561 - 580 of 609 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
+1 i've seen stuff done here that i haven't seen anywhere else

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have followed this thread for a while. Realy wanted to hear that exhaust. Even made this account just so i could ask for a video with exhaust sound.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
I have followed this thread for a while. Realy wanted to hear that exhaust. Even made this account just so i could ask for a video with exhaust sound.
The bike is waiting for spring to come. When I get it out I see will if I can make a video.
Steve

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Steve, what compression ratio does your engine have?
I haven't been following your thread.
You are using a 1200 with 1000 heads, right?
Curious as to what CR you ended up with.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
Steve, what compression ratio does your engine have?
I haven't been following your thread.
You are using a 1200 with 1000 heads, right?
Curious as to what CR you ended up with.
Thanks.
It's berried back in there somewhere. I CCed the heads and they came out to about 10/1

Steve

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Ok. Thanks.
I was following your thread for a bit back when you started it but I got busy with other things.

Gisted:
10:1 (or thereabouts close to it) can be what anyone else should expect if doing this then, correct?
10:1 (thereabouts) is about as high a CR as one should expect to get out of factory parts with minimal machine work (parts swapping between model years, surfacing heads, etc.).

Did you have to do a valve relief cut into the piston's face as I see others doing?

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
Ok. Thanks.
I was following your thread for a bit back when you started it but I got busy with other things.

Gisted:
10:1 (or thereabouts close to it) can be what anyone else should expect if doing this then, correct?
10:1 (thereabouts) is about as high a CR as one should expect to get out of factory parts with minimal machine work (parts swapping between model years, surfacing heads, etc.).

Did you have to do a valve relief cut into the piston's face as I see others doing?
Yes you do have to cut a valve relief, at the time I did it that was the big debate now everyone is doing it.
Steve

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Yes you do have to cut a valve relief, at the time I did it that was the big debate now everyone is doing it.
Steve
Ok, yes.
I remember you talking of getting a impression of the chamber with clay (or something similar) and that is about where I left off...

Thanks for replying Steve.
I was reading of another who has apparently done the same and found myself trying to balance facts of engine with his claims of resulting performance..

Back-tracking through various forums and threads does lead me here to yours, so I thought to ask of what your CR numbers were. Asking the source...

:) ...thanks again.
CM

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Think how many valves you saved, Steve SSP. I was headed down the path of destruction and luckily you posted the info needed to get it done. I took 0.025 off my heads and have run into no problems yet. I run mostly premium but haven't heard any pinging on regular 87. I admittedly have poor hearing for certain frequencies now. I have been running mine on 1200 carbs, but plan on getting a set of 77's with a 147 main in this week. I don't have the tools or know-how to predict compression ratio. I tried, but I admit, I was ready to just get this mod done and hoped it didn't blow up. I have a 32/36 and type III manifold to mess with later on. It's probably too big, but it was cheap and I just want to give it a try. Lots of guys run them on 1200 Datsun, Honda etc.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Steve, have you ever taken a cranking compression reading with the new setup? If you have what was it?

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Well, I have to agree with Steve on the jetting. I have chased myself in circles thinking it was my carbs when it ended up being a coil. We had enough sunshine for a short albeit cool ride with a 145 main and two washers, and it runs awesome. Not a cough, picks the front wheel up in second gear. Very smooth all the way.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
That's a lot of oomph. I bought a cheap tester and have 150 all around, cold motor, throttle wide open and a good battery. I guess I should squirt oil in each one and see what it does. It could be the gauge. It sure goes fine. I might see what a good gauge reads too.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #574
That's a lot of oomph. I bought a cheap tester and have 150 all around, cold motor, throttle wide open and a good battery. I guess I should squirt oil in each one and see what it does. It could be the gauge. It sure goes fine. I might see what a good gauge reads too.

Mother Honda recommends 140 min. I always do it on a warm engine with a squirt of oil in the cylinder. The reason for doing it on a warm engine is that compression only maters when the engine is running (ie warm) when the engine stopped stopped (ie cold ) compression is about worthless!

Steve

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Well no that the weather has finally warmed up and I've been able to ride, I have issues at putting hammer down from lower rpm taking off. If I hit it hard from a stop or close to a stop it falls on it's face. Then it goes like a raped ape. I thought it was lean, so I swapped a 110 primary air jet thinking it was that fuel jet to help it at lower rpm. That didn't help so I put the 120 back in and tried a 70, instead of 62, primary main jet. That didn't help either.

I know the only safe way is with an O2 sensor, but that's not going to happen. So question to the plug reading experts: If I put the hammer down hard and let it sputter for the second or two, will the plugs tell me what it's doing, lean or rich?

I am thinking it's still the primary circuit as it should take a little vacuum to pull the slides up, but maybe they are getting pulled up right away????

To clarify, I have a 142 main instead of 125 and two washers under the needle. Around town and highway riding the plugs are a light tan.

Anyone who thinks they know this, please opine.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #578
To clarify, I have a 142 main instead of 125 and two washers under the needle. Around town and highway riding the plugs are a light tan.

Anyone who thinks they know this, please opine.
Try taking the washers out, that was a fix for only the very early carbs (75 & maybe 76). At any rate it will ether make it better or worse, if it makes it worse try adding more washes and see what you get.

The plugs should be chocolate brown.

Also check the idle enrichment diaphragm and check for vacuum leaks .

Steve

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Color is about what your pic shows for normal. Your post back a ways said you ran two washers. Tonight I soldered and drilled tge 60 air jets to about 53. It was wet and cool, but in a short run, it didn't bog at all. Spun the back tire easily, but it was not completely dry pavement.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #580
Color is about what your pic shows for normal. Your post back a ways said you ran two washers. Tonight I soldered and drilled tge 60 air jets to about 53. It was wet and cool, but in a short run, it didn't bog at all. Spun the back tire easily, but it was not completely dry pavement.
Sounds like you got it worked out. I ended up taking one washer out and slightly re profiling the needle, but I'm running early 76 carbs and have the "custom" exhaust. In the end at this stage every bike is a little different and you just have to mess around with it. I wounder if anybody else has built one.

Wait until you see the next bike. I will be posting some drawings in a week or two. Think B-Girl's snarky redheaded little sister.

Steve

Steve

561 - 580 of 609 Posts