Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me the correct air pressures for Avon venom x tyres (GL1500 wing). I have run these at 36 psi front and 42 psi rear since new, as with all my tyres. I recently read a thread on the GWRRA site, where most responses to this question were in the 44 psi front and 46 psi rear range. Is this the correct pressures for these tyres? Any advantages or disadvantages to running at these higher pressures.

All the best

Joe

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

Hi Joe. I had those Avons fitted to my old 1500, they were on the bike when I bought it and no-one knew what the air pressure should be. I got a tyre fitter friend to check it out and he contacted an Avon rep who said 42 front, 46 rear. I did this but I found the reaer tyre didn't grip at all well in the wet at 46psi (rear end wandered all over the road), so I reduced the rear to 42 and the front to 38 and it was a lot better. Not the best tyre I ever had but at the lower air pressure it was a lot better than before.

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

The general view over here is that thowse Venoms are too hard at 46psi, the contact patch is too narrow at that pressure. 42 max would seem to be ideal according to most owners I know that actually ride their GL1500s in anger.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

A tyre rep told me that quite often higher tyre pressures are reccomended in the USA because its more suited to long straight roads, ie no potholes or twisties etc. Thats possibly why lots of people there swear by the 44/46 setup.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
imported post

I only ever had bad luck with Avons. On the CX500, GS550, GL500 (silverwing) they wandered all over the place and were poor in the wet. You would think I'd leart my lesson by the 3rd bike I had tehm on, but the Avons always seemed to be available at good prices and I'm a mug for a "bargain".

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

weewillywing wrote:
I only ever had bad luck with Avons. On the CX500, GS550, GL500 (silverwing) they wandered all over the place and were poor in the wet. You would think I'd leart my lesson by the 3rd bike I had tehm on, but the Avons always seemed to be available at good prices and I'm a mug for a "bargain".
Well I had Avons on smaller bikes under 250cc and not had problems, other than they wander on white lines. I have heard the horror stories as well, but I know loads of Wing owners who used to swear by the Avon Elans.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Well I had Avons on smaller bikes under 250cc and not had problems, other than they wander on white lines. I have heard the horror stories as well, but I know loads of Wing owners who used to swear by the Avon Elans.
are you sure they weren't swearing AT them instead? :D

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I went through 3 sets of avon venoms on my 1500 and I must say the grip in wet and dry was excellent ,,I always felt safe ,,just before I sold my 1500 I had a dunlop 177 fitted to the front and found it very hard and noisy and I never felt as safe as with the avons ,,but really it is all down to personal preference and we are dealing with different climates in each country ,,which makes a HUGE difference to the type of tyres you choose ,,,whatever tyre you have ,make sure it is safe before you drive everyday ,,,cheers:waving: Ciaran

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

I run them ay 42 and 42 best darned tires I've owned...

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

I've got 6000 mi. on my Venom X's on my 1100. I run 40 frt. and 42 rear. They are wearing perfectly, ride nice, are quiet, and don't slip on sealer snakes.:)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
imported post

I am on my 2nd set of Avon Venom X tires on my '99 Wing. I run 45 front and 50 rear with good performance and wear. I had 24,000 on the 1st set, now have about 7,000 on the 2nd set.

I ride a lot of West Virginia mountain roads and have never had an issue with traction etc.

I spoke with an Avon representative in Washington state, he said the tires are a little heavier constructed and they need higher pressure. He endorsed the pressures I run.

A friend of mine (who recommended them) has ran several sets of Avon Vernom X tires on his GL1500, he also runs 45 front and 50 rear with no problems.

Tires are a personal choice and I am quite satisfied with the Avon's.

Your opinions may differ and I have no problems with that..!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,508 Posts
imported post

fatboy wrote:
my avon call for 50.psi on the side for a 1500 that is a lot of air.
But that is not an excessive amount of air.

The tires will wear extremely well if you keep them close to that value. Cupping should be an absolute minimum, which would bode well for them staying in balance.

Dyna Beads or other like product would make them wear "twice as long"** as most tires under similar riding styles.

** Guaranteed by my interferometer :D

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:The recommended tire pressures for theAvon Venomsper the information on the Avon site is: GL1100(the Venoms are available only for the '82-'83's), front-40 psirear-44 psi. GL1200, front-36 psi rear-42 psi. GL1500, front 36 psi rear 42 psi. I have Avons on my '83 Interstate and have put almost 13,000 miles on them and they are wearing great and the handling is super. I run the recommended tire pressures and expect to get many more miles before they need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
imported post

With 24,000 + miles, great performance and wear, I will continue the 45 front and 50 rear. I could have gotten a few more thousand miles from them but I don't let the tread depth get lower than 2/32 inch. Yep, I check tread depth periodically.

Don't believe I would get any better performance and wear from 36 and 42. Matter of fact, I have tested with lower pressures (particularly on curvy roads) and found reduced performance.

Seeing is believing..............!!

Many times, tire manufactures will list pressures that give the most "cushy ride" (particularly on Gold Wing's). They know how Honda advertises the "great comfortable ride" of a Gold Wing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.