Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 609 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I grew up in the 50s and 60s. We always had Popular Mechanics and Popular Science magazines around the house. Back then these magazines were full of articles about how to build things using materials from around the house and how to repair things. I can remember one article on building a metal lathe out of water pipe fittings. People had less money to spend then, they spent less time watching TV and playing video games. And many of them spent a good deal of time in their shop.

Fast forward to 2010, the economy is still in the tank, millions of people are unemployed and consumer credit is almost nonexistent. Thousands of people have lost their homes not to mention their motorcycles. Most people are very reluctant to go down to the local Honda shop and plunk down 20 grand for a new Goldwing . But there's plenty of inexpensive used motorcycles for sale, and even some free ones. This is an ideal time for someone who can scrape together a little bit of money and has a few basic mechanical skills to build a really decent motorcycle without having to kiss some bankers hinder.

This is basic grassroots hot rodding stuff. It's what I'm fairly good at. What I've never been any good at his writing. I'm dyslexic and can't spell or type worth a damn. One of the great new technologies to come along in recent years is voice recognition software. Now I can talk and let the computer type. Talking is something I'm way too good at so I'm going to try to combine the software and my experience with rebuilding machinery to post a complete build diary of a low-cost, relatively high performance motorcycle

I like to give my projects names, if nothing else it provides a shorthand for describing the project. Given the similarities between now and the 30s I looked at some depression era slang and came up with the name that I think is appropriate. During the depression, the last one, not this one, a lot of bars and ladies whose job it was to encourage the patrons to hang around and buy more drinks. They called them B-girl's, to me it sounds like a great name for motorcycle.

The B-girl will be a GL 1000 with a GL 1200 engine. Built a tight budget with retro styling. I hope you'll follow along as I build it. I'll do my best to provide a clear and accurate build diary and I would love to hear your comments as we go along. We will kick it all off tomorrow with a discussion about preparing the shop and thinking a little bit about the budget. Stay tuned!

Steve

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

This post reminds me of reading my old man Popular Mechanics magazines when he was at work and I was a kid, thinking I can do it all. B-Girl may be a tattoo :)

Predator

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I'm certainly looking forward to watching your progress - I also grew up (but not according to my Wife!) in the 50's and 60's and made stuff from whatever was at hand or begged from the Bin-man as he collected from each house. I still make stuff and rebuild bikes/cars/washing machines/whatever, long after people have given up on them. Would you mind me putting a link to this thread on my hobby web site so that my visitors can share it too?

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Orcadian wrote:
I'm certainly looking forward to watching your progress - I also grew up (but not according to my Wife!) in the 50's and 60's and made stuff from whatever was at hand or begged from the Bin-man as he collected from each house. I still make stuff and rebuild bikes/cars/washing machines/whatever, long after people have given up on them. Would you mind me putting a link to this thread on my hobby web site so that my visitors can share it too?
Of course you can put a link to it on your site. If you PM me with the link to your site I'll add it to the links page on my site which is still under construction but progressing.

Growing up is overrated. The problem I have is that the 60-year-old and the mirror has a hard time getting along with the 19-year-old in my head.

Steve

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

Growing up is overrated. The problem I have is that the 60-year-old and the mirror has a hard time getting along with the 19-year-old in my head.

Steve

Most of the time, you gotta listen to the old guy, but every now and then the 19 year old comes out and we have a little fun.
[/quote]

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
imported post

Well.....sometimes ya gotta grow up a little if even just to satisfy the main squeeze!! I woulda been devorced long before this iffin I hadn't growed up a little, anyway. My wife just thinks the only change in me has been the size & price of my toys. After 39 years of marriage to da same woman, I have learned what I can get away with and what'll put me in the doghouse.

Sounds like a great thread! lookin fowerd to reading it. I hope it comes w/lots of pictures.

Rock on, Dude!!

Mark, AKA the gingerbreadman

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...an appropriate name for a project meant to enticeand encourage others, that they too cando the same. :)

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

This is going to be some good information. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on your $50.00 Goldwing. I keep looking for a cheap motorcycle for a project, just for the experience and would like to see the total for a chep build. It sounds like fun.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
imported post

I too am looking forward to viewing your progress,
I don't know if you remember my post or not but I am the poor soul that bought a 1985 aspy for $350.00 it had been sitting out in the weather for three years. the previous owner had pulled all the plastic and kept it in the garage had most of it repainted bought new leather all the way around. So after I figured out where everything went it looked brand new. Now all I have to do is get her running. I have no interest in a Gold Wing yard ornament. So take lots of pictures and explain everything in as much detail as possible and I can only hope the project will be based around a 1200. I need all the help I can get. My wife thought I was buying a running motorcycle for $350.00 go figure. :baffling:

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

SuperSkypilot... Outstanding !
The oldschool way of building something cool out of leftovers is a skill that has sadly gone away.
With the economy the way it is , you should have many followers with this thread. I know i will be there.
B-Girl , i think i Love You.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

MajicMrEd wrote:
I too am looking forward to viewing your progress,
I don't know if you remember my post or not but I am the poor soul that bought a 1985 aspy for $350.00 it had been sitting out in the weather for three years. the previous owner had pulled all the plastic and kept it in the garage had most of it repainted bought new leather all the way around. So after I figured out where everything went it looked brand new. Now all I have to do is get her running. I have no interest in a Gold Wing yard ornament. So take lots of pictures and explain everything in as much detail as possible and I can only hope the project will be based around a 1200. I need all the help I can get. My wife thought I was buying a running motorcycle for $350.00 go figure. :baffling:
Would be nice to see pic's of your project ride In it's own thread. What does it look like it need's??

·
Administrator
24,404 Posts
imported post

:clapper:Kool!
I am also building an 1100 out of parts I have mostly. Other than a few soft parts and fluids it will be totally out of used parts from other bikes. I figure to have less than $100 bucks in it when it's road ready. Won't be pretty though, I am not painting anything or even cleaning anything much.

1 - 20 of 609 Posts