was the Elite III's. I feared for the worst given the experience with the Elite II's. I have to say that I have been very surprised by them, going on my 2nd year with this one set and now getting to about 16,000 miles. They are just starting to wear and they still ride quite well. They were on the bike when we took the ride to Deception Point State Park.

The only way I would put another set of Avons on the bike is if they offered a material and workmanship warranty that lasted the life of the tire tread for a no cost replacement. I hate spending money on a product that when it is shown to be a manufacturing defect the manufacturer will not stand behind their work.

I've given some real serious thought to going over to the "Dark Side"!! for the wing.


edited for spelling
 

·
Senior Moment Member
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
imported post

I'm with you 3rdwing, I want my bike to feel like it is an extension of myself while riding.

I want to be able to hit the twistys and feel confident that I will make it out the other side. I know the wing is not a sport bike but I still enjoy the way it feels to hit the turns on it. If I don't make it out the other side of a turn I want it to be my fault, not the fault of the bike or tires.

Even a small wobble bothers me, I often wondered why Honda did not install a steering damper on the wing. My Moto Guzzi 850 came with one from the factory and I never felt the slightest wobble on it. I was shocked when I felt it with the Metzlers for the first time. I bought a set of All Balls Roller Bearings and will be putting them in over the winter.

As much as we have to pay for tires I think we should refuse to accept anything less than top quality that is backed up by a manufacturer that stands behind their product.

Henry
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Hanko wrote:
As much as we have to pay for tires I think we should refuse to accept anything less than top quality that is backed up by a manufacturer that stands behind their product.

Henry
I agree completely, the manufacturer should stand behind their product, especially when charging premium prices.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
153 Posts
imported post

Hanko, What tire pressure are you running on your Elite III's? 16,000 Miles is AWESOME, and I hope mine wear that well!
 

·
Senior Moment Member
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
imported post

45 in the rear, 41 in the front.

I check them every couple of days..... I know I should check them before every ride. I always check them cold before I ride. I learned the hard way to keep a small compressor with me.

I've never gone this far on a set on the wing before. On my Moto Guzzi I would get about 28,000 out of a set, but both the bike and I were a lot lighter then
:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

The Avon Cobras are off and the new Stones are on. G709 in front and a G702 70 series in back. Running 41 psi front, 44 psi rear. If these don't hold up the Dunlop E3s are next.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
96 Posts
imported post

i have a 07 with dunlops 250's that were on the bike when i brought it new, i now have 17000 miles on the tires, the cupping is just starting. am do for new tires in the spring. but am happy with the mileage
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
690 Posts
imported post

3rdwing wrote:
The Avon Cobras are off and the new Stones are on. G709 in front and a G702 70 series in back. Running 41 psi front, 44 psi rear. If these don't hold up the Dunlop E3s are next.
I have found that the Bridgestone G850 in the 70 series on the rear will far out-perform the Bridgestone G702.

G850.. Higher load rating and speed rating. For me, performance in all conditions is the key. If you are going for long tire ware.......... CT! But Ido not likethe performance of that option.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
535 Posts
imported post

3rdwing wrote:
I have a set of Avon Cobras on my 08 Wing that were put on at the same time in june. The bike has been wobbling at slow speeds ever since. Brought the bike back to the Honda shop that mounted the tires to see if it was a balancing issue or a defective tire. The tires now have 5,000 miles on them and the back tire has a 1.5 inch section that is bulging and coming apart.

Previous to bringing it to the shop I called Avon Motorcycle USA and talked to "Ski". I explained the wobble to him and he said the tires were probably not balanced correctly. He told me to bring the bike to the honda shop and have them re-balance the tires and check them to see if there was something wrong with them. Ski assured me that HE would replace any defective tires free of charge.

After talking to the tech at the honda shop I called Ski back and told him the rear tire was defective. Ski then went back on his word to replace the defective tire and told me I would have to deal with the place where I purchased the tires. What a load of crap!!! Watch out for these guys at Avon Motorcycle USA, they are full of it! If you have to deal with Ski for any reason don't believe a word he says.

I called tiresunlimited.com where I bought the Avons and explained the situation to "Bill". Bill gave me some options including sending the defective tire to them for a credit considering tread wear. What we finally came up with is a new set of stones for his cost, G709 front, G702 70 rear. Saved me shipping the old tire to him. I saved about $90 on the set, and will never run any Avons on anything again.

The tires have 5,000 miles on them so I was expecting a credit of some kind to begin with, but when a company rep tells you something he should stand behind it not try and slither out of the situation!
boy, it looks to me like "ski" just lost a whole lot of business for his company! i know he lost mine! rick
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
imported post

corventure wrote:
I have found that the Bridgestone G850 in the 70 series on the rear will far out-perform the Bridgestone G702.

G850.. Higher load rating and speed rating. For me, performance in all conditions is the key.  If you are going for long tire ware.......... CT! But I do not like the performance of that option.
I considered the G850, but was told that tire would wear quickly. I am looking for a tire that performs well and lasts at least 10,000. If I were to put the G850 on I would be replacing tires 2 to 3 times a year. The stones are my third set this year. First the Metzler ME880 rear that lasted 6,000 miles and was badly cupped on one side (44 psi), then the Avons, front tire cupped (41 psi) back tire buldging (44 psi) after 5,000 miles, now the stones. Hopefully they will last longer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

I'm with you there Rick, he definitely lost any future business from me!

Ken
 

·
Senior Moment Member
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
imported post

I would give Avons another try if they would stand behind their product. I loved how they felt on the 1800. They were quiet, cornered well and from what little I could tell were wearing well up to the point I had to remove them.

But since both you and I could not get them to stand behind their product I doubt seriously that I will be using their tires any time soon. I want to wear the tires out instead of replacing them because of defects!!

I ride about 10,000 plus miles a year and I consider yearly replacements to be to soon. I rode my Motoguzzi for over 190,000 miles and I only went through 5 sets of tires. That was including the tube that gave out and dumped me and the bike on I-5 at 55mph. - My fault for not putting in a new tube when I put on a new tire. - was younger, dumber and poorer.

I have given some serious thought to going to the Dark Side for Safety (Ride Flat) and for the wear so I can ride longer with less maintenance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

The Cobras I had on were cupping front and back at 5,000 miles. The back tire was cupping enough that it was making noise on corners. Then the bulge and then the lacking support. Thats enough for me to stay away from Avon's. Perhaps if Avon would have stood behind their tires I would feel differently.

I'm not ready to consider a CT as a rear tire yet, but there seems to be many who run them successfully.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top