1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
imported post

The horsepower in those machines are an accident waiting to happen.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Very nice but I will stick to my GW. If I had that kind of HP/torque, I would be collecting a lot of those littlepink slips from law enforcement :cheesygrin:and possibly in the hospital. I guess I will act my age...:needahug: If I had that kind of HP, I definitely want to use it, otherwise why buy it?

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

My sons kaw 636 scares me..........I can't imagine the zoot those top enders have. Let alone a 17-18 yr old on one.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Still, nice to drool over in the showroom. The Kawasaki Ninja is looking a little dated, but I have to admit I still like it.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Not enough ccm for for me, I require 1500....:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

No heated seats, no heated grips, no luggage space, no stereo, no intercom, no sat nag, no thanks. :waving:

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

Oh, to be young again to have the balls to ride these machines! :happy:

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

The seating position being all hunched over rules me and my old bones out but what a thrill it would be . I like the Aprilla!:jumper:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Of those, I've ridden the BMW S1000RR, the ZX14 and the KTM. (All of these on the track, as well as the street).

The S1000RR stands the closest chance of any of them on this list of earning a spot in the garage. But, I agree, the horsepower is insane. That said, they're hella-fun.

The S1000RR mitigates the horsepower with the most sophisticated computer controls (Anti-wheelie, anti-stoppie and ABS, along with sport/street and wet-weather settings on the computer). It is almost cheating.

With that computer control on the S1000 you can be fully leaned, knee-down in a turn, and whack the throttle full-on. The situational awareness of this machine prevents full power delivery (which would be an instant low-side) and instead rolls on more as you become more upright.

Any of these would become track bikes for me. Take em on the road, and I know my driver's license would be a distant memory.

If anything begins to displace my speed triple for track duty it'll probably be the new Speed Triple R.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/2WlyhQy1kns&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

jeffy1500 wrote:
The seating position being all hunched over rules me and my old bones out but what a thrill it would be . I like the Aprilla!:jumper:
Actually, it may be kinda backwards thinking.

I know many people with back problems that sport-bike riding positions are helpful rather than the riding position of harley-esqe cruisers.

If you're speaking from experience, then so be it - otherwise...... try one. :)

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

The S1000RR mitigates the horsepower with the most sophisticated computer controls (Anti-wheelie, anti-stoppie and ABS, along with sport/street and wet-weather settings on the computer). It is almost cheating.

That takes all the fun out of it!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Considering that with a rider aboard those bikes are approaching 3lbs/hp that's impressive. Considering most aircraft are in the vicinity of more than 10lbs/hp, that is indeed impressive. I'd still rather have it in a flying machine though.A bike is second fiddle to something that can do a bit of aerobatics. I do miss doing a bit of yanking and banking once in awhile.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

jeffy1500 wrote:
The seating position being all hunched over rules me and my old bones out but what a thrill it would be . I like the Aprilla!

Actually, it may be kinda backwards thinking.

I know many people with back problems that sport-bike riding positions are helpful rather than the riding position of harley-esqe cruisers.

If you're speaking from experience, then so be it - otherwise...... try one.

I did. In a fit of madness I got a Honda CBR1100 knowing that it was considered a "sports tourer". It was the worst bike acquisition I ever made, I rode the thing three times, probably no more than 40 miles tops and the pain was so bad on both my wrists and neck that I immediately put a for sale sign on it and left it in the driveway for a couple of days. It sold very quickly and I was so glad to see the back of it and put the money towards purchasing another Wing.
That said, I do appreciate that the sports bikes are not designed to be ridden at normal road legal speeds, but are born out of use on a race track. At higher speeds the wind can be used to advantage, to assist violent braking and then to duck down behind missile like fairings to reduce drag.
For me and my damaged spine, sports bike riding is not for me, the upright position of the Goldwing is a winner for comfort, especially with backrest and cruiser pegs added for comfort.

:smiler:

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

jeffy1500 wrote: The seating position being all hunched over rules me and my old bones out but what a thrill it would be . I like the Aprilla! Actually, it may be kinda backwards thinking. I know many people with back problems that sport-bike riding positions are helpful rather than the riding position of harley-esqe cruisers. If you're speaking from experience, then so be it - otherwise...... try one.

The problem for me is my wrists and neck, not my back. I do remember this being a problem even when I was young. Now it's worse because I'm 70 lbs heavier, and 27 years older.

That being said, any one of those bikes would be a great 2nd bike. Just to go out on every once in awhile and have some fun. I promised myself that when I bought my Goldwing I would sell my FZR1000. Well.... I still haven't kept that promise.... I may be old, but do I really have to admit it?

Doug

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

Silverfox and Outlaw pretty much sum up my feeling about riding in the position required for those bikes but on the Goldwing it's therapy for my arthritis!:thumbsup: It's amazing how well I feel after a 100 mile ride!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.