Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

601 - 609 of 609 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I've been tinkering with my wings and am going to try and re-route the cooling system to eliminate the flat radiator in front, maybe with a couple of smaller radiators in the frame crotch under the seat. ANyone try this yet?
Cheers,
Zaphod

·
Administrator
57,510 Posts
this thread was created back on the original Steve Saunders software.

When Motorcycle.com purchased the forum, they wanted to change it over to vBulletin so that it would be the same software they use on all of their other forums.

Reasoning was that their IT techs could not figure out how the Irish boys coded it in Cobol or something like that :rofl:

so, while the look is much the same: a Contractual Agreement with Steve Saunders before he would sell it........

the actual transistion had a lot of "ah shiits" involved in it...
the first one we found was that they forgot to move the pictures over to the new forum's host, and they all got lost....

pissed all of us off, but it can't be helped. once done, it was fatal.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Well $h!&

this thread was created back on the original Steve Saunders software.

When Motorcycle.com purchased the forum, they wanted to change it over to vBulletin so that it would be the same software they use on all of their other forums.

Reasoning was that their IT techs could not figure out how the Irish boys coded it in Cobol or something like that :rofl:

so, while the look is much the same: a Contractual Agreement with Steve Saunders before he would sell it........

the actual transistion had a lot of "ah shiits" involved in it...
the first one we found was that they forgot to move the pictures over to the new forum's host, and they all got lost....

pissed all of us off, but it can't be helped. once done, it was fatal.

Well, I guess that answers that. Thanks for the very thorough answer.

I guess no one offered to give them the correct attitude adj if they didn't fix it :ROFL:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Caution

This is for anyone else who tries this mod. I went a step further and shaved 0.025" which was okay. I had head gaskets go 3 times before I realized the guy who planed my heads didn't take enough off up by the water exit. Fixed that and decided to go to near 0.040" using an 0.032" copper gasket and a little more shaving.

Because this has solid lifters I figured the redline for the 1200 would be similar to the 1000 so I ran it there occasionally. I believe I have also had a slight cracked head for three years now because it would occasionally under high rpm shoot a bunch of coolant out. I kept thinking it was the gaskets. I'm afraid it was a crack that only opened up at higher rpm or combustion pressure. I finally swapped that head and it appears to have cured it.

In my last gasket swap I found that:
A. High rpm and 0.032" gaskets and the pistons begin kissing the heads.
B. I'm really blessed. Or lucky. Your pick.

The caution I'm throwing out is to not go less than stock or minor planing of the heads. To do it right, you also need to enlarge the outer 4mm of the combustion chamber so the piston won't hit the heads. The 1000/1100 piston edges stay in the block, the 1200 comes up out of the block a litttle. Stick with the stock thickness head gasket which I think is 0.40".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #608
Where is Steve?

According to his profile he was last on the forum "Last Activity: 07-31-2015 08:03 AM". His website is gone: www.steves-cycles.com
I'm here. My life has had a few challenges in the 4 years since the B-Girl was finished. I plan to get back to building the SpeedWing as soon as my shiny new titanium knee will let me. Also plan post a complete and updated build log on the new web site which is currently being developed as well as on my FaceBook Page

Steve

601 - 609 of 609 Posts