It's berried back in there somewhere. I CCed the heads and they came out to about 10/1Steve, what compression ratio does your engine have?
I haven't been following your thread.
You are using a 1200 with 1000 heads, right?
Curious as to what CR you ended up with.
Yes you do have to cut a valve relief, at the time I did it that was the big debate now everyone is doing it.Ok. Thanks.
I was following your thread for a bit back when you started it but I got busy with other things.
10:1 (or thereabouts close to it) can be what anyone else should expect if doing this then, correct?
10:1 (thereabouts) is about as high a CR as one should expect to get out of factory parts with minimal machine work (parts swapping between model years, surfacing heads, etc.).
Did you have to do a valve relief cut into the piston's face as I see others doing?
Ok, yes.Yes you do have to cut a valve relief, at the time I did it that was the big debate now everyone is doing it.
That's a lot of oomph. I bought a cheap tester and have 150 all around, cold motor, throttle wide open and a good battery. I guess I should squirt oil in each one and see what it does. It could be the gauge. It sure goes fine. I might see what a good gauge reads too.
Try taking the washers out, that was a fix for only the very early carbs (75 & maybe 76). At any rate it will ether make it better or worse, if it makes it worse try adding more washes and see what you get.To clarify, I have a 142 main instead of 125 and two washers under the needle. Around town and highway riding the plugs are a light tan.
Anyone who thinks they know this, please opine.
Sounds like you got it worked out. I ended up taking one washer out and slightly re profiling the needle, but I'm running early 76 carbs and have the "custom" exhaust. In the end at this stage every bike is a little different and you just have to mess around with it. I wounder if anybody else has built one.Color is about what your pic shows for normal. Your post back a ways said you ran two washers. Tonight I soldered and drilled tge 60 air jets to about 53. It was wet and cool, but in a short run, it didn't bog at all. Spun the back tire easily, but it was not completely dry pavement.