Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
57,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here we are, lights went out at 7:00 pm...
the TV lasted about 5 minutes and then the UPS shut down.

The office computer is on a 1500 watt UPS, I shut it down real fast so the UPS will stay up longer for the Internet modem... which is on AT&T LTE....

sure am glad that I ditched that ViaSat internet, super pain in the arse, 1 second delays between pings..... and it would be off the air right now.
My LTE modem only used about 25 watts so we are good to go for a long time I suspect.

Lights are off all over Oklahoma tonight

http://outagemap.psoklahoma.com.s3.amazonaws.com/external/default.html

·
Administrator
24,349 Posts
Have you fired up that fancy generator?

·
Administrator
57,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is safely tucked into the Attached Garage for "safe keeping" :)

not going to bother with it for now, our cellphones are fully charged, we have LED lights and candles burning.

My laptop says it has 5 hours and 3 minutes remaining before it dies.

My Kindle eReader has almost a full charge, and I have a Super Backup power pack for it and cellphones if needed.... it will recharge a cellphone 6 times so not worried.

well hey.................... the lights just came back on as I typed this sentence.

·
Did...did I do that?
128 Posts
Down to just 1500 customers without power. Pretty good response.

We apparently had a couple of funnels near me, up by Coweta and over by Haskell, both about 20 miles away from me, but we didn't get much of anything here at the house. Just over half an inch of rain is all.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
John, I know you have it all under control but last year I saw this and decided to add it to my tax return shopping list. I wanted to study it as a possible guide for making my own out of China parts much cheaper. After getting one and trying it out, I was not only amazed at how well it worked, but how well the Canadians designed it and soon realized that it was well worth the asking price.
After I got it, I went to candles4less.com and ended up getting 100 tea lights for the delivered price of $0.20 each.
It's a little too big and heavy for two wheeled use but with campers and at home they are ideal.
A friend sent me another brand trying to do the same thing cheaper and it was soon found to be little more than a toy compared to this one.
Check it out..

https://www.caframolifestylesolutions.com/product/joi/joi-heat-powered-lamp/

·
Registered
545 Posts
The name Oologah actually showed on the weather map on the Denver local news last night, I guess the weather was banging around pretty good. Glad y'all are ok.

Our lights went out a couple hrs the other night, some idiot hit a power pole... I just got the camping battery out of the garage (a marine deep-cycle) and hotted up a 400 watt inverter. Extension cord into the living room and we had TV and a lamp. Network widgets (cable modem, router, switch) are on a UPS so we had WiFi too. Power wasn't out long enuf to hot up the generator, battery hung in there ok. But my gas can was ready.

·
Administrator
57,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
we had two power outages last night, the first one that I mentioned, and then a 2nd one that was around 4 a.m. and lasted 25 minutes..... must have been a blown fuse at a transformer...

someone posted on the Social Media community page "I heard a Loud Bang", but they did not post where they lived.... people are total idiots, like we can read their post and know where they are???

I asked them " what location? " and no answer.

5 miles north of our house in Talala a woman survived a "minor" tornado that took off part of her roof, the front porch and the siding...... she stayed inside the house, the news never gave us anymore than what I just said.

a "neighbor" 4 miles from me lost their barn, it was a metal structure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts