Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK guys. I hate to open this can off worms, BUT, I am thinking about putting a venom on the front of my 1500. I had a guy tell me they do not follow the tar lines in the road and he loves them. I looked them up and there seems to different ones(of the venoms.) Can anyone help me out on which is the best. I can't seem to get ahold of the guy I talked to. And if so where is the best and the cheapest place to purchase one.

Thanks All

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

Choose the tire that has the "Reinforced Sidewall" they have a higher load limit. I have had them for two years and they are great.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

I ranVenoms on my 1500 for a summer. My experience was that they do follow tarsnakes and they wear out real fast. And running 35 or 40 lbs didn't show a big improvement to me. They were nice on curvy roads at speed though.

If you haven't tried Michelin Pilots yet, give them a try. They cost is about the same as the Venoms but imo they handle better especially over tarsnakes, but you'llalso have the fast wear on the pilots too--expect 8-11k with them.

·
Premium Member
61,403 Posts
imported post

There's only one Venom Bias 130/70/18.. I ran one on the front and loved it.. Hot tar snakes will cause any tire to slip or wiggle.. I thought it handled rain groves and cracks well.. Great traction, stuck like glue.. If you push them they well rear fast.. I got 12k and the tire was wore out.. A very quite tire with no cupping.. I changed to a Stone in front and don't like it at all..
I'll go back to a Venom or I may try a Pilot next time around.. I read good reports on the Pilot GT.......

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

You would want the Venom X for the 1500. I don't think you need any more info other than size and speed rating (H or V). They have gotten quite expensive everywhere. Got mine at americanmotorcycletire.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,661 Posts
imported post

I last used Michelin Pilot GTs on my gl1500.

Best tire I ever used. Ignores the tar snakes.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

I'm on my second set of Venom X's on my '83. I got 15K on the last set with a little bit left on them. I run 43lb in the front and 45lb in the back. No cupping, singing, or uncomfortable tracking problems. Run great in the rain. I do however run Ride-On tire sealant in them(both sets) if that makes any difference I don't know. I do know that after sitting for 4 months over the winter, they didn't leak down 1%. I was pleasantly surprised.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

ELKMAN121 wrote:
OK guys. I hate to open this can off worms, BUT, I am thinking about putting a venom on the front of my 1500. I had a guy tell me they do not follow the tar lines in the road and he loves them. I looked them up and there seems to different ones (of the venoms.) Can anyone help me out on which is the best. I can't seem to get ahold of the guy I talked to. And if so where is the best and the cheapest place to purchase one.

Thanks All
hi . i use avon venoms on my 1200 super tyre wont use anything else...regards..jim

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

I have venoms on my 1500 for almost 2 years now.(5k miles and no sign of wear yet) Far better than Dunlops. Not tried the pilots so can't comment on them.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks guys. Looks like I'll give them a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.