Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Went out this evening for a little ride disconnected tender, turned key on, hit starter button and only got a click. I have been under the assumtion that my battery was bad and hence previous starting probs. This time it wouldn't turn over @ all. just click. Lights were bright. Got a voltmeter out to check battery and was surprised to fine after 15 min of trying to start her that I had 13.2V across battery term. Do you think it is the starter? Will it cost much to have the starter re & re?:stumped::stumped::stumped::stumped::(:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
imported post

Did you check for loose connectors/corrosion?:baffled::bat:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Errrrrrrrrrrr....kill switch?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Dave

All models prior to 97 will crank with the kill switch off.

Loose connection? Check all connections especially the main cables from battery to start relay and then to starter. Also check the main two ground cables. Check for voltage at the starter when you try to start.If all cables connections are good and voltage is at the starter terminal when you hit the button then your starter is bad.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

Take the left side cover off. While pushing the starter button rap the starter relay smartly with a screwdriver handle or something. Sometimes if it is the relay sticking that will help. And as said, check connections for looseness...

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The starter selenoid ( Relay) is where I would start looking.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
imported post

hi fysty-1, I agree that you might have a starting circuit problem. First I would put a charger on that battery and top it off ....14+/- volts. Next I would check both ends of the battery cables. The positive cable runs to the Starter solenoid. The Negative cable runs to the frame/Engine ground.The cable between the starter and starter solenoid will need to be checked also. Next I would get my multimeter out and see if I am getting full voltage on the positive cable to the starter solenoid AT the solenoid. While the bike is on the center stand and in Neutral push the starter button and see if you are getting voltage through the solenoid. More than likely you not. If not Replace the starter solenoid. If you are, get a set of jumper cables or heavy jumper leads and connect one end to the battery and the negative cable to the frame. Make sure the bike is in neutral and the E stop switch is OFF,touch the positive cable to the nut holding the wire on the starter. If the engine turns over freely it's not the starter but more than likely the starter solenoid. If the starter won't turn over the engine than it will have to be removed and either rebuilt or replaced. I have seen several on ebay for not much money. Personally I would take it to a motor shop and have it rewound as they can make the windings a bit stronger if you ask them to.

I didn't see what year bike you have so just a note saying that the 84's are different than the rest. Same body but different mountings.

Hope my babbling has helped.

Nick

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks all. I guess I'll need to get a multimeter:stumped:. Nick she is an 85:waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
imported post

Hi fisty-1, yea you can pick up a cheap multimeter at home depot or wally world for that matter. They are good enough to do what you need. There are a lot of starters for the 85 to 87's on the bay....

Nick

·
Village Whack Job...
7,902 Posts
imported post

I somehow doubt that the solenoid is your problem. That click when you hit the start button is the solenoid engaging. If you weren't hearing that click than the solenoid would be suspect.

Since you do hear it I would say the problem is after solenoid. Somewhere between it and the starter. I think the firt thing to try is jumping from the battery straight ot the starter. if it spins you know it's cgood and that your problem is between the starter and the solenoid. If it doesn't you know the atarter is bad and needs replacement or rebuilding.

I hate to be a doom cryer but you could have more than one problem. Also I'm not sure but you might want to check the 30 amp main fuse as well.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

on my 77 my float seals took a crap, and filled the left two cylinders with gas, all it would do is click.

That's possible, or I would think starter or connections

Pull your plugs and see if it will turn over, Do it outside away from everything else. When I did it in the garage I covered the wifes car with gas, She wasn't to happy with me. Whops:shock:

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
imported post

Loose connection :)

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

nickpipe2 wrote:
Hi fisty-1, yea you can pick up a cheap multimeter at home depot or wally world for that matter. They are good enough to do what you need. There are a lot of starters for the 85 to 87's on the bay....

Nick
Thanks Nick. As far as a starter is concerned, I'd rather deal with Whitey rather that flea bay. He has decent prices and ships quickly.:waving::waving::waving::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
I somehow doubt that the solenoid is your problem. That click when you hit the start button is the solenoid engaging. If you weren't hearing that click than the solenoid would be suspect.

Since you do hear it I would say the problem is after solenoid. Somewhere between it and the starter. I think the firt thing to try is jumping from the battery straight ot the starter. if it spins you know it's cgood and that your problem is between the starter and the solenoid. If it doesn't you know the atarter is bad and needs replacement or rebuilding.

I hate to be a doom cryer but you could have more than one problem. Also I'm not sure but you might want to check the 30 amp main fuse as well.
Man O Man do I feel stupid:doh::doh:. I never even thout about the fuse. DUH!!!!!:byebye::byebye::byebye::blushing::blushing::blushing:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

UPDATE!! CCSailor stopped by to lend a hand and lo and behold Baby started right up!:shock::shock: Well we checked all connections and all were tight so Neil says it could be solenoid not making proper contact or the battery is reacting to the load. He showed me how to short out the solenoid in case it happened again. Thanks to all for your superb suggestions and yes some are what Neil said. At least I now know where to physically look now. Thank-you Thank-you Thank-you :clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::clapper::cooldevil::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I just ordered a new solenoid off of Flea bay ( 24.95 ) Mother Honda wants 104.95. I don't know if this is the total cause of my hard starting problem but it makes sense and it sure won't hurt to have it new.
Here is the complete symtoms. Got home from work yesterday AM (50k Hwy) shut bike off in front of driveway to alter parking space a bit. Went to move bike, hit the button and @ first got "click" the on second try turned over a couple revs like low battery, tried a third time and "click" & on 4th she turned over as normal & started. I plugged the tender in and was expecting the red light to come on but green came on(storagecycle). Also when I try to start with clutch in (in gear), It turns very slow and then "clicks". Put in neutral and starts right up.:baffled::baffled::baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey Fysty, it sounds to me that it might be a poor connection with your clutch switch or it's wiring rather than the start relay. If the bike starts okay in neutral that pretty well eliminates the start relay as a cause. A poor connection with theclutch switch, could easily reduce the operating voltage across the start relay coil causing a weak closure of it's contacts which would increase the resistance, reducing the voltage available to the starter. You could check the clutch switch by pulling it's two connectors off and shorting them together. If the bike started okay that would prove the switch bad. Of course if it still acted up it might be the wires or a connector to the clutch switch. Either way it doesn't sound like a bad relay to me.

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Thanks Paul. Neil(ccsailor) came by to check it out showed me where to look for connections etc. All connections @ starter & solenoid are clean & solid. What you suggest is well worth looking into as a one of a possible area of problem but I have difficulty starting in neutral as well. It almost always starts after a few tries. I know most including me believe that " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" but in this case I can't see a disadvantage to re & re the solenoid. It probably will go eventually anyway. Is the clutch switch on the bars? I guess that's a stupid ?? as where els could it be. Don't mind me it is time to hit the feathers. Long night. While I am @ it, I'm going change out the plugs as well. I know this has nothing to do with the starting system but should help my mileage. Baby has 180,000 kms on her.:waving::waving::waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you're having problems with the bike in neutral as well a new relay could well be the answer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.